Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

yes or no? THICK glass instead of plexi

well, i'm going to be making a small ported box to have sitting around when I need one (1.25 cubes). Only for a 3-400 watt 10'', so no need to be bigger.

Well, I have access to some sheets of 1/4(maybe even 3/8, it's **** thick) glass, about 10"x14". I'm thinking i'd like to use it instead of plexi on the top of the box. I would rout and recess the glass in, then make a top piece to screw it down and seal it airtight with some type of sealer, that wouldn't be a problem.

Any problems with doing this? I doubt there's any chance of it breaking from anything in my trunk. It's in the wood storage garage of my woodshop class, and it's survived however many years of kids probably hitting it with wood and rulers and stuff. I'm thinking it'd look good, and I have no fear of it being weak. It's stiffer than plexi, so I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I could probably take a couple pieces and keep it for future boxes, my teacher has no need for it. Might even be safety glass, never broke a piece and don't plan on it.

PAST: 1976 International Scout. JVC head unit, pioneer 6x9's, Focal 5.25 comps, and a Kicker S12L7 in 3.25 cubes at 37hz: Crunch PZI 1500.1 amp at 1 ohm. 1/0 throughout.
    Replaced the factory 8 track and single 4x7 speaker behind the dash

PRESENT: 95 325TI. JVC HU, 5.25" PG RSD, Sony Xplod 604EQX 4ch built in EQ, 10" MB Quart Discus in custom molded 'glass enclosure

Refs: JLJunkieMX107/ HawaiianBassHed/ bk12321/NightDrifter05/Annao2485/nitro_freak1/tapout/juan_caliente/fasfocus00/TheFiverMan/Louisiana_CRX

tapout is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: yes or no? THICK glass instead of plexi

I guess

Lakota is offline Doesn't Know $hit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hit it with a hammer. If it's fine then use it

Ben Hemp
    1992 GMC Sonoma Ext Cab NEW BUILD
    2008 MECA S1 KY State Champion, 151.0 dB
    2008 MECA S1 WorldChampion, 151.8 dB
    2010 MECA scores: 150.9 dB S2, 151.6 dB S3
    Refs: smd4life, Subst4nce, wccoug21, dacheatham, thegreatestpenn, jshak07

bikinpunk is offline G-g-g-g-g-unity!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Lakota View Post
    Hit it with a hammer. If it's fine then use it
    lmao.

that's a tough call. I would want to say no, but I have no proof that it would break.

Do you live near an engineering school? No joke, I'd track down a professor and ask them. Profs love stuff like this... even if you're not a student.

When I have electrical questions/ideas and I need help with them I head over to a couple EE teachers and ask them. They enjoy the "break" from the norm.

2006 Civic LX Sedan
    Pioneer P9. Audison BitOne. JL Audio HD. Scanspeak. Acoustic Elegance.

DIYma Refs:
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/itrader.php?u=1891

Caraudio.com refs:
    Groggy23, Radridd, bdubs767, 6spdcoupe, Cahm Rohn, Soydeedo, Lil_KB

E-bay Feedback: bikinpunk

kmanian is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    66 Post(s)

Is it tempered (hardened) glass, if it has a etched logo ar name in one corner it is (typically)
    Yes use it if it is tempered or if it is laminated, if it isn't I wouldn't not that the pressure is going to break it, but if for some reason it is weakend buy some outside force and the glass does break it can shatter and shards of glass could become small projectiles. You get the point. Tempered or laminated glass will not do that. They can break, the tempered is much harder to break and shatters into little cubes that a fairly harmless, and the laminated will hold together if it does break. It is a safty issue. As far as effecting the sound or output of the systed, yo will see not difference.

Mine is bigger than yours!

budget76 is offline fawkin' newb

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

hmm, thanks for the input guys. I guess i'll look around for a scratched up piece and see how it fares after a shot with a hammer. This stuff is THICK, and I would be careful to not throw a baseball bat on top of it, but **** does happen. Definately don't want it shattering and making shards everywhere.

Thanks guys. I'll post results. I've seen it sitting there for the last 3 years, and i've wanted to use it for something. This sounded like a cool idea. Again, i'll take a hammer to it and see how it fares/type of glass, or if it's etched in a corner. Never looked that close.

PAST: 1976 International Scout. JVC head unit, pioneer 6x9's, Focal 5.25 comps, and a Kicker S12L7 in 3.25 cubes at 37hz: Crunch PZI 1500.1 amp at 1 ohm. 1/0 throughout.
    Replaced the factory 8 track and single 4x7 speaker behind the dash

PRESENT: 95 325TI. JVC HU, 5.25" PG RSD, Sony Xplod 604EQX 4ch built in EQ, 10" MB Quart Discus in custom molded 'glass enclosure

Refs: JLJunkieMX107/ HawaiianBassHed/ bk12321/NightDrifter05/Annao2485/nitro_freak1/tapout/juan_caliente/fasfocus00/TheFiverMan/Louisiana_CRX

Closed Thread

User Tag List