Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mid enclosures

How do you construct these?

And how much air space should you give them normally?

I saw one guy on a Mustang Forum use tupawear + sound deadener with a fiberglass coat on the outside.

Now designing / building boxes.
    (Only building sealed and aero port boxes.)
    PM me.

Feedback Thread

Refs: MSW Danny, atsaubrey (great seller), ampjunkielikeme, wgsj_fortvalley, tEh koRnDog, bad @SS chevy, Nismos14 (who is the man. )

BrianChia is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Mid enclosures

Designing enclosures for mid-woofers is the same as designing enclosures for sub-woofers. Unfortunately most of the time space is an issue (especially in kick panels) and the woofers never end up getting enough airspace. Mid-woofers can be enclosed in ported or sealed enclosures just like subs, and this will get you different performance and rolloff slopes for integration with the substage. A properly designed ported box can really enhance the midbass response of the woofer which everyone here complains about. Unfortunately most mids end up in leaky underdamped "enclosures" in the kick panels which are too small. The leakiness isn't necessarily bad, however; if it is properly damped it can act as aperiodic damping and this ends up being better in many cases than sealing the mid-woofer off completely. If the sealed enclosure is too small you end up losing most of the low end output (ie. the midbass) even though you might see a boost in the upper midbass/lower midrange. So it may not be a good idea to seal your mid completely unless it is designed to work well in a really small sealed box.

dragnix is offline LXIX

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    655 Post(s)

What he said, check to see if your mid actually need an enclosure. I had mine in an enclosure and the midbass ******. Put it in the doors and deadened everything and i'm a lot happier

IDSkoT is offline Resonating Reticular

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dragnix View Post
    What he said, check to see if your mid actually need an enclosure. I had mine in an enclosure and the midbass ******. Put it in the doors and deadened everything and i'm a lot happier
    That's the thing-- I looked everywhere and I can't figure out any place where it gives me a rough estimate of a good amount of air space.

I'm thinking about buying a set of Hertz HSK 165 comps. $330 shipped [I think that's a good deal. Most of the places I saw it was in Europe, and was selling for 222 BP [British Pounds], which is roughly $444 USD. If anything, I'd be paying retail.

But, I can't find any good info on enclosure types or if they're even necessary.

Now designing / building boxes.
    (Only building sealed and aero port boxes.)
    PM me.

Feedback Thread

Refs: MSW Danny, atsaubrey (great seller), ampjunkielikeme, wgsj_fortvalley, tEh koRnDog, bad @SS chevy, Nismos14 (who is the man. )

Closed Thread

User Tag List