Closed Thread

Reload Thread: First Box - Audioque SDC 2.5 15's (2) - SUV/Ported/Lots Of Room. Need Help

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First Box - Audioque SDC 2.5 15's (2) - SUV/Ported/Lots Of Room. Need Help

This is probably my 3rd setup Ive had to make a new box for, but Ive never done a complete MDF one myself, Ive always done custom sealed fiberglass boxes.

I need some help building and designing a box for some Audioque SDC 2.5 15" wangers.

First let check the work area:
    http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1635/dsc02995no1.jpg

Not a pic of my car but the same vehicle :P

My first dilemna is box placement, I see 3 options.

1- Plain jane square box, made to fit between the wheelwells and probably pretty tall to get the volume

2- Square box, but I would like it to go OVER the 2 wheel wells on both sides of the vehicle, you know kind of build square indents in the box where those wells are so the box can sit ontop of it and use that wasted area Id be losing with option 1. This would obviously change the inside shape of the box though, dont know if that matters. And the complexity would increase a bit I guess. I like this box because I wouldnt have to make it as tall to get the volume and Id still have some trunk...

3- Box built to one side, built to rest overtop of one wheel well and REALLY tall, like to the ceiling...? Just an idea

As for dimensions, what u see is not what you get, my car comes with a thing called lounge seating, basically the front seats fold into the rears, the rears recline back, and youve got a couple beds, I want to retain that.... so the dimensions Im giving are based on KEEPING that area needed for reclinability.

These are rough number, but I believe I had about 36" between wheel wells. 48" from left to right ONTOP of the wheels wells, 26" depth from front to back and it was 17" in height to the top of my back seat.

I dont know if I want to go ABOVE my rear seat, and lose my rear view visibility, but it can always be an option....

So can you guys give me some general pointers until I get some hard numbers. Like I cant even find the recommended box volume for a ported box for these subs not even from Audioque, havent got a reply to my email.

I'll also need a tune frequency to I guess, this is going to be mainly a daily SQL box, I listen to a lot of metal, mostly 3 days grace and such. But when I want to listen to Dre/biggie etc and the hard hitting bass tracks. I want this **** to SLAM.

BTW- these will be powered by a txa 1000D, giving them full recmonded wattage.

More info later

DJL
    DJL is offline Owner, Audioque

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)

Re: First Box - Audioque SDC 2.5 15's (2) - SUV/Ported/Lots Of Room. Need Help

Quote Originally Posted by WOT View Post
    This is probably my 3rd setup Ive had to make a new box for, but Ive never done a complete MDF one myself, Ive always done custom sealed fiberglass boxes.

I need some help building and designing a box for some Audioque SDC 2.5 15" wangers.

First let check the work area:
    http://img362.imageshack.us/img362/1635/dsc02995no1.jpg

Not a pic of my car but the same vehicle :P

My first dilemna is box placement, I see 3 options.

1- Plain jane square box, made to fit between the wheelwells and probably pretty tall to get the volume

2- Square box, but I would like it to go OVER the 2 wheel wells on both sides of the vehicle, you know kind of build square indents in the box where those wells are so the box can sit ontop of it and use that wasted area Id be losing with option 1. This would obviously change the inside shape of the box though, dont know if that matters. And the complexity would increase a bit I guess. I like this box because I wouldnt have to make it as tall to get the volume and Id still have some trunk...

3- Box built to one side, built to rest overtop of one wheel well and REALLY tall, like to the ceiling...? Just an idea

As for dimensions, what u see is not what you get, my car comes with a thing called lounge seating, basically the front seats fold into the rears, the rears recline back, and youve got a couple beds, I want to retain that.... so the dimensions Im giving are based on KEEPING that area needed for reclinability.

These are rough number, but I believe I had about 36" between wheel wells. 48" from left to right ONTOP of the wheels wells, 26" depth from front to back and it was 17" in height to the top of my back seat.

I dont know if I want to go ABOVE my rear seat, and lose my rear view visibility, but it can always be an option....

So can you guys give me some general pointers until I get some hard numbers. Like I cant even find the recommended box volume for a ported box for these subs not even from Audioque, havent got a reply to my email.

I'll also need a tune frequency to I guess, this is going to be mainly a daily SQL box, I listen to a lot of metal, mostly 3 days grace and such. But when I want to listen to Dre/biggie etc and the hard hitting bass tracks. I want this **** to SLAM.

BTW- these will be powered by a txa 1000D, giving them full recmonded wattage.

More info later
    I don't recall an e-mail but I could be wrong. I will design you a box. Send me a new e-mail in the morning and I will knock it out for you.

dj

bad @SS chevy is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

dj is a pimp

2011 Grand Cherokee Limited
    2 12" RD Alpha Weights v2's
    2 12" Atomic ELE's
    2 12" AQ Hdc3's
    1 12" Atomic. APX
    ARC 2500.1

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ya hes nice. Im not looking for you to design me a box though TJ as I havent even decided on where I exaclty have to place the box like I put in the first post, dont even know how big it has to be.

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I think I deicded this is how I want it, mainly cause its feasible, simple, ive never done it before, and Id have some trunk space ONtop of my box (not a great idea i no lol, but it works)

Id LIKE to build it like this, but am waiting on cubic inchaes needed and tune and such from TJ

http://img396.imageshack.us/img396/5...c029952aw7.jpg

So basically I got a pretty basic box ( no weird edges like I was planning) thats easy to find the volume of and mount stuff to. I was HOPING to maybe do a slot port (red on the pic) that went from the top of the box, to the bottom (using both walls as port walls) and then just having to put in 2 simple wood pieces to length and id have a port.... right?

I was thinking about doing sub up port back because thats what ive been seeing on the forums, for an suv, but my only other options since I want this to be less than 15" tall is sub up port up.... opinions?

Like I said I would make a beauty panel for the top and back, to follow the contours of the car I guess for the top, aswell as for the back with a cutout for the port. Hopefully carpeted with my cars colour type....

Any opinions on my idea?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Ya hes nice. Im not looking for you to design me a box though TJ as I havent even decided on where I exaclty have to place the box like I put in the first post, dont even know how big it has to be.
    its "DJ"

Refs-Skip01, Jmanjr, goodie, DubbDesigns, joem1cha3l, Kawasaki STX-R, audiobahnuser18, djhn9, Jeeper09, cityboy21, sporty_drew, FLOSSINON24S, wong05tsx, thaster, Acizzle423, soloXgt, mobeious, Cloak559, ldyzlvudis06, pickup1

SeanDub is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

So you want a false floor that is all but up to the top edge of the seats? Whatever works for you I guess..

Deck: Pioneer Premier 880 w/ iPod
    In-dash: AudioControl Epic-150
    Sub: Digital Designs 9515e/f Dual 1.0
    Amp: Atomic 5000.1 @ 0.5 ohm
    Box: 3.85 @ 36 hz with 66 sq in of port

Refs: fwb_1234, Hopes Audio, Louisiana_CRX, astrolade, nhustlar, teamquakecelica, walkychalky, negative3five, TypeRBass, jblanford (x2), massiveaudiocw, KnOkIn It 420, hoss, xtremebassjunky, trow100, MillzThaYungin, IonSQL, matrxx dude, yunvme666, vitveet, PWNED, Team H&K, jk32sho

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You guys sure do like commenting on some useless things.... other than what this thread was meant for. Yes the floor will go all the way up to about 6" below the seatline. This will hide the gaps the box creastes, AND make a good corner mounting surface for both my amps (stacked) and a mount for my xbox and bring it within arms reach and just a turnaround away when I am watching it. There will also be a beauty panel on the BACK, to hide the gaps there aswell. Coverring the box is my only problem.... never done a nice one in thin carpet

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cmon boys!

Does dryer ducting work for a port? is it it to thin and would maybe resonate? I found some 8-10" in my house today that just scrap I could make 2 nice cirlce ports with....

rain377 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I would think it would be too thin.

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote for the sub specs from DJ

"4 cubes NET each with slot port. 8 cubic foot box requires 128 sq” of port area 16” long. Tunes to 40 Hz. Displacement of sub is .23"

So basically I could try and make something in my area that has a NET of 8 cubic feet, I gotta pull out my current system to see how big exactly thats gotta be, **** that a big box! When he says 128" of port area, that means that height X width have to equal 128 right, then I just need to make it 16" long.

When he says NET displacement of the box, that means that I include my port displacement and .25 cubes of sub displacement into the 8 cubes right, so I basically just start playing with box dimensions until I get an internal cubic feet of VERY CLOSE to 8 cubes. Put that slot port facing the hatch (using the top and bottom of the box as port walls)

And voila I have a 40hz box to spec? Think I got that...

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

?????????????

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote for the sub specs from DJ

"4 cubes NET each with slot port. 8 cubic foot box requires 128 sq” of port area 16” long. Tunes to 40 Hz. Displacement of sub is .23"

So basically I could try and make something in my area that has a NET of 8 cubic feet, I gotta pull out my current system to see how big exactly thats gotta be, **** that a big box! When he says 128" of port area, that means that height X width have to equal 128 right, then I just need to make it 16" long.

When he says NET displacement of the box, that means that I include my port displacement and .25 cubes of sub displacement into the 8 cubes right, so I basically just start playing with box dimensions until I get an internal cubic feet of VERY CLOSE to 8 cubes. Put that slot port facing the hatch (using the top and bottom of the box as port walls)

And voila I have a 40hz box to spec? Think I got that...
    /.///

perfecxionX is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" Charles Darwin

refs---
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=219529&highlight=perfecxionx
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=259748
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/itrader.php?u=28091
    http://www.caraudioclassifieds.org/forum/itrader.php?u=916
    http://myworld.ebay.com/perfecxionx/

WOT
    WOT is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I read that already, does not answer the specific questions I asked. Thanks though

Closed Thread