Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Bandpass Boxes

btdickey99 is offline I Hate the Tarheels

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Bandpass Boxes

I was just wondering the advantages/ disadvantages of going with a 1st order bandpass, 2nd order, 3rd, 4th etc?

How would this be compared to a ported box?

This is assuming that both type boxes are built properly

Thanks

2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4

REFS: texasound82, duece212, flipside1212, l7runner, oxsign, tapout, Busabob, NightDrifter05, GOOSE, GohillaAudio, jmanpc, fwb_1234, Fusion_Freak, arkadiy, LoggedOut, Kmanian, KyleBechtold, Beerdrnkr, R/T Pimp, Louie68, dropped_tb, audiobaun, Psychodrama, JBLCAMRY, yunvme666, Buckyboy, CRXBMPN, bpres9991, Worlddre, KCha, operationcougar, Vitveet, and many more...

chillin is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Re: Bandpass Boxes

I believe a properley built bandpass will be louder but take up more space. But Ive been wrong before.

Immacomputer is offline Cloud disappear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Um... there is no such thing as a 1st order Bandpass or second or third. The order comes from the DE used -- it's not just a name.

Video 1
    I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
    Your sperm's in the gutter -- your love's in the sink.
    Video 2

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immacomputer View Post
    Um... there is no such thing as a 1st order Bandpass or second or third. The order comes from the DE used -- it's not just a name.
    shows how much I know.....

sorry guys

<-----Idiot

2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4

REFS: texasound82, duece212, flipside1212, l7runner, oxsign, tapout, Busabob, NightDrifter05, GOOSE, GohillaAudio, jmanpc, fwb_1234, Fusion_Freak, arkadiy, LoggedOut, Kmanian, KyleBechtold, Beerdrnkr, R/T Pimp, Louie68, dropped_tb, audiobaun, Psychodrama, JBLCAMRY, yunvme666, Buckyboy, CRXBMPN, bpres9991, Worlddre, KCha, operationcougar, Vitveet, and many more...

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I may be wrong in this assumption, but it makes sense to me. I believe the word bandpass is derived or is directly related to passband, which is an area of the audio spectrum. In a filter circuit, you have a low pass and a high pass circuit. For 3-way designs, you add a bandpass filter which comprises the middle of the spectrum. This is called the passband, or area between your upper and lower limiting frequencies. It looks roughly like a plateau which rolls off very quickly at either end i.e.

The red is your highpass rolloff, green is the lowpass rolloff, and the blue hump is the bandpass rolloff, or passband for this particular filter.

What a bandpass enclosure does is that it essentially chooses two frequencies to be tuned to (literally for a 6th order bandpass, but we'll keep it to 4th order), and the area, or passband, between those two frequencies is greatly enhanced or boosted, much like a ported enclosure. However, much UNLIKE a ported enclosure, the bandpass enclosure's frequency response is very narrow in comparison, which is why you generally only use the design on low frequency drivers where they only have a small bandwidth to cover. As such, they are very easy to design, but extremely difficult to design correctly. I know not of a single commercial bandpass box that is designed correctly, and they consequently get loud, but sound absolutely awful (akin to farting, as some put it). Hope that helped, but if not, just let me know or someone else correct me so you can get a better explanation.

-Dave

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PV Audio View Post
    I may be wrong in this assumption, but it makes sense to me. I believe the word bandpass is derived or is directly related to passband, which is an area of the audio spectrum. In a filter circuit, you have a low pass and a high pass circuit. For 3-way designs, you add a bandpass filter which comprises the middle of the spectrum. This is called the passband, or area between your upper and lower limiting frequencies. It looks roughly like a plateau which rolls off very quickly at either end i.e.

The red is your highpass rolloff, green is the lowpass rolloff, and the blue hump is the bandpass rolloff, or passband for this particular filter.

What a bandpass enclosure does is that it essentially chooses two frequencies to be tuned to (literally for a 6th order bandpass, but we'll keep it to 4th order), and the area, or passband, between those two frequencies is greatly enhanced or boosted, much like a ported enclosure. However, much UNLIKE a ported enclosure, the bandpass enclosure's frequency response is very narrow in comparison, which is why you generally only use the design on low frequency drivers where they only have a small bandwidth to cover. As such, they are very easy to design, but extremely difficult to design correctly. I know not of a single commercial bandpass box that is designed correctly, and they consequently get loud, but sound absolutely awful (akin to farting, as some put it). Hope that helped, but if not, just let me know or someone else correct me so you can get a better explanation.

-Dave
    That did help a lot and appreciate it....So to sum up things..... If designed correctly the bandpass box will be a better box for burping?

2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by btdickey99 View Post
    That did help a lot and appreciate it....So to sum up things..... If designed correctly the bandpass box will be a better box for burping?
    Maybe, I don't compete so I'm not sure. Ask someone like tommyk who actually does. I don't want to tell you yes since I don't know.

BrianChia is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know not of a single commercial bandpass box that is designed correctly
    BOSE

Blinkdogo2 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

bandpass is not better for burping, look at the world record holders they dont use bandpass, why would u want to turn an 18" sub into a couple 4" ports,, bandpass is to make ****** subs sound better

BrianChia is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blinkdogo2 View Post
    bandpass is not better for burping, look at the world record holders they dont use bandpass, why would u want to turn an 18" sub into a couple 4" ports,, bandpass is to make ****** subs sound better
    false

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Now I am confused and would like to have someone with a great deal of experience answer the question

2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

duece212 is offline Buddy Christ!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

didn't somebody win some driveby event at a record level with a bandpass enclosure in a van recently?

bdawson72 is offline Finally Has Bass Again

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post

149@32 hz(headrest)......Dammit i needs to be louder

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

^^^hes laughing at you

2000 Chevy Silverado 4x4

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast