Closed Thread

Reload Thread: box design

rain377 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

box design

Ok i dont want to mees this one up. just recently built a box for a 15" Fi BL. i completely forgot to take port area into calculation so it doesnt sound like it should. Now i'm getting another BL and am going to build another box. box will be 38" wide, 28" tall 25" deep. port will be coming out of front bottom 36.5" wide 4.5 tall and 43" long. Speakers facing up. I'd put up a pic but dont have one. My question is will port area be ok? and will cubes on the box be too much? With my calculations i'm looking at 164" port area and 9.1ft^3 after displacement. lemme know what you think.
    Last edited by rain377; 12-12-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: box design

If its not a good design could someone else send me one? I just want to get full potential out of these subs. They will be seeing about 1800wrms each in a grand cherokee.

dan5505 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

double check this cus im kinda new to this myself. I was told that for a single 15" the port area should be 50-60 square inches. So im assuming for two drivers it should be double that.

BuckyBoy is offline Box Designer/Builder

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dan5505 View Post
    double check this cus im kinda new to this myself. I was told that for a single 15" the port area should be 50-60 square inches. So im assuming for two drivers it should be double that.
    i thought port area is related to internal volume

www.smith-customs.com
    Find Smith Customs on Facebook!

References: Vexter 0944, Lingerfelt, riddla, Exploder 97, dillinja666, king ranch, chopsu3i, bonesninja, sxkicker89, djessenz, hl26, btdickey99, JLMaster, jbirrd15, bones22, belbo, 99grandprixGT, woody89, viebotls, garrettpf, SPL140.2, alex5857, Pickler, simpsonbuck, Rickikaye69, Bettr n' Revrse, swollen_cu

dan5505 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

like i said, i may be wrong. but this calculator doesnt take volume into consideration when calculating port area http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31
    i think the port volume and length is dependent on net volume.

JDBuilder is offline It's all in the box!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have built a few for the BL-15. Now this is based on .5^3ft for sub and bracing and 3/4" product. Try this. 26"H x 38.5"W x 25"D, 12.331^3ft gross vol. Slot port, (down one side), 24.5" x 5" x 26.7"@32Hz. After all displacement, 9.924^3ft net vol. Unless you plan on just SLP comps, this enclosure design will hammer!!

Thanks,JD
    www.eccenclosures.com

Authorized Dealer of; DC Sound Lab & Cadence Audio!
    References & Clients; Mike11202, ntense702. Cink. dbman150. jameseypoo. Bullseye50k. Hollywood Rob. rc10mike.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JDBuilder View Post
    I have built a few for the BL-15. Now this is based on .5^3ft for sub and bracing and 3/4" product. Try this. 26"H x 38.5"W x 25"D, 12.331^3ft gross vol. Slot port, (down one side), 24.5" x 5" x 26.7"@32Hz. After all displacement, 9.924^3ft net vol. Unless you plan on just SLP comps, this enclosure design will hammer!!
    Thank you that was exactly what i was looking for. on this design i want to go port back. should i fire subs up or back?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

also i'm gettingport area at 127sq inches. is that enough?

JDBuilder is offline It's all in the box!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are welcome. I myself like to fire the subs and port in the same direction when at all possible, but you could do subs up port back, it will do fine. As far as the port area, it is plenty for a loud daily driver system. I try to get no less than 45sq inch of port area per 15" sub when I build. Now, if you were to want to do a bunch of comps, then I would say run the tuning up and get more port area, but if you want this loud, but want it to sound good too, this design will do the job for you, and do it very well.
    Have Fun & Enjoy,

Thanks,JD
    www.eccenclosures.com

Authorized Dealer of; DC Sound Lab & Cadence Audio!
    References & Clients; Mike11202, ntense702. Cink. dbman150. jameseypoo. Bullseye50k. Hollywood Rob. rc10mike.

Closed Thread