Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Is going ported worth it in a small enclosure?

StupidLoud727 is offline Audio Amateur

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Is going ported worth it in a small enclosure?

I have a setup I just installed with 2 alpine Type R DVC 4 ohm's running off a hifonics bx1000d at 1 ohm, and my bxi1606d will be arriving tomorrow to run 1600 watts at 1 ohm. Now I have them in a divided sealed box with about 1.1 ft^3 net for each sub, after divider and sub displacement. Now this box alone was a ***** to get in my trunk, and I'm still not getting the output I was looking for. Hopefully adding another 600 watts will give me a boost. But this leads me to my original question, what is the minimum net volume I would need per sub if I wanted to tune around 32 or 33hz ?(obviously a lot more than 1.1ft^3.) If you have ever seen the trunk of a 2000 mercury sable, you might have noticed the retards who designed it made sure it was nearly impossible to fit large objects into the ridiculously large trunk because of the ironically small opening. So what should I do? Add polyfil to the box I have now? Build two larger ported boxes and put them in seperately (this would be a *****)? Add a loading panel to the box I have now? Or try to design a very small ported box to house both subs?

I'd say the max dimensions of my trunk opening are 14.5" deep, 30" wide, and MAYBE 20" deep. But because of how you have to angle a box to get it in, it must be at least 2 or 3" under the depth or height. Any ideas?

bad @SS chevy is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Is going ported worth it in a small enclosure?

IMO keep it sealed. Or go with 1 ported... tuning around 35hz

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah well for now that's what i'll be doing, and hopefully the bxi will help with some extra power, and i guess ill add some polyfil since I built it a tad small for my subs. But it would be nice to get some extra output somehow.

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just use one ported in 2.25 cubes, ported to 33hz. It's beat to hell and back. You only gain 3dB by adding another sub (mainly due to destructive interference waves), and the extra sub can be for nothing if you can't put them in the proper enclosure.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What if i tried upfiring port back or port forward, something like this, which I found in rpfuror's profile:

I don't know if i could fit something that big or what the tuning of that box is, but if i designed something similar but smaller with tuning around 33hz, would it sound any good in a trunk car that isn't dynoed? I'd probably have to make it more like 13 in high...

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Son, it most likely won't work. Trust me, you will be better off with an ideal single than two choked subs.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well i put in my bxi1606d today and it gives a bit more output than the bx1000d but still not as much as i'd like...How is that possible with almost 800watts to each sub? Idk I think i'm going to throw in some polyfil and maybe even try a loading panel because at this point I am getting pissed. Thanks for the advice though chevy and PV, even if you crushed my dreams... lol jk

Maybe I'll try the loading panel even if it does sound like a retarded idea. Maybe I would be better off getting a nice 15" to run on the bxi. At this point i dont really know...

Closed Thread