Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Designing ported box for 12" Titanic

XanderMoser is offline Poor college student

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Designing ported box for 12" Titanic

I just got my Titanic, and I can't wait to get a box built for it. I want to go ported because I want to get as much out of it as I can. And I've got 500 watts all ready for it with a variable subsonic filter, so I'm all set. Now I just need a box.

So I was playing around in WinISD. To get a flat frequency response, the thing has to be tuned near 20 hz. That's super low for a car, I don't want to be too heavy on the low end. I know music rarely has material below 30 hz, and usually not below 40 ish.

If I tune higher I start getting a peak. If I tune to 25 hz, I get a peak of 1.5 db at 40 hz. If I tune to 28 hz, I get a peak of 2.5 db at 40 hz. If I tune to 32 hz I get a peak of 3.5 db at 40 hz. Obviously I can move this peak around by adjusting the volume of the box, but when I place the peak around 40-45 hz the peak is the smallest.

So basically what I want to know is where should I tune this thing. Two people have told me that they had there's at 32hz and 35 hz, with volumes of about 2.2-2.5 cubes. Tuning to 35 hz at that volume gives a 6db boost in the FR at 40 hz. That just doesn't sound like it would sound very good. Too boomy.

Here are the specs for the sub, can someone help me out?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pdf/295-404dumax.pdf

Basically what I want is for it to sound good and get low. I know it's possible with this sub. But I also want to make sure I don't reach peak excursion before I have to. I want to get as much out of this sub as possible. I haven't designed a box before, my dad usually does it and I just help him build them.

Alpine CDA-9833
    Running fully active with US Acoustics 4050 and 4060 Zed built amps
    ID OEM 6.5" mids and Seas 27TAFNC/G aluminum tweeters
    12" Dayton Titanic in 1.2 sealed powered by HS 2.125

Qbenjamin is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: Designing ported box for 12" Titanic

PM IonSQL

Sold to Ref's: IonSQL; envengineer; BAD_MAYHEM; oxsign; dvrmstrng; corto; wong05tsx; mrdurden; dirtyg; Cheesemind; gladiator_jai; bumpincrv; nycking23; slikvik; Mr.Ronin_2U
    Traded with Ref's:: Spike_e; jnoel; Sundownz

Stock H/U; AudioControl Lc6i; Alpine PDX-V9; Focal Components & Coaxials; DD 2510; Ported Enclosure; Second Skin Damplifier Pro

What sounds good to you, may sound like crap to me...

Closed Thread