Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reload Thread: Clamshell? Bandpass? Wanna do 150 burps.

SeanDub is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Clamshell? Bandpass? Wanna do 150 burps.

Alright, well I just got my AudioControl Epic 150 in my dash, and of course, now I want to be louder. My 9515 is at 146 right now off my 2k6d at 0.5 ohm on a 45 hz tone. I want to break 150, and I'm thinking about doing something fun this summer. I don't want to buy a pair of HDC3 15s or another 9515 or anything like that. Also, I want to be able to use my 2k6d because people are bashing them, their resale value has dropped, and I love the little thing.

Therefore, lately, I've been looking for a way to greatly increase my surface area and use a sealed box. I thought about a bunch of 15s, like the MAW 15s from Mach 5, but I don't have the space to put enough back there without my amp burning them up. However, I did find a great deal on some Audiobahn AW1051t subs. Little 10" woofers, handle around 300 rms. My first system was a pair of AW1251t 12s, and they were great back in the day. So I think the 10s will be good for this plan.

So here is my idea:
    10 Audiobahn AW1051t 10" Dual 4 ohm subs (all of them will wire to 0.8 ohm)
    They will only cost me $345 for all 10, so for $34.50 shipped a piece brand new, I think it's a good deal.

Now on to the box. Quite frankly I don't have enough space to run 10 10s on one surface. But I don't want to put 10 10s back there and just get a bunch of cancellation, so I want to make sure this will work. My initial thought was a sealed clamshell, around 7.5 cubes net, for 0.75 per 10. However, is there any theory behind clamshell boxes? I have found none.

Something like this, but with 10 10s instead of 8 15s:

But that was just my initial thought, would a bandpass be better? I don't know anything about a bandpass, so I thought I would ask.

Deck: Pioneer Premier 880 w/ iPod
    In-dash: AudioControl Epic-150
    Sub: Digital Designs 9515e/f Dual 1.0
    Amp: Atomic 5000.1 @ 0.5 ohm
    Box: 3.85 @ 36 hz with 66 sq in of port

Refs: fwb_1234, Hopes Audio, Louisiana_CRX, astrolade, nhustlar, teamquakecelica, walkychalky, negative3five, TypeRBass, jblanford (x2), massiveaudiocw, KnOkIn It 420, hoss, xtremebassjunky, trow100, MillzThaYungin, IonSQL, matrxx dude, yunvme666, vitveet, PWNED, Team H&K, jk32sho

mjf
    mjf is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Clamshell? Bandpass? Wanna do 150 burps.

their resale value has dropped due to the problems that have arose with them.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...t=sundown+test

not exactly a surprise. good luck though.

anyway, a clamshell in a sense acts like a bandpass due to the opening acting like a port. there are ways to calculate it and tune it through that, but i honestly havent been able to figure it out myself.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mjf View Post
    their resale value has dropped due to the problems that have arose with them.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...t=sundown+test

not exactly a surprise. good luck though.

anyway, a clamshell in a sense acts like a bandpass due to the opening acting like a port. there are ways to calculate it and tune it through that, but i honestly havent been able to figure it out myself.
    Yes I saw the thread. I clamped mine. It did 2500 rms @ 2.4 ohm on a poor electrical. It's **** good enough for me.

As far as the clamshell information, I understand that. I was wondering if the angles affect the output. Also, does placement on the slanted face affect how the subs load?

Refs: fwb_1234, Hopes Audio, Louisiana_CRX, astrolade, nhustlar, teamquakecelica, walkychalky, negative3five, TypeRBass, jblanford (x2), massiveaudiocw, KnOkIn It 420, hoss, xtremebassjunky, trow100, MillzThaYungin, IonSQL, matrxx dude, yunvme666, vitveet, PWNED, Team H&K, jk32sho

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Nothing? I'm just looking to see if there is more to clamshell boxes than the slanting and opening. I hope there is.

tooloud4tv is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

id run 4 18" Mjs if it were me in an clamshell i honestly think it would be louder.

Had some problems but working them out donpisto is an grate guy for working with me still!

mjf
    mjf is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well you have to think of it in the sense of a port, because thats all it is

with the opening being slanted it will change the port area, in which case needs to be calculated differently.

if i can figure out the exact numbers ill help you out.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tooloud4tv View Post
    id run 4 18" Mjs if it were me in an clamshell i honestly think it would be louder.
    I would, but 4 of them total to $464 shipped. I can swing the $345 off my measly tax return from my summer job easily. Sure the 4 18s would be louder, but I dunno if I wanna pony up the cash for something that will only be in there for the summer. I might though.

I still wanna know how to calculate the affect of different slant angles on output and sound.

jdawg is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

calmshell, just angle it to get the volume you need. The pic you posted is from 97cavy's truck on here. You could ask him. I think he did first in finals? With the huge opening he has it doesnt act like a port really, if you had them closer it could be similar to a bandpass I guess. He did it to get the volume he needed for the 18's

refs
    woc47, nigro013, defconx3, louisiana_crx, bld 25, supa_c, lancer1978, sxkicker89, 310w6, more, i forget

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg View Post
    calmshell, just angle it to get the volume you need. The pic you posted is from 97cavy's truck on here. You could ask him. I think he did first in finals?
    I know it's 97cavy's pic, I remembered it from his for sale thread and stole it to post here. I messaged him a day ago, but he hasn't been on in 3 days. I'm hoping he gets on sometime soon though so he can get back to me.

And what do you mean just angle it to get the volume you need? Meaning that the angle had little impact on anything other than the volume taken from the box? Does it affect output?

tooloud4tv is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

personally if ur gonna spend all taht time and money on doing an clamshell id def put some subs that will be worth it not saying those audiobahns are crap either

Had some problems but working them out donpisto is an grate guy for working with me still!

Skip01 is offline Diggy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Why u need a clamshell to break a 150?

But i do love the idea....do some obscure subs that no one likes or something and make it silly loud by adding a bunch of them

YOUTUBE VIDZ:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Skip01

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

If you get the woofers too close it may have some effect or act like a port, just keep it enough so its like 2 big sealed boxes. In other words dont worry about it.

refs
    woc47, nigro013, defconx3, louisiana_crx, bld 25, supa_c, lancer1978, sxkicker89, 310w6, more, i forget

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

i seen in another thread his puter is broke and his phone isnt working right with his phone

refs

Skip01 is offline Diggy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

From what i read and seen i dont think its as unforgiving as a wrong ported box

It acts like a 4th order and maybe the angle of the ends and opening play with final tuning, but go for it

YOUTUBE VIDZ:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Skip01

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skip01 View Post
    Why u need a clamshell to break a 150?

But i do love the idea....do some obscure subs that no one likes or something and make it silly loud by adding a bunch of them
    Yeah, I just want a ton of cone area off the power I already have, and I want to do something fun and different. That Bahn series ain't bad for what it is (a 300 rms sub for $35 shipped that can take the 300 rms) they just catch a bad rep because, well, they are Bahns. The 4 18" MJs would be awesome, get louder, and probably sound better, but I'm finding it harder to jump off the Bahns when it's 10 10s for under $350 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by Skip01 View Post
    From what i read and seen i dont think its as unforgiving as a wrong ported box

It acts like a 4th order and maybe the angle of the ends and opening play with final tuning, but go for it
    That's what I want to hear. I have a design for a box - all 10 in 7.29 cubes sealed with using the 7, 24, 25 right triangle for the angles, gives about 16.x degrees. The whole thing would be 20" tall, 40" wide, and 28" deep. ***** though because my MacBook doesn't have a program like Paint.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast