Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: 45's in the corners, how many?

Gunlex is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

45's in the corners, how many?

my design is like this

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...9/upload-1.jpg

I'm going to put a 45 in the port corner, but should i put them in the other corners too? Does this help anything?

Twistid is offline 150.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 45's in the corners, how many?

your mom

"A modest little person, with much to be modest about."
    Winston Churchill

REFS: Spicmonster(buyer), playa1(buyer), splthunder(buyer), 949runner (seller), dbman150 (trade), pbulous (trade), bumpin97jeep(trade) , spudracer326 (seller) , 99stanggt (seller) , xplicitACTS (trade) ... and forgetting a few others
    BHCSAOWKF

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yes it helps make the box more ridged and stronger... if ur short on space then u dont need it but it never hurts.

2x SAZ-1500 for SALE 310+ship ea
    RE MT 18" w/ juggaurnaut recone For Sale 320+ shipping

Dakota Work Log

References
    Bought From: IonSQL, PhatTonyDeMarco, nikosbuddy, spudracer326, RoLLaxPhile, hessdawg, JonMR2turbo, GohillaAudio, BushJ311
    Sold To: saturnspl1991, gbz007, SVT RELAMPAGO(3x Box Build),alex5897, David187, bland

InhumanAcura is offline 1/3ofTEAM PwNAGE..*****es

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twisztdauthorit View Post
    yes it helps make the box more ridged and stronger... if ur short on space then u dont need it but it never hurts.
    i guess it might add some rigidity..i always put them in to avoid dead spots that the 90 degree angle creates..think about it, do you think air will flow better with a bunch of sharp corners or with some nicely somewhat rounded edges..it just promotes better air-flow..

iamamp3pimp is offline Bass Heads Entertainment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

you wont notice a difference unless you are metering, and even then, it might hurt you.

www.BassHeadsENT.net for all your custom enclosure needs
    Offering build service and expertise in the Tampa area as well as enclosures shipped nationwide!
    Robin@BassHeadsENT.net

Check this thread for all the build logs being posted.
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/suppo...ks-thread.html

Gunlex is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well, just 1 in the port corner it is then =D

Lakota is offline Doesn't Know $hit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iamamp3pimp View Post
    you wont notice a difference unless you are metering, and even then, it might hurt you.
    x2

Ben Hemp
    1992 GMC Sonoma Ext Cab NEW BUILD
    2008 MECA S1 KY State Champion, 151.0 dB
    2008 MECA S1 WorldChampion, 151.8 dB
    2010 MECA scores: 150.9 dB S2, 151.6 dB S3
    Refs: smd4life, Subst4nce, wccoug21, dacheatham, thegreatestpenn, jshak07

iagrdshaka is offline Down with jimmy hats

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pour resin in the corners

REFS: Vincent9515, snoopdan, delvryboy, pyro719, teamsubgopoof, coolahan, Toxic Tuan

dleccord is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

form tubes are better.

REFS
    blackgeltabs, theCybe(2x), xplcitcustmz, mabel4life, bumpn_gt , PENER, BLD 25, j3bus2k3(3x) , PRIVATEpastry, guy022077(3x), alpine3612, 03tibgt, rocky 59, mattmcss, yotabeater,pepsican, iceteebone(2x), sfsloop @ mac. com, vincemarq, maldecido33, dalucifer, BassAddictJ, thakidgame, Scoobydoo, marcusb419er, nVRuckus, frkkevin, killahbean, CBFryman2, Zeuslicious(2x), bizzy07, expo5.0, dragonrage, 1loudsuv, nismos14, James Bang, mtlhead, Rsx_03, thaster, teamsubgopoof, CRAZYCORNUTS18, ggk, Colt9699(2x), thangalang, BloodStalker999, dwaynem, chaunb3400, volstitan908, blackbonnie, Fast1one, nineball, rbiele126, JayRich, Al_Capowned, runwitbass

yama168 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iamamp3pimp View Post
    Just curious how would it hurt the metering?. Ive always heard that the 45's help.

Aloha

My Blood Hawaiian
    My Life Hawaiian
    Was Born Hawaiian
    Will Die Hawaiian

Refs.- DeuceLee, Tapout, IonSQL, SoundSplinter, Tacosys, DD_Dave, zins184, mazzasec, hotsizzle56, Sundown

dleccord is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you wont even know the difference. its mainly for looks. but meterings are a different story.

REFS
    blackgeltabs, theCybe(2x), xplcitcustmz, mabel4life, bumpn_gt , PENER, BLD 25, j3bus2k3(3x) , PRIVATEpastry, guy022077(3x), alpine3612, 03tibgt, rocky 59, mattmcss, yotabeater,pepsican, iceteebone(2x), sfsloop @ mac. com, vincemarq, maldecido33, dalucifer, BassAddictJ, thakidgame, Scoobydoo, marcusb419er, nVRuckus, frkkevin, killahbean, CBFryman2, Zeuslicious(2x), bizzy07, expo5.0, dragonrage, 1loudsuv, nismos14, James Bang, mtlhead, Rsx_03, thaster, teamsubgopoof, CRAZYCORNUTS18, ggk, Colt9699(2x), thangalang, BloodStalker999, dwaynem, chaunb3400, volstitan908, blackbonnie, Fast1one, nineball, rbiele126, JayRich, Al_Capowned, runwitbass

mlstrass is online now Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Until someone builds identical boxes tested under identical conditions: one with no 45's, one with MDF 45's, one with resin, etc... then it's all speculation as to how it would meter. I've never read any test results like that. If anyone has them please post up for all to learn.

Until I read othewise I'll continue to use them as knowing how air normally flows a 45 will keep up the air speed/not restrict flow better than a 90.

I've ported/flow benched plenty of cylinder heads in my time and it's the same principle...

Lakota is offline Doesn't Know $hit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yama168 View Post
    Just curious how would it hurt the metering?. Ive always heard that the 45's help.

Aloha
    One reason is because of the change of volume.

Ben Hemp
    1992 GMC Sonoma Ext Cab NEW BUILD
    2008 MECA S1 KY State Champion, 151.0 dB
    2008 MECA S1 WorldChampion, 151.8 dB
    2010 MECA scores: 150.9 dB S2, 151.6 dB S3
    Refs: smd4life, Subst4nce, wccoug21, dacheatham, thegreatestpenn, jshak07

Mr Cabinetry is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    Until someone builds identical boxes tested under identical conditions: one with no 45's, one with MDF 45's, one with resin, etc... then it's all speculation as to how it would meter. I've never read any test results like that. If anyone has them please post up for all to learn.

Until I read othewise I'll continue to use them as knowing how air normally flows a 45 will keep up the air speed/not restrict flow better than a 90.

I've ported/flow benched plenty of cylinder heads in my time and it's the same principle...
    Well, there is plenty of theory and speculation that has been circulated as to ports with 90 degree corners create more turbulence, thereby reducing airflow.

This myth has been around so long that no one has had the stones to step up and say otherwise and with the science to back it.

If anyone on here watches " myth busters " they did a show to prove or disprove the "myth" that a open bed pickup gets better gas mileage with the tailgate down than with the tailgate up.

Anyways, in the course of exercise was discovered that a pickup gets better gas mileage due to what is called a " Trapped Vortex " where by air flow becomes trapped in the closed bed of the truck and in effect this creates a " bubble " to which the air now flows over this " Trapped Vortex or Air Bubble " thus eliminates the air drag.

The same applied air flow dynamics occur in 90 degree corners of a slot port and there's more than enough proof on the internet to confirm this fact.

Also, here's another tidbit to munch on, the dynamic air flow principals are not the same for a ported sub box as those of say HVAC system because in a sub box air in not circulated in the same manner in a closed loop system, because a subwoofer only pushing/pulling air static air by the amount of the subwoofers xmax.

It only feels like the air blowing but in fact the air is only moving are such a high accelerated rate given at which the frequency the subwoofer moves.

W8 a minute is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you, Mr Cabinetry.

I've been watching these box building threads and trying to figure out why everyone is treating a ported box like an F1 cylinder head. There is no "flow" or constant rush of air in one direction. The air inside the port resonates back and forth. In fact, if you fill a port with smoke 98% of the smoke will stay in the port until it dissipates.

Refs: Kmanian, Mj-TC, mennitti, iceteebone

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast