Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Icon31 Need Help with custom box for trunk

I have a 1989 toyota celica gt convertible.I am new at the whole stereo world and have installed my whole system up till now. I currently have to 10" subs in a sealed box in my trunk but its taking up too much room. I want to expand my knowledge and build a custom box for my trunk but dont know where to start much less is it has to be closed or not and how much volume or space i need to have if it is closed. I anybody can help guid me to where to go or where to start that would be great.
    -Jon-

ricerdude is offline TEAM THRESHOLD

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if you want a professional, expensive box that will use the least room do fiberglass...it looks the best but you will have to pay for it...the place around here that does it is way expensive...but i guess it matters..

D

nswartley is offline Down and out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what kind of subs? amp? how much do you want to spend.

by the way, im south of you near san jose, in los gatos

Celicasav is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have 2 legacy 1000w amps and two sony explod 10 inch pentagon subs Im looking to actually try and do it myself as much as possible. I'm trying t learn as much as I can and the best way to do that for me is do it myself. However I cant find any straightforward direction as to how to design or build custom boxes. Cost is an issue I'm dont know how much anything or materials cost so I cant think up a ballpark figure. Any suggestions?

Radar is offline Old balls

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The first thing i would say is get rid of the legacy amps, they might say 1000w max a piece, but max doesnt mean crap, look at the RMS power. And i bet that amp isnt even 2 ohm stable... After that first pick out your basic design, and try to figure out the inside volume, that will match the subs. Break up the inside design into squares and triangles, then do some geometry to figure out the volume. how exotic are you looking to go? is it going to be a basic shape, or a complete futuristic looking design? Cost shouldnt be too much 3/4 MDF is pretty cheap for a sheet, sealent is cheap, as long as you have the time, it shouldnt cost a whole lot of $$.

ridered36 is offline Dont bufu rabid squirrels

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    He didnt ask your opionion of what u thought of his amps, so dont give it. If he likes them then thats good for him.

'84 Chevy K5 Creative Conversions Blazer (super rare!), restored, new paint, new 355, dual exhaust, interior in progress

HU-Pioneer 6400

Front Stage:
    4-Boston RX7 5.25's
    2-Boston RX7 6.5's

Rear fill:
    2-Audiobahn 6.5'

Subs:
    2-Shocker Super Extreme 12's in 11 ft^2 @ 32hz

Soon to come:
    RE 8's
    US 2000X or Tsunami 1800
    1-4 channel
    1-5 channel
    Yellow top
    7 inch screen
    PS2, DVD player, VHS player
    Line driver

Hope to be done around the 1st of the year!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm just letting him know before he makes another mistake (IMO), like buying pyramid subs. If he likes em, good for him. I'm just trying to help him out.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I feel you on the amps however I'm not sure what 2 ohm stable is. I would like to build a box to wrap around the back of my trunk so I will be able to use some of the trunk. What kind of amps would you suggest if I were to get new ones I have someone who will by my old 10" and the amps for 300$ so with that money what would you suggest? What is MDF or sealent. Like I said I'm really new to this so any info helps. I plan on having a more futuristic design but I'm not sure if I need bandpass ported or sealed. I have a celica convertible N-E suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    2 ohm stable is what the amp can supply power at certain resisance. 2ohms is less resistance than 4. (im not being too technical here) most amps are 2 ohm stable, which means they can deliver a stable source of power at lower resistance without having problems. I had a friend who had a legacy 1200W amp and he tried running a 2ohm load to it, and it went into protection every time.

If youre really tight for space and have a little $$ to blow go with the Elemental Designs K series. They are made for small sealed encloures. They only need about half a Cubic foot sealed, which isnt much.
    http://www.edesignaudio.com/

what brand are your 10" subs? I or somebody else here could tell ya if it is a good deal for the 2 subs and 2 amps for 300$.

How much RMS, (the consistant power, not max power) power can your subs handle, and are they single or dual voice coils? It should say on the bottom of your subs, towards the magnet.

MDF is Medium density Fiberboard. That is what, or what should be used to build boxes. It can be found at lowes or home depot. Sealent is, what i use, is silicone caulk. I personally use liquid nails, and screws to hold boxes together, and use silicone caulk to seal it.

I'm guessing that sence you want to save some space in your trunk, i would go with sealed, it offers the best SQ(sound quality) IMO, and is generally more forgiving if you make mistakes in construction. Also it is generally smaller than the other 2.

If you could put up a pic of your trunk, it would help.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Visonik 10's
    http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...0&I=028V102BP+

2-1000w Legacy amps
    http://www.cardiscountstereos.com/Ca...duct+%23=la770

I am more than willing to sell all of the tens and amps 300 sounded good but I dont really know what I'm talking about yet.

What kind of amps would you recommend if i do sell these? I was reading about mono amps and class d amps would you recommend these?

I currently have 2-sony 10's
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/carau....asp?sku=12952

I will post apicture as soon as possible of my trunk

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well ill be ****ed, it is 2 ohm stable....... but the site doesnt give RMS power, and thats probably for a reason. As for the amps and 10's going for 300, Id say go for it. the amps have a list price of 79.99 a piece, and the Visonik 10's have a list price of 57.99 each at thezeb.com so 160 for the amps + 114 for the subs is 274$ youre actually making money on this.

For the sony's you have 2, and each can handle upto 300 RMS. so i would try to run about 300 to each. Knowing the ohms(resistance) of the sub would help to find an amp. For starters, if you want a good cheap amp, i would go with the profile brand(the cl800, or ca800 models) will get you 300. This is assuming you wire the subs in parallel, and bridge the amps channels.
    You could go with a class D amp, but youre looking at a much higher price for the amp, and you can get the power you need from a class AB amp. IMO class D amps are used for the more power intensive setups. I'm by no means an expert like snova, but i know a few things.

80_Cutlass_mn is offline What needs to be here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well I for one know alot about wiring so i'm gonna give you some hints here. First of all tho it is hard for me to resist dissin your subs man, I hate sony x-plod except for some the h/u's but thats it. Also the Pentagon subs? that has to be a dam* joke. But sorry about that I had to get that off my chest, anyway. If you have 4 ohm SVC (Single Voice Coil) subs then I would say get a JBL 600.1 for those since they are 300 rms a peice. Wire the subs in parallel, this is + of one sub to + of the other sub and same for the - 's. Then this will give the JBL 600.1 a 2 ohm load which is about 750 rms but if you keep the gains turned down then you wont have to worry about that. Or if you want to go with a Profile amp then I suggest either a California CA1200 which is a two channel amp that puts out 300 rms per channel into 4ohms. Allthough this amp is a lil more expensive than the JBL 600.1 plus the JBL is a Class D and the Profile is a Class AB. The JBL wont put as much of a current draw on your electrical system as the Profile cuz it is more efficient. Both brands are very good amps also you might try US Acoustics, they have a 600 watt Class D mono amp as well. They are pretty much bulletproof as well and will last a lifetime if treated right. Either way all the amps I mentioned will give you depndable power.

Arctic White 1995 Camaro 3.4L

Hifonics BX2005D- 12" IA Death Penalty
    Premier prs-x220 - MB Quart DSD213 components
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP - Scosche 4 Ga. wiring kit

Aol Instant Messanger: CamaroMN1995

jbl_marshall21 is offline important person

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i suggest the cl800. cuz with 2 svc 4 ohm ur gonna get a 2 ohm load. at 2 ohms that amp puts out 300x2 so that would just perfect. i would suggest not giving those sonys more than 300 watts though.

Alpine CDA-9886
    RUX-C701
    PXA-H701
    JL xr-650csi
    JL vr-650cxi
    2 8" W7
    JL HD750/1
    JL HD600/4
    2007 Chevy Trailblazer

nswartley is offline Down and out...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Originally posted by jbl_marshall21
    i suggest the cl800. cuz with 2 svc 4 ohm ur gonna get a 2 ohm load. at 2 ohms that amp puts out 300x2 so that would just perfect. i would suggest not giving those sonys more than 300 watts though.
    but to get that 2 ohm load you are going to have to run the amp bridged......you cant run a two ohm load per channel.

80_Cutlass_mn is offline What needs to be here?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ya see what I was saying is that with his subs he needs either the CL1200 or the CA1200 cuz his subs are svc 4 ohm. In this case he runs each sub to its own channel at 4ohms and gets 300 watts of rms power. What I think you saying jbl_marshal is that he can run the amp at 2ohms and get 300rms per channel. But remember thats only with each channel getting a 2ohm load. The only wiring options he has is either 8ohms mono, 2ohms mono, or 4ohms stereo. So he needs something thats gonna put out 600rms at 2ohms mono which neither of the amps I mentioned above can do uless its the mono block 600watt amps like the one I have. Or something that will put out 300watts rms x2 channels at 4ohms and that would be either the CL1200 or the CA1200. See what im sayin.

Arctic White 1995 Camaro 3.4L

Hifonics BX2005D- 12" IA Death Penalty
    Premier prs-x220 - MB Quart DSD213 components
    Pioneer DEH-P7600MP - Scosche 4 Ga. wiring kit

Aol Instant Messanger: CamaroMN1995

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

User Tag List