Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Interesting idea, im sure its been proposed....

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interesting idea, im sure its been proposed....

So, we all know that sub stages are comprised of a series of compromises. To get a good amount of output and sound quality,you need a lot of space, a lot of power, a high quality woofer, or any combination of the above.

Focusing specifically on the space/weight issue I have come up with a brilliant(or retarded) solution that im sure many have considered. Obviously when going IB one uses the entire trunk as the apparent enclosure, so why not use this same concept for a ported enclosure? If one goes through extensive work in sealing and reinforcing the trunk (using fiberglass, deadening, thicker trunk seals or what have be) can one theoretically separate the cabin from the trunk and simply add a port of the appropriate size fired into the cabin? Has anyone tried this?

The work involved may seem immense, but the benefits may be worth it for some us...I have searched with no avail...

P.S. In my case, this would be done with either three/four IDQ 12s or two IDQ 15s tuned VERY low

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)

Re: Interesting idea, im sure its been proposed....

you gotta put a colon, not semi colon in order for your smiley to work

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dvrmstrng View Post
    you gotta put a colon, not semi colon in order for your smiley to work
    x2...noob

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I know sillies, typos sheeshhh, I literally changed it a few seconds later, ****in post *****s

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    52 Post(s)

where would you mount these two 15"s....the rear deck?

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Interesting idea yes, but not smart. The problem with your idea is that you will have a MONSTROUS enclosure for the speaker that cannot damp the cone movement. Also, your tuning would be astronomically low unless you used a huge port, in which case, it really isn't practical because it would be too large. So essentially, you would end up with an IB setup that has a hole in it.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PV Audio View Post
    Interesting idea yes, but not smart. The problem with your idea is that you will have a MONSTROUS enclosure for the speaker that cannot damp the cone movement. Also, your tuning would be astronomically low unless you used a huge port, in which case, it really isn't practical because it would be too large. So essentially, you would end up with an IB setup that has a hole in it.
    Yup i am aware that is is a huge enclosure, and i would find ways to compensate, Dont worry about the enclosure size for now, but the idea itself of reinforcing the trunk to use it as an enclosure. I can find ways to compensate for the huge enclosure...

My trunk is 14 cubes, so two 18s may work pretty well...

BTW they would be mounted behind the rear seat...

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Still, I wouldn't. There isn't a surface braced well enough to hold two 18s an yway

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PV Audio View Post
    Still, I wouldn't. There isn't a surface braced well enough to hold two 18s an yway
    Or so you think Lol, the subs would only be mj 18s, so they aren't that heavy at all...If it fails, i could just build a new baffle and go IB

azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

SQ guys do stuff like this all the time....

azimuth is offline funded*by*soros

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

i'm with ya. why do it if you aren't going to do it all the way? you could just cut holes in the roof and use the vehicle itself as the box. maybe 5 18's directly in the roof. i've always thought of using one of those old refrigerators that kids have been known to suffocate in, and just pull the box on a trailer behind my truck.

2003 chevy s-10 ext. cab
    hu: jvc kd-avx1
    precision power 356cs components
    front amp: infinity 475a
    sub: diamond audio d6 10d4
    enclosure: 1.1 cubes ported tuned @ 31hz
    sub amp: JL G1700

Supergumby5000 is offline Project: F350 begins...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)

why not just give it a try and let us know hehe? seems like your goin IB if it goes wrong anyways if i am not mistaken? would be an interesting build log

Project: Avalanche V1... http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345189
    Project: Avalanche V2... http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432321
    Project: F350... Coming Soon!
    Need a box or box design? -EMAIL- me for info/quotes, do NOT send a PM
    my username @ hotmail.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kcdc30 View Post
    i'm with ya. why do it if you aren't going to do it all the way? you could just cut holes in the roof and use the vehicle itself as the box. maybe 5 18's directly in the roof. i've always thought of using one of those old refrigerators that kids have been known to suffocate in, and just pull the box on a trailer behind my truck.
    Now your just being silly

Supergumby5000 Exactly my point, im going to seal off the trunk anyway, might as well experiment. The trunk itself is very solid and has never really flexed, even when I had my 15 off 1500 watts...

The only thing I would be worried about is the trunk lid itself, which is the only thing that flexed, and a good amount at that...Keep in mind my trunk isnt deadened or anything yet...

mokedaddy is offline professional idiot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have seen something similar but it was in a camaro. The subs were in the tubs and there was an ap membrane in the bottom of the box and when you flipped a switch the panel rotated and became a port. It was very labor intensive but did sound excellent.

'a man without enemies, is a man without character'

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mokedaddy View Post
    I have seen something similar but it was in a camaro. The subs were in the tubs and there was an ap membrane in the bottom of the box and when you flipped a switch the panel rotated and became a port. It was very labor intensive but did sound excellent.
    Having a hard time visualizing that but thanks for your input

Closed Thread

User Tag List