Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another Kicker L7 Help Thread

Ive been a long time lurker finally found a need to post.
    I have a L7 4ohm dvc 12 running off of a kicker 700.5 amp thats rated on the birth sheet at 931w 420ish rms untill I can find some one to trade me a 1000.1 or 750.1

I listen to a very wide selection from metal to rap to clasical music but mainly I love hard rock like pantera and want a combo of spl and sql "after reading i know i wont get the best sql from a L7 but thats what I have.

So after my life story I want to see what size box and tuning I should run. I have a prefab box a friend gave me but it is way to small. I have a 89 crown so size isnt a big deal. I was thinking about 2.5 cuft but not sure of the tuning.

Thanks for the help

Platinumxpimp is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Another Kicker L7 Help Thread

I would say tune the box to around 32hz

REFS: ZeroGuage, blaze383, 310w6, wptightend, deano17, awpsome

Girr is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

The L712 I have is a 06 the manual says the fs is 34hz is going under this putting the speaker at risk at all? I know its only 2hz but wanna be sure. Im on a budget thats why its a kicker l7 lol. Plus Im running it about 200w under rms.

I was also wondering about securing the sub to the box. Im tired of the old wood screws and can't find the bolts @ a local store or even name them lol. Im looking for a set up where you drill your hole the nut peice goes in from the inside of the box and has "feet/spikes" to lock into the wood and when you scew the bolt in it pulls into the wood for a secure hold.
    Last edited by Girr; 03-16-2008 at 04:40 PM. Reason: extra stuff

Girr is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another question is. What about the mdf with the sandable oak pannels on it? Can it be used the same as reg mdf? The reason I ask is unless I wanna spend $30 in gass I gotta wait a week for my local store to get it standard 3/4 mdf ordered in.

budget76 is offline fawkin' newb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

MDF is MDF, as long as it's 3/4" and not particleboard, you're fine. You'll probably spend a hefty amount more on the stuff you're talking about.

If it were me, i'd wait for regular MDF to come in, and order T-nuts as well since you don't want to secure the sub with screws. May I ask why? My setup's been fine pounding daily with wood screws holding the sub. Unless you take the sub out regularly, no need to deal with anything else.

PAST: 1976 International Scout. JVC head unit, pioneer 6x9's, Focal 5.25 comps, and a Kicker S12L7 in 3.25 cubes at 37hz: Crunch PZI 1500.1 amp at 1 ohm. 1/0 throughout.
    Replaced the factory 8 track and single 4x7 speaker behind the dash

PRESENT: 95 325TI. JVC HU, 5.25" PG RSD, Sony Xplod 604EQX 4ch built in EQ, 10" MB Quart Discus in custom molded 'glass enclosure

Refs: JLJunkieMX107/ HawaiianBassHed/ bk12321/NightDrifter05/Annao2485/nitro_freak1/tapout/juan_caliente/fasfocus00/TheFiverMan/Louisiana_CRX

Girr is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have stripped one to many holes in boxes with just standard screws. Plus I'm thinking of building a second box tuned for straight spl once I get a bigger amp. In reading other threads here (soooo much help) I think I'm going to use threaded wood inserts for securing my subs instead of the T-nuts. But thanks much for the info. They wanted $44 for the oak skinned one and only 22.50 for a reg sheet.

Ps found almost a full sheet of 3/4 in my garage cleaning it out hahaha. Finally got warm enough I pulled kids toys ext. out and I find a sheet with a 14x14 cutout from a project I worked on last fall.

Closed Thread

User Tag List