Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Sub Location and Shape Question

JeepSound is offline vtec-lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sub Location and Shape Question

I know very little about box building, but I'm about to attempt my first box pretty soon and have a little question.
    Does the location of the sub on the front of the box affect it's performance?

What I mean is, if I build a 24" wide box, and a mount a single 12" on the left hand side of it, will it sound any different compared to mounting it in the center?
    The reason I ask is because I wanted to mount the amp on the front of the box, beside the sub.

One more question...
    Will a rectangle box sound any different compared to a square box with the same cubic feet?
    Example...
    Will a box with the dimensions: 24(W)x14(H)x11(D) sound the same as a box with the dimensions: 15.5(W)x15.5(H)x15.5(D)
    They're both very close to 1.5 ft/3, but will they sound different?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but box building is one area that I know very little about.

Refs: psych0ticnemes1, zack39648
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigslistTard
    THEY ARE DUAL VOICE COIL SO THEY ARE BRIDGEABLE FOR THAT EXTRA SOCK IN YOUR TRUNK THAT MAKES EVERYONE THINK YOU HAVE 15'S

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sub Location and Shape Question

well, im going to assume your going sealed ? and in that case i dont think your going to find any diff at all in sub placment or shape of your box since those are rather standard shapes and well i would consider where the sub is and try to center it to the vehicle.... so how do your 33's like the 4" lift? i have 4" on my ZJ and my 32's rub like hell and thats after lots of trimming and removing the lower side pannels....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

if its going in your jeep, face the sub toward the back and strongly consider building something ported

JeepSound is offline vtec-lol

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the reply!
    Yes it's going in the Jeep, and I'm going sealed. I do plan on going ported sometime in the future, but as for right now, sealed will have to do.

The 33's fit OK in there, but rub in the rear. The lift is actually a little less than 4"s also, probably about 3.75".
    I've got about 6.5-7"s of uptravel all the way around. The fenders are trimmed quite a bit though. Heres a pic that shows the trim.

Refs: psych0ticnemes1, zack39648
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigslistTard
    THEY ARE DUAL VOICE COIL SO THEY ARE BRIDGEABLE FOR THAT EXTRA SOCK IN YOUR TRUNK THAT MAKES EVERYONE THINK YOU HAVE 15'S

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sweet. Here is whats in my trunk haha.... not much room for gear when i go hunting, fishing or trail riding...

Closed Thread