Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

enclosure questions for single 12" Kicker L5

ok, i'm a n00b, it's obvious since this is my first post.
    but, none the less, i have a question i'm looking for some help on.

i have a single kicker L5, 12" dual 4. It'll be run (for now) off of an MTX 801D. (might get a kicker 550.3 for simplicity and space concerns). I need to build/buy an enclosure...but my problem is space. It's going in a Honda Fit.

I've looked at the box plans that were supplied in the stickies, and might just use one of them. but, how much volume do i need to look for? as much as possible? or is there a magic number that's been found for the sub? I listen to hardcore, rap, country, bluegrass, rock, emo, and spoken word channels...basically, EVERYTHING. I want the sub to work good with all types of music...obvious some will have the bass turned down for them...but, just a good, general design.

should I go ported or sealed?
    what type or frequency should the port/box be tuned for it i go ported?

this will also be off the stock head unit, for now...until i can figure out what route i want to go on that... i have a line level converter, one of the "tuneable" ones...and yeah, ti *****, but the cars like 3 weeks old...so i don't want to jerk EVERYHITNG out of it right away...just the sub setup, amp, and prob some componenets for the front doors and unplug the rear fill form the rear doors.

ok, i'm rambling, but yeha...just looking for some advice

Stem is offline n00b Poster

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: enclosure questions for single 12" Kicker L5

id say go ported, maybe like 2cu feet. i think around 35hz would sound nice for the port. this is just my 2 cents. i have a honda too and i have no problem with space. for 1 12" you wont have any problems with space.

GSRswapandslow is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

so 2ft^3 is adequate?

budget76 is offline fawkin' newb

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

go to the kicker website and download the tech manual for your sub. It contains reccomended box plans for both sealed and ported. I used their plans for my box, and it turned out better than I expected, esp for a first box build

PAST: 1976 International Scout. JVC head unit, pioneer 6x9's, Focal 5.25 comps, and a Kicker S12L7 in 3.25 cubes at 37hz: Crunch PZI 1500.1 amp at 1 ohm. 1/0 throughout.
    Replaced the factory 8 track and single 4x7 speaker behind the dash

PRESENT: 95 325TI. JVC HU, 5.25" PG RSD, Sony Xplod 604EQX 4ch built in EQ, 10" MB Quart Discus in custom molded 'glass enclosure

Refs: JLJunkieMX107/ HawaiianBassHed/ bk12321/NightDrifter05/Annao2485/nitro_freak1/tapout/juan_caliente/fasfocus00/TheFiverMan/Louisiana_CRX

GSRswapandslow is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

that comes with the sub...and it says 1.75ft^3 for compact....and 3.25ft^3 for "spl"

so, say i do go with 3.25 or a little less...what type of port tuning should i look for?

btw..most likely, i will go by one of hte prefab plans in the FAQ area...for simplicities sake. i've built a lot of sealed boxes, but never really "designed" one...and have always just kinda dicked around at making them... i'd love to go custom, but i just don't have the know how.

Closed Thread

User Tag List