Closed Thread

Reload Thread: First box build.. EVER lmk what you think

shynegrynd07 is offline Eyedea and Ability

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First box build.. EVER lmk what you think

...that's bout it. took my dad and i about half an our.. 15 minutes to get the wood cut at HD and another 15 to put it together

"I mainly want to make stuff up, so I'm really not that good to have around children, or other people who aren't too sure about what's what yet." -Brian Andreas

i holla at shawtys wit fat asses.. like the one in my av

ref's: Expo5.0, spennin_gs..and more, just don't have them on here.. idk why.. im lazy

jmanpc is offline CA.com Nostalgist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: First box build.. EVER lmk what you think

particle board ftl. other than that, looks good.

2007 Red Ford Focus ZX4 SE
    - Clarion DXZ955MC -
    - MB Quart RSD216 - 2 MB Quart RWE-354 in 4 cubic feet sealed -
    - MB Quart DSC4125 - Audiopipe AP1500.1D - Optima Blue Top -

Team High Sexage

smd4life is offline NOTHING ABOUT MEADE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

better than my first......nice

Quote Originally Posted by thevic24 View Post
    And with this.....I will use this as an excuse to drink another beer....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    Ref's:memphissoul4u, scottiej(x3), bassaddictj, jeepinTN(x2), Blados,lincolnls(slc720052), ssbogger, stuckinok(x2), matrxx dude, BoostedPontiac, fintheman, dbornotdb, mr. tibbs, lakota, iceteebone, WantedIsHere(HypnoticCure), Cahm Rohn, Bring97, Brian Owens, snoopysnooper, sdsport92064, annarbor84, tv559, RetroAudioinc, FJF, 01 S 10, oddiofile, stupify

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah, the partical board was a bad idea..... but i didn't know i could use regular MDF when i went to buy it!

anyway, thanks for the compliments

"I mainly want to make stuff up, so I'm really not that good to have around children, or other people who aren't too sure about what's what yet." -Brian Andreas

ref's: Expo5.0, spennin_gs..and more, just don't have them on here.. idk why.. im lazy

Abel is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nothing wrong with partical board. Give it coat of fiber glass resin on the inside.

HU- Kenwood KDC-X790
    Sub Amp- 2-Kicker ZX2500.1
    Highs Amp- Kicker ZX350
    Subs- 2-18" RE MT's
    highs- Selenium ST350's & Mids.
    elec.- 5 Batteries, Big 3
    Car.- GMC Jimmy
    Epicenter!!!!!!!!!!
    Peak Tone- 27hz
    Team Kicker

JLJunkieMX107 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice for a first box man. One of the main reasons I don't use particle board is that it soaks up moisture like a mofo. Make sure to put some kind of water sealant on it.

Everything's better with a FREAK

dbhittin is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

and bracing or it will fall apart

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

bracing? hm.. we put inch and a quarter brads in the sides to hold the boards together while the liquid nails dries. we put about 4 in each line where the boards connect. when it dries we're going to drill holes for screws, put in some finishing trim screws, and i'll find something to water proof it with or w.e

is there anything that i can just spray it with out of like an airisol can or something instead of fiberglass resin?
    cus im not real sure what that even is..

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If it only took you 15 minutes to assemble, you're doing something wrong. Did you use woodglue and clamps?

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shynegrynd07 View Post
    bracing? hm.. we put inch and a quarter brads in the sides to hold the boards together while the liquid nails dries. we put about 4 in each line where the boards connect. when it dries we're going to drill holes for screws, put in some finishing trim screws, and i'll find something to water proof it with or w.e

is there anything that i can just spray it with out of like an airisol can or something instead of fiberglass resin?
    cus im not real sure what that even is..
    Bingo, found it. Get rid of the liquid nails immediately. Woodglue is the only thing you should be using for box construction. Anyone who tells you otherwise is an idiot. Polyurethane glues like gorrila blue do have their places, but the physical construction is NOT one of those places. Liquid nails works good for homemakers putting together picture frames, not on a speaker enclosures which are already weakened by cutting a massive hole in the middle of one of the panels.

Don't drill holes for screws, they are unnecessary. You use screws as you use the brad nails. Once the box is dry, they serve no purpose (assuming you used woodglue). Even in this case, there's no point to putting them in because if you're worried about the joint failing, some screws aren't going to do anything. Think about it like this. You need to glue some popsiclesticks together to make a log cabin. You use magic tape to hold it together while drying. Once it's dry, the tape is useless. You wouldn't add it at the end either because it no longer has a purpose.

What on earth are you taking your car through that you need to waterproof the box? You don't need to do that. What you should do is (as was said previously) coat the entire box with fiberglass resin, as particleboard is inherently weaker than MDF or plywood. It has small pockets of air between each of the particles, which are actually subjected to more pressure than what you feel in the cabin. The wood can literally explode (yes it can, I've seen it myself because I didn't believe it), although you shouldn't have to worry about that.

Here's your list for next time to help you get a bit better (even though it already looks fantastic):

1. 3/4" MDF
    2. Titebond or Elmer's WOODglue (if it doesn't say wood in the NAME, it isn't woodglue)
    3. 1.25" fasteners (you like nails, those are fine)
    4. 4-6 36" clamps (allows the woodglue to form a mechanical bond (helotaxi ) which is stronger than the wood you're actually gluing together)
    5. Patience! You need to spend time on your first few to really get to know how things should go together. Make sure your port is completely square. Check and recheck that your panels are the same sizes. Make sure your design is completely accurate.

Beyond that, just have fun.

-Dave

Lakota is offline Doesn't Know $hit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You are defiantly on the right track, just follow lemans (PV Audios) advice

Ben Hemp
    1992 GMC Sonoma Ext Cab NEW BUILD
    2008 MECA S1 KY State Champion, 151.0 dB
    2008 MECA S1 WorldChampion, 151.8 dB