Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: The future of my trunk....

Frankensuby is offline I'm in Ur F0rumZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon33 The future of my trunk....

This is the design concept I have for my trunk. I already have the box made and it had been installed in my trunk and working for roughly 6 months. I'm running a Xenon 10" dual 2 ohm into a 4 ohm load, running on a sealed volume of .65, and it seems to love it!

The top angled amp is a Phoenix Gold Xenon 200.4 (938 RMS Berthed) and is HUGE. 22 inches in length, and was really hard to even make fit beside the sub box. The amp weighs roughly 20 pounds. This will be running my current Type-R components in the front, and MMC525's in the rear. I'll be sending 100 RMS to the front, and 85 to the rear.

The amp on the bottom just will squeeze in underneath the top speaker amp. I have a Xenon 600.1 (821 RMS Berth and Bench) to push the subwoofer. My biggest fear is that my shelf for the top rack won't be strong enough and will break, falling down on the bottom amp.

The colors added to the picture represent what I'm aiming for when all is done. I'm painting everything with a dark gray that has a high contact of fine flake in it, then running some clearcoat onto it.

So, what do you guys think? Do you think the shelf might not be able to handle the weight under heavy bumploads? (I drive a Subaru, and we have fun backroads ) Overall thoughts?

I will provide more pics of the trunk later, but at the moment I am at work, and they have photobucket.com blocked.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

System Currently:Speaker Amp|Phoenix Gold Xenon 100.2 Sub Amp| Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 Deck| Pioneer DEH6800MP Frontstage| Alpine SPR-17LS "]Sub| Phoenix Gold Xenon 10"
    Refs from Buyers:
    Refs from sellers: Dre2390

azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: The future of my trunk....

um, uck

blackbonnie is offline The Revolution

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i like the design, i would go with 1 inch board for the 200.4, or just make another flat rack about 3 inches above the first amp (to give it room to disperse heat). but if you could get it sturdy enough to hold and not break wherever you go, i wouldnt hesitate on this design.

HU - Pioneer 800prs
    Mids - Peerless HDS nomex 6.5's
    Highs - Seas Prestige Alumi-domes
    Front Stage Amp - Sundown 100.4D
    Sub - SA-12
    Sub Amp - Saz-1000D
    Wire - Knukonceptz, Kicker Hyperflex

Blackbonnie References/Feedback

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azbass View Post
    um, uck
    Que?5

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

System Currently:Speaker Amp|Phoenix Gold Xenon 100.2 Sub Amp| Phoenix Gold Xenon 600.1 Deck| Pioneer DEH6800MP Frontstage| Alpine SPR-17LS "]Sub| Phoenix Gold Xenon 10"
    Refs from Buyers:

CRAZYCORNUTS18 is offline Registered User

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i dont like that big *** gap is it even needed?

CRAZYCORNUTS18 is offline Registered User

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

it cant got horizontl?

W8 a minute is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by azbass View Post
    um, uck

x2

Refs: Kmanian, Mj-TC, mennitti, iceteebone

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

When I get home at 9:45 I'll try to remember to throw you guys some of the pictures. The problem with room is that I'm trying to fit this inbetween my rear strut towers to keep some usable trunk space up. Basically, if this works (will know by the end of the night) I will have increased my multichannel amp power by near 400% without using an extra inch of floor space. (A6004T Audiobahn to X200.4)

I have a false floor being siliconed into the trunk underneath the amp and sub. I already worked it so that it sits level over the bumps on the floor of the trunk.

And , I'm probably working with clearances of .25-.75 inches on the amps...Real close. I'm worried I miscalculated my cuts.

I'll try to find some pics... Once again, any reasons for the negatives; as in why...looks..? I'm not going for glam, just nice functional, compact with decent air cooling. No crazy plexiglass panes and crazy lights.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

Refs from Buyers:

THUNDERBIRD is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its not a bad design, but i dont think the .25-.75 inch is enough clearance for all that. you could angle the sub amp too. what i would do because your worried about strength is fiberglass that top shelf ontop of 3/4" mdf 2-3 layers will give you the strength

94' thunderbird *parked*<
    4.6 V8 with a shift kit
    clarion dxz 645mp clarion sirius tuner
    ED 6000v.2- front jbl 5.25 comps- rear
    dynamated and edeaded trunk lid, rear deck, front doors
    Big 3 in green of course
    viper 791xv w/ battery backup
    3 jl 10w0
    2000 ford ranger supercab 3.0v6 4x4
    stock hu
    alpine mrp-m350
    2 9kv.3's
    clifford matrix rsx 50.5x
    spring time getting clarion MAX675VDII and front components possibly jbl's again

W8 a minute is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Frankensuby View Post
    . Once again, any reasons for the negatives; as in why...looks..?
    Yes, looks. I can understand not wanting to lose space but there has to be a better looking way to lay that out. It's not the lack of plexi or lights but the design doesn't "flow"

Honestly, it looks like you took a corner too fast and all the crap in your trunk ended up in one huge pile.
    Last edited by W8 a minute; 04-07-2007 at 06:10 PM. Reason: spelling

Refs: Kmanian, Mj-TC, mennitti, iceteebone

Prowler573 is offline R.I.P. Gossamer!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How about this ~

Instead of having the one amp flat and the second amp at that odd angle above it have both of them more or less standing vertically one in front of the other? Where one amp would basically be hidden from view due to the other amp standing in front of it.

It would be problematic to access any of the settings on whichever amp that is behind the other but assuming you know how to properly set it up you won't need to continually be able to get to it anyway.

Refs: [CA.com] [eBay.com]

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^^^ I was actually tinkering with that idea. I really wanted to make both amps on an angled shelf towards the rear, so that you could see both amps straight on. The multichannel is just to wide to fit in between the sub box and strut towers without a diagnol. But unfortunately, my room is VERY limited, and by that, I mean I'm working with .5 inches ~ just to fit the amps inbetween. I am using some stuff called 'Lexel' that is supposed to be excellent for high strength applications that need a small amount of flex. It's thick, so it's easy to apply.

As far as the looks, very understandable. I know that it looks akward, but unfortunately I have no extra room to even have them slant towards the rear. It is very tight situation I got myself into when I fiberglassed the enclosure to fit the left corner strut tower. I can make it work, it just won't be a showmans job. I can deal with that for having clean sound and room to throw my sports equipment in

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

Refs from Buyers:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, all did NOT go according to plan. The amp is too long to run the other one underneath and run the long one diagnol. I took pics to show you what type of spaces I'm working in.

I'm thinking of laying the Mono as shown there, but laying it so that it is at the same degree as the speaker amp above it. I'll also be adding an actual shelf for the X200.4, if I do this setup.

My only other option is to dedicate a corner for the amps.

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

Refs from Buyers:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok, new twist... are there any things I should worry about, if my amps are mounted as such....

One upside down, one right side up, mounted to 1/2" plywood shelf.... Anything that could go wrong?

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i

Refs from Buyers:

dyabolical is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks like you should be looking into a false floor or something of the kind.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast