Re: Porting a sealed enclosure
.65 cubes for a ported sounds mighty small.. you might not see the benefits of having a ported enclosure if it's so small... on winISD at least. Anyway, onto the questions (bear in mind that it's my opinions, I am not an expert, merely relaying what I have learnt in the forum as I understood it best) Originally posted by jewsuphoesdown Goal: Either port my current box, ( .65 c.i. QLOGIC 10" sealed ), or build a new one.
Using a 10W6v2 with 500 watts rms.
Box is sat where passenger's feet go in my single cab '83 F100 truck.
(1) Which frequency would this box best be tuned to considering placemtn and sub?
(2) Is it even PLAUSIBLE to attempt to port this box?
(3) Would using more than one port give me any benefits?
On www.jlaudio.com the picture i am getting is the answer to 3 is "no"
(4) Does box shape matter when using a port (cylindrical), keeping in mind small volume?
I could always up the volume to .75 to .85 c.i.
(5) MUST THE PORT BE INSIDE??? If plausible, why not have it "half in, half out" the box?
Wouldnt that allow me to use a bigger port?
1. I'm not so sure...
2. Yes, it is possible, but with the work involved, you might be better off making a new one. I don't see much difference.
3. Yeah, I think I will agree with JL. THe only benefit is less air turbulence. But you'd need a MUCH longer port to gain the same frequencies.
4. As far as I know, I don't think the shape matters. It only matters once the enclosure reaches the size of a bus.
5. Ports can be outside of the box, saving you precious volume inside the box. If the port is short, I guess you can get away with it easily. Problems might start if the port(s) get longer, like 15" or something like that. It'd be a whole new air conditioning duct in there.
bigger ports(diameter) means you will also have to use a much longer port. small diameter ports will be shorter, but at the cost of turbulence.
ps. You've got a very good sub there... wish I could have something like that...
Sony C90, 210 EQ
Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
RF 60.2 amp
Soundstream picasso 1400.1D
Bass drive-by's are uncool.