Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Sealed enclosure for new sub

JeepCreepin96 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sealed enclosure for new sub

Hey. I made this thread in the subwoofer section without thinking about this section so my fault.Hopefully I can get some replies here. i recently purchased a 15" Type R and am thinking about doing a sealed enclosure. I looked thruogh a ton of pages on the **Type R Thread** but didnt come across any specific info on this.

I plan on making the box myself but I have no experience and am looking for a little input form you guys. What size box should I make? I think the recomended size is around 1.5 cubic feet, would this be good or would 2 or so cubic feet be better? Also, ive heard a few people saying that putting some sound deadening on the inside of the box will make it sounds better? Ive come across it a few times but im not sure if its true at all.

Just another quick question, what would work best for holding box together? I see some boxers with a buunch of screws or nails in it, so would glue alone not be strong enough?

Any advice or input on my sealer type r enclosure would be great. Thanks

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Sealed enclosure for new sub

Any help appreciated..

Immacomputer is offline Cloud disappear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2-2.5 cubes would be pretty nice and should give you a smooth and deep response.

If you're looking for more punchy bass and not as much low end, 1.5 would work well for that.

As for building the enclosure, wood glue is what really holds everything together. The screws are used to hold the wood while the glue dries. If you have enough clamps and time, screws are useless. People who put like 4 billion screws in a single panel don't really understand that the screws are not really adding anything to the structural integrity of the enclosure.

If you need to use screws, I recommend only using a couple per panel and to pre-drill, countersink, and keep them about 4-5 inches away from the edge of the wood. This will help reduce splitting.

Video 1
    I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
    Your sperm's in the gutter -- your love's in the sink.
    Video 2

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you, that info helped a lot.

Closed Thread