Closed Thread

Reload Thread: thinking about building my own box what would i need?

99grandprixGT is offline now got an 04 grand prix

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thinking about building my own box what would i need?

since i don't have enough money right now to pay someone to make me a box, I'm thinking about making my own. i have a jig saw and a drill. i figure i need to get some clamps to hold the 2 pieces together as they dry. but can i even get straight pieces with just a jig saw? so i would need the sheet of MDF, some glue, and some silicone sealer for the inside of the box. i would probably end up using screws also since i probably wont have the straights cuts. so what do you guys think? should i even attempt it? should i wait till i have more money and get someone else to do it. thanks. by the way i was think something like this:

http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?i...z65sqinnx2.png

speedfreak28 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: thinking about building my own box what would i need?

invest in a circular saw and clamps first, if you have a level work area, you'll be able to get straight cuts, find a straight edge and clamp that down as a saw guide, even without the guide you'll be way better off then a jigsaw.
    good luck

2005 QC dodge ram for now
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Sold To:defj. HowLowd, backthepack, thegreatestpenn, acura2005, headbussaboi, SPY, rc10mike, protown, flipGTO, ECS23, Jeremy M, dt053, r.sosa, blubberbutt, macq32,civicman07, fast85_gt, fatboyracing, cbrei1023, 96tbird, ado, SPL-Master,JHughes, FJF, blackdragonaudi, bnacht, niggz89, ggjeff, SoCalBean420
    Bought From Blunt, Kawasaki SXT-R, Kickinaudio, valant_94gt, HATCHET_WARRIOR, orangecounty1, teh korndog, kmanian, NJAV1, mr_kebo, lilmaniac2, 99grandprixGT, JBLCamry, jh8909
    traded with dropped_mazda,

budget76 is offline fawkin' newb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I agree with speed, but you CAN do it with a jig saw if you set it up right.

Draw out all your cuts on the wood. Clamp down something straight to the MDF so that you can have the jig saw ''ride'' against it and make a straight cut. Take your time with it.

Circular saw with above method is about 100x better FYI. Search, has been discussed MANY MANY times.

PAST: 1976 International Scout. JVC head unit, pioneer 6x9's, Focal 5.25 comps, and a Kicker S12L7 in 3.25 cubes at 37hz: Crunch PZI 1500.1 amp at 1 ohm. 1/0 throughout.
    Replaced the factory 8 track and single 4x7 speaker behind the dash

PRESENT: 95 325TI. JVC HU, 5.25" PG RSD, Sony Xplod 604EQX 4ch built in EQ, 10" MB Quart Discus in custom molded 'glass enclosure

Refs: JLJunkieMX107/ HawaiianBassHed/ bk12321/NightDrifter05/Annao2485/nitro_freak1/tapout/juan_caliente/fasfocus00/TheFiverMan/Louisiana_CRX

IDSkoT is offline Resonating Reticular

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

x2 for circular saw. Jigsaws, especially after use for a bit, start to kink up. This is most aparent when you skimp out on a good blade. I've even had a jigsaw get caught and shoot out of my hands... [My Dad's a cheap-*** and won't buy new blades... or good ones at that]

What I used for my straight edges was a 6 foot straight piece of flat metal [It was laying around, don't ask], and a wall. Push up against the wall with someone holding it straight against the wall, making sure it was straight and just run across it. But, I highly recommend something better than someone holding it... like clamps. If you want, you can cut a piece across the end straight across of the full MDF board, and use the end side as your flat edge to guide across since all of those cuts are done by a machine and are hella-straight unless it's warped.

Good luck, and post pics.

EDIT:: When putting in the screws, make sure to use a 'guide drill'. AKA Put in a drill bit slightly smaller than the screw you're using [or completely smaller, point is, smaller] and drill in then screw in with the screw. This lessens the chances of buldging and coming out of the sides. I've never done it, personally. But, a lot of people (who make a lotm ore boxes than I) live by it. I wish I had, I have 1 or 2 screws on mine that're buldging. I think a general consensus for the size of the bit is 1/8".

Oh, and use 3/4-1" MDF. Even if you have a POS sub, it's better to spend a little bit more money on thicker wood that you know will sound good and not flex.

Now designing / building boxes.
    (Only building sealed and aero port boxes.)
    PM me.

Feedback Thread

Refs: MSW Danny, atsaubrey (great seller), ampjunkielikeme, wgsj_fortvalley, tEh koRnDog, bad @SS chevy, Nismos14 (who is the man. )

Closed Thread