Closed Thread

Reload Thread: amp remote wire

rikky79 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 amp remote wire

I had a smaller amp running a 12" Xplode in my car. I swapped out the amp and added a 12" JL W0. Everything worked great the first week and then where my remote wire is hooked up to, it starting blowing the fuse. It's been blowing the fuse daily now and I have to keep replacing them. Yesterday, it cut off again and my trunk was smoking because I burned up the entire remote wire and melted it to everything it was touching. What's wrong? Wire too small (it's small, didn't think of switching it with the bigger amp), fuse size (30 amp), what? Think I burned up the amp or just the wire? What do i need to do and where should I hook it up to now?

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: amp remote wire

Originally posted by rikky79
    I had a smaller amp running a 12" Xplode in my car. I swapped out the amp and added a 12" JL W0. Everything worked great the first week and then where my remote wire is hooked up to, it starting blowing the fuse. It's been blowing the fuse daily now and I have to keep replacing them. Yesterday, it cut off again and my trunk was smoking because I burned up the entire remote wire and melted it to everything it was touching. What's wrong? Wire too small (it's small, didn't think of switching it with the bigger amp), fuse size (30 amp), what? Think I burned up the amp or just the wire? What do i need to do and where should I hook it up to now?
    Have you checked your remote wire to see if the insulation has been scraped off some where along the line ? Is it just the remote wire ?

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    As far as I know, the wire and insulation were fine. No scrapes on it that I know. Maybe it got pinched somewhere and that caused it to burn up. I don't know. it was just the remote wire. Totall fried it and melted the insulation all over anything it was touching. Think it was just a problem with the wire and re-running a new wire might make the difference? Think the amp was damaged any? I haven't checked the power to it since. Where is a good place to connect the remote wire to for power?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    The best place is your head unit if it has a remote turn on lead or power antennae lead. Otherwise a sitched 12v source will do the trick. As far as the amp being screwed I really couldn't tell you. But you could always test it after you run your new remote .

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    What do you think was the problem? Pinch wire or peeled insulation? Think it might have been a fuse size problem? I've NEVER had that sort of problem before.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Sounds like the remote was shorted out. The fuse isn't for the remote wire. It's for the main power comig into the amp. The remote terminal draws hardly any current at all.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    the fuse that the remote was hooked up to kept blowing, not the fuse for the power to the amp. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Originally posted by rikky79
    the fuse that the remote was hooked up to kept blowing, not the fuse for the power to the amp. Thanks.
    What kind of amp ? Is the fuse inline with the remote wire. Or is it on the amp itself ?

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's a Rockford 301S. The remote was hooked up to a different power source since no remote on the headunit. The power source it was wired to kept blowing cause me to loose that function of whatever it was also. Wired it again yesterday and works alright... found a source on the headunit to run for now. Got a new unit coming in the mail. So it will be swapped out on Monday.

Thanks for the help.

Closed Thread