Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Plexiglass box???

junocdx is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 Plexiglass box???

Hey guys. I'm wanting to build a box for my new system, which will have 2 eD K's. Havn't decided what size yet on the speakers though. BUT.. I'm wanting to make my box COMPLETELY out of plexiglass. If anyone can give me any advice or help, it'd be appreciated. I'm just wanting to make sure it's possible and not a bad idea. Thanks in advance for the help!!

abcdefg is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    its possible to make it, ive heard it isnt cheap to do it

Pioneer Premier DEH-660
    1 12inch ED k
    2 12inch RE HC's
    Hifonics brutus 1000d
    infinity kappa 6 1/2 components
    polk 5 1/4's
    US Acoustics USX2080
    sony cd player-4sale
    jensen 4's- 4sale

check this out guys:
    http://www.sounddomain.com/id/tumultgoboomboom

Aim= wrde2005
    Email= [email protected]
    Aol instant message= wrde333

Matador is offline -= StillBumping =-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    u goin w Ks then?
    it will prob be expensive, n might be a little bit hard. u need to get some special bit to drill into 'glass.
    wat u can do instead of making the whole box of plexiglass ( it hink u got a truck), make the front plexiglass, n maybe even the top. like just some parts so that u can see thru.

mgaidica is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    well ur box will cost more than ur subs, usually not a good sign... but anyway, ide say just make a nice fiberglass instead w/ plexi in front or something, all lexi box's IMO look bad...

2x JBL 1200.1 for sale...

AIM- Mgaidica

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by mgaidica
    well ur box will cost more than ur subs, usually not a good sign... but anyway, ide say just make a nice fiberglass instead w/ plexi in front or something, all lexi box's IMO look bad...

I have the hook up on the plexiglass, and I can get enough of it for pretty cheap. I dont know ANYTHING about using fiberglass, nor where I can get it, so even if I did find some, I'd have to annoy more people on AIM by asking them questions every time they're online. ( LoL Matador ) I think a box with a wood side and back with a plexi front would just look stupid. But thats my opinion. If anyone can give me details as to how I would use the plexiglass or even fiberglass, or some websites to check out, I'd appreciate it. Later

dave_3148 is offline fuggun "a" man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by mgaidica
    same here imo plexi boxes are ugly. nothing like seeing a carpeted box matching the interior

paikiah is offline Wangaholic

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    It's been done before, 100% plexiglas box...

Maybe I should scan the pic of blaupunkt's demo porsche, it had a plexi bandpass..(hey, it was '96, EVERYONE thought bandpasses were awesome)

Even if you know someone who can get cheap plexi, it will STILL be expensive for you to gain 3/4" or thicker acrylic cheap. Drilling wouldn't be THAT hard, you could use wood bits and go slow, maybe a bit of lubrication to keep heat minimal.

You don't need to bolt it, if you are fantastic with acrylic glue. Acrylic glue would also seal the chambers really well, cause all it's doing is melting the plastic..sorta like wood glue. Silicone will look horrible i there, even if you use clear types.

Even if you get yourself a sealed enclosure, you better make sure the cuts are done with pin-point accuracy. It's gonna be a pain if you don't apply the right amount of glue on it. one smear and your box is ruined.

You also gotta know that plexi is sooooooo easy to scratch, easier than CD's. I guess you gotta cover them with something when on the move.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    Seas 27TDF/C, RE XXX 6.5, custom xo (dyn 240GT sitting idle)
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22
    Soundstream picasso 1400.1D

Bass drive-by's are uncool.

Matador is offline -= StillBumping =-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'd have to annoy more people on AIM by asking them questions every time they're online. ( LoL Matador )
    hmm, wonder who?

i saw one box made entirely of plexiglass on ebay once, tried that.

and, i odnt hitnk i put it right, but u can do everythign MDF n plexiglass the back of ht ebox, so u 'll c the magnet n stuff, it looks neat. but other way prob will look gay for sho.

Wonderbread is offline Against Avatar Theft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    just one thing to remember if you make your box out of flexiglass...
    make it super thick... it liikes to flex, lol.
    also, make usre its cut properly, they can be a real ***** to cut without cracking etc.

MSN - [email protected]
    Add me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Teal
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerupper View Post
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by Wonderbread
    just one thing to remember if you make your box out of flexiglass...
    make it super thick... it liikes to flex, lol.
    also, make usre its cut properly, they can be a real ***** to cut without cracking etc.
    I don't think the average Joe can cut acrylic easy. Even if you have gobs of lubricant with a jig, it's not gonna look too good...

the best bet would be to get it pre-cut. I'm sure they will do it, sicne you'll already be paying a heck of a lot to get 4 X 8ft 3/4" plexi..

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks

Thanks for all the posts guys. I think I'm just going to do all MDF with a plexi front, because I want to be able to see the wiring and sub casing/magnet on the inside, because I'll be lining it all with LEDs and pretty stuff. :-D But one more thing.. is it ok for my magnets to be touching the back of the box? They aren't flush with it, but they are up against it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: thanks

Originally posted by junocdx
    Thanks for all the posts guys. I think I'm just going to do all MDF with a plexi front, because I want to be able to see the wiring and sub casing/magnet on the inside, because I'll be lining it all with LEDs and pretty stuff. :-D But one more thing.. is it ok for my magnets to be touching the back of the box? They aren't flush with it, but they are up against it.
    ok, if your magnets are touching, are they at an angle? the sub has a pole vent in the center, and that shouldn't be blocked.. it's a cooling port for the vc's..

and if the magnets touch the box, you might cause excessive vibrations.

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

Wonderbread is offline Against Avatar Theft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    ya, thats whta i meant man...
    its not good to harve it touching..
    try and give it a couple inches of backspace

MSN - [email protected]
    Add me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Teal
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerupper View Post
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

No, the port whole isn't covered. It's just one little part of the magnet that is touching. I really CAN'T give it any extra room. My box is about as big as it can be right now. When I get my 10s, I'll work on making more room in the box. The box does vibrate an aweful lot, so I guess that would be the cause of it. If I put some kind of sound deadener in the back of the box and stuff, would it be ok even if that one part of the magnet is touching it?

Thanks a bunch for all the replies guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: ..

Originally posted by junocdx
    No, the port whole isn't covered. It's just one little part of the magnet that is touching. I really CAN'T give it any extra room. My box is about as big as it can be right now. When I get my 10s, I'll work on making more room in the box. The box does vibrate an aweful lot, so I guess that would be the cause of it. If I put some kind of sound deadener in the back of the box and stuff, would it be ok even if that one part of the magnet is touching it?

Thanks a bunch for all the replies guys
    I just don't think the magnet touching the box is good.. that means it's so shallow, the sub itself might not be securely fastened tight on the box. SUre, the bolts might go in, but then, you would've probably bent the frame. I guess to reduce the vibrations, you might want to put the damper on the point where the magnet comes into contact with the box.

If the box is long, then maybe you can put the sub on the SIDE of the box... or cut away a bit of the wood so that the sub has clearance. (nota good idea, you will be weakening the box by doing so)

Team Caraudio

Sony C90, 210 EQ
    RF 60.2 amp
    eD A15.22

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast