New box and custom wire terminals.
Sparknotes: New twist on the bolt and ring terminal wire connection method. Look at pics to see
Well, just made a box for the hell of it. No use for it right now, but what the hell. Wood was free, and it was during school, so why not. I used the plans for 1.25@36hz I believe, from the sticky.
Used 3/4'' Birch ply, which turned out to be a little less than 3/4", with Titebond 1 (I know, not 2, but it's what I had). Clamp, then countersink and predrill, then screw method. Had to cut all the pieces on the panel saw, the table saw motor died. Never remembered to bring the camera to get pics of the stack, or assembly.
Anyway, made myself a circle jig, and i'll never cut a circle with a jig saw again VERY easy to make cutouts now. Gave the box 2 coats of clear, then ran out. The spots you see that don't look ''right'' are where the wood slightly warped, somehow, and I had to sand it perfect. Rounded off all edges with the router.
On to the shining beauty of the box, the wire terminals. Probably took as long to make these as it did to assemble the box First time, had to work out the kinks. Would take me about 15minutes now. Took about an hour.
I decided to use the bolt and ring terminal method, but didn't want the look of a bolt,nut combo on the outside of my box. Figured I could drill out something to screw on over the nut/bolt end to hide it. Look around the room, mini pool balls will work. Got a red (+) and black(-), even better! Steps, probably forgetting some things but you can figure them out. It's **** late
1.Figure out what size drill bits I need to use, clamp them in the vice, and drill them out. The first section should be wide enough to clear the nut and cover it, then the next small enough to thread onto the bolt tightly, but not too small that you can't get it to thread on. Drill bit sizer works wonders here
2. Mount bolt w/lock washer on inside of box, flat washer+nut on outside. Make liberally tight, then test fit pool balls again. Ball should cover all the nut, or most of it, and make it down to your flat washer.
3. Now, using a very small drill bit (I used 3/32"), drill a hole through the bolt directly above where the nut is. You need to make sure your nut is as tight as you're going to want it. Don't overtighten to squish the wood, but you want to hear a slight ''cracking'' to know it's tight.
4. Now, uninstall, and go outside and spray a coat paint of of red on one, and black on the other, so you can remember which is which when you take the balls off. Looks better than the gleaming silver as well. I used flat black, and a red primer I had left over from body work
5. Re-install, this time with your wires attached inside with the ring terminals. Make sure there's no paint insde the hole in the bolt. I used the drill bit to scratch it all out.
6. Insert the stripped and twisted wires into the holes in the bolt. Should strip about 3/4". Thread pool ball on, hold's the wires tight. I pulled with enough force that something like a thrown shoe would, didn't budge. The screws in the amp would let go first.
7. Post pics on CA.com, giving me props This could be done with MANY things, pool balls are just what I had sitting around.
BJ, feel free to steal my idea
Pics in next post. Don't want to lose all this typing for some reason like a electric surge or something.
PAST: 1976 International Scout. JVC head unit, pioneer 6x9's, Focal 5.25 comps, and a Kicker S12L7 in 3.25 cubes at 37hz: Crunch PZI 1500.1 amp at 1 ohm. 1/0 throughout.
Replaced the factory 8 track and single 4x7 speaker behind the dash
PRESENT: 95 325TI. JVC HU, 5.25" PG RSD, Sony Xplod 604EQX 4ch built in EQ, 10" MB Quart Discus in custom molded 'glass enclosure
Refs: JLJunkieMX107/ HawaiianBassHed/ bk12321/NightDrifter05/Annao2485/nitro_freak1/tapout/juan_caliente/fasfocus00/TheFiverMan/Louisiana_CRX