Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Need help with an install design - Delema's

secplus2 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Need help with an install design - Delema's

I am in the process of getting all my equipment to install in my 06 civic ex. It's a sedan. I am haveing a delema in the trunk as to where to mount everything. I want to build a raised floor, that's not the problem. Here in lies the problem.

I have two small children and when I have them in my car, which isn't often cause we usually take my wife's car, but when I do I usually have an umbrella stroler. But I also play softball and I have quite a large bat bag. So needless to say I need some trunk space to put things in.

My first thought is to fiberglass a box in the rear corner of the trunk. I have a Rockford Fosgate P3S410. So I don't need much space which is why I chose the corner. This would be a good place for it I think.

The other thought would be to build a box and put it in the spare tire compartment in with the raised floor. But in order to do that i need to cover it with plexiglass or something that would withstand stuff being on top of it. If it is plexiglass then I'd cut slits in it so it wouldn't be a sealed cover. My question to this is will it affect the sound, and how much if so?

Aside of that any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Need help with an install design - Delema's

Welcome to the hole You don't have to use plexi, it can and is done a lot of times with mdf or other woods. If your slits or openings are large enough it shouldn't have that much affect at all. Start with as small of slits as you feel you can get away with and give it a listen. You here chuffing noise ( basically port noise ) then you need to open up your slits in your cover some more. Personally I would go with the corner enclosure. Leave your spare tire in place. Hate to have you out with the kids some where and have no spare to get them home

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I completely understand I don't really want to loose the spare tire either. The reason I wanted to use plexi was because that's what I'm using to cover the amps etc. so they can be seen. So I wanted the same look with the speaker. How much room do you suppose I need from the top of the speaker to the cover? I'm not sure how to figure out how far out the "excursion" I think is what it's called goes. Is there a way to figure that out other than just installing it and seeing where it's at?

The other thing is that if I did have to loose the spare tire it wouldn't be that big a deal because I have AAA and Honda Care so I have towing and all that junk. It is a hastle no doubt but I at least know I wouldn't be stranded on the side of the road with my girls or anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Nothing wrong with plexi. I will offer a warning that acrylics tend to scratch easy as crap. So be mindful of that with putting stuff on top of it. As for the room for excursion , an inch or so above the highest point of the surround would be more than enough

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Great! I will sit on that and think some more about my design. It's going to be a while before I do it anyway, because like I said, two kids + wife + housework + not much money for extras = no time which = slow install. So I want to definitely make sure I know what I want to do before I get elbow deep in it. Thanks for all your hlep. I truely appreciate it!

BrianChia is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes,if you will be putting anything on or against the transparent window, I'd use something a bit more scratch resistance, like polycarbonate. The corner solution will probably be the best option.

You could also do an IB or aperiodic damped into the main cabin if space is an issue.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok Brian, you'll maybe have to help me understand that. First what is Polycarbonate and where can I find it? Second what is IB and aperiodic damped. I'd love to get all this info. The more info the better prepared I am when it come build time! Thanks for the input!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What kind of fiberglass cloth do I need to use to build a box. I went to tap plastics here in sacramento, not sure if you know that one, but they have like 20 rolls of different stuff. Not sure what I need to be using since this is that first one I've done. Any suggestions? That's another reason I was hesitant on the corner box because I'm new at the fiberglassing stuff. Don't know anything about resin or cloth as far as what to use or anything like that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Icon14 Re: Need help with an install design - Delema's

Quote Originally Posted by secplus2 View Post
    Ok Brian, you'll maybe have to help me understand that. First what is Polycarbonate and where can I find it? Second what is IB and aperiodic damped. I'd love to get all this info. The more info the better prepared I am when it come build time! Thanks for the input!

Polycarbonate is another plastic. more scratch and impact resistance. You may have heard of Lexan. It's a brand name of polycarbonate.

IB stands for infinite baffle.
    http://www.the12volt.com/caraudio/boxes1.asp#1

An aperiodic enclosure is a subwoofer mounted in the smallest enclosure that it will physically fit with an aperiodic mat on one side. This mat allows the subwoofer to operate as if it were in an enclosure much larger due to the resistive effect of the aperiodic mat. AP is rather complex in the tuning of the ap mats
    Last edited by ramos; 04-10-2008 at 01:25 PM. Reason: forgot ap :)

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by secplus2 View Post
    What kind of fiberglass cloth do I need to use to build a box. I went to tap plastics here in sacramento, not sure if you know that one, but they have like 20 rolls of different stuff. Not sure what I need to be using since this is that first one I've done. Any suggestions? That's another reason I was hesitant on the corner box because I'm new at the fiberglassing stuff. Don't know anything about resin or cloth as far as what to use or anything like that.

For a sub enclosure I like to used biaxial mats. usually in the 12-20oz range. It makes build up go a lot quicker as you need fewer layers of the heavy stuff. But if you can't find it regular old chop mat will work. There are tons and tons of tutorials around the net now a days on making fiberglass enclosures. A google search for "fiberglass tutorials" returns quite a few hits.

Here's a good one to get you started
    http://chris.pfharlock.com/glass/

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have actually seen this one. It is a good one and I'll print it out this time. I can't wait to get started! Thanks so much for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Anytime man, it's what some of us are here for

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

mdillon is offline ummm......what?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

just make sure to be patient with the fiberglass, dont go too fast or too slow. as long as you glass in a cool invironment youll be ok.

'01 5.9 Dakota R/T
    HU: Pioneer Premier 680
    Front Stage: highs: B&G neo8 planars
    mid-bass: Hi-Vi Research 8" (x4)
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304095
    Subs: MB Quart Rwe304(x2)
    ported 4 cubes @ 30
    Amps: MB Quart Reference 4x50
    MB Quart Premium 1200.1D(1ohm)

Quote Originally Posted by traksta15 View Post
    sad but true.....but remember, fat girls give better head cause they're always hungry.

BrianChia is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdillon View Post
    as long as you glass in a cool invironment youll be ok.
    Can it just be kinda cool, or does it have to be TOTALLY SWEET!?

Closed Thread