Closed Thread

Reload Thread: should i try my sub sealed?

tcguy85 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

should i try my sub sealed?

i have a treo ssi i have in a 1.75 cubic foot net enclosure tuned to about 35hz with 22 inches of port area. i'm just not happy with the SQ of it. should i try sealed? should i try to tune lower? i just don't like how the bass hits. it just sounds boomy and not very tight. i listen to metal with fast double bass and stuff like that and it just doesn't react how i want. any suggestions?

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

UCF52 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: should i try my sub sealed?

Well, at least it's not expensive to build/buy a sealed box; I say go for it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by UCF52 View Post
    Well, at least it's not expensive to build/buy a sealed box; I say go for it.
    my idea was to buy a decent prefab off ebay. since i figured sealed is sealed as long as it's the size i need and it's 3/4 mdf. and if i like it i will build a custom fiberglass box in my fenderwell come springtime. if i don't like how it sounds then i have an extra box that i only spent $25 on layin around. no biggie.

i was just looking for opinions on how sealed might sound compared to what i have right now.

07 Scion tC: 880PRS, ID OEM 6.5" mids, Seas neo alum tweets, DD S4 and DD C2a amps, Dayton Ref H.O. 10(.7net, tuned to 30hz)

HT: Samsung PN58B560 - 80gig PS3 - Yamaha RX-V2500 - Infinity Alpha 50 mains - Alpha center - Harmon Kardon HKB6 rears, Epik Sentinel & ED eQ.2.

JimJ is offline Tangled Up in Blue

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Treo's aren't usually sealed enclosure subs, but it's worth a try anyway.

Where is your crossover set? If it's set too high, that could be a problem...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JimJ View Post
    Treo's aren't usually sealed enclosure subs, but it's worth a try anyway.

Where is your crossover set? If it's set too high, that could be a problem...
    it's set at 50hz/12db slope. i don't think it's my crossovers fault. i heard a guy say he had the same sub i have in a .85 cubic foot box and he said the SQ was excellent. with this subs high Xmax i could see it sounding good. and treo claims an F3 of 35hz in that size box, which doesn't seem to shabby.

Immacomputer is offline Cloud disappear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Block the port off with some towels or wood if you don't mind screwing into your enclosure. Having the sub in 1.75 cubes instead of something smaller like .85 cubes will really just increase low end and smooth out the sub instead of being as punchy as it would be in the .85 cubes. If you don't like it in 1.75 sealed, you probably won't be too thrilled about it in .85 cubes sealed.

Video 1
    I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
    Your sperm's in the gutter -- your love's in the sink.
    Video 2

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok i tried exactly that last night and was not happy with the loss in output. i got it to sound much better today though, by playing with the EQ and the overall volume on the sub.

UCF52 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tcguy85 View Post
    ok i tried exactly that last night and was not happy with the loss in output. i got it to sound much better today though, by playing with the EQ and the overall volume on the sub.
    So, are you keeping the sub (and same box)?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i think so, i can't buy another sub right now anyway.

Closed Thread