Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

HD3 box build

Well this is my second attempt at a box build. kind of. the box for my W6 was only cut by me on a table saw then assembled by soneone else. so this is my first box build completly unattended and unsupervised. mommy and daddy even let me use all the power tools myself

So to say the least, if you think this *****, its probably because it does...

heres the senario. DJ hooked me up with some SICK box plans for a 15 HD3. i wanted to accomplish 2 things with this box (besides high numbers) something a little different then your normak square box and something besides carpet or glass. i have done glass before on another project and to me it dosnt pay off as much as the time i had to put into it. anywaise.

heres how i combated this. i wanted to do something besides an all square box. problem is i dont own a router so what to do? i just made the baffle a smaller so you had a nice lip on top and bottm. i experimented with doing color on the 2 sides of both libs then a second color on the rest of the box but i didnt like the outcome. so it went one solid color. my cousin pointed out the fact that the baffle just looks like i didnt know what i was doing. i see where he was comming from but from my standpoint i wanted something different, and even if it was that little lip its something. theres not much i can do without a router. i like how it turned out. so thats the story on that.

second, for the finish i decided on a tectured spray paint. i went with aged iron so its a speckled DARK grey. i put 2 cans of primer on her and what you see is after the 3rd can of paint. im off to menards to grab a bunch more cans. i didnt do much of the top because i had one hole i was waiting for wood puddy to dry in so thats why all the sides are darker and the top just has one light coat. when i get home im going to sand the one little spot on the top and throw some more coats on.

So what does everyone think? not bad IMO. this is to spects to a 16th of what DJ sent me so it should pound. more pics when its completly painted and vids when i get my 15 in from DJ.

I want to thank all the CAers helping me recently. i have learned a ton. And of coures a huge thanks to DJ for all his work.

BTW, in the upper right hand corner of the box where the driver is, it must be bad lighting because its smooth in real life. it looks all Fed up in the pic. ill get some better outside pics tomarrow in the sun (if it stops raining here).

DeuceLee is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: HD3 box build

i'm not too big of a fan of misaligned pieces of woods...

i like your circles, i'm gonna stop at that...

Refs - PESteele, xploit2, djdilliodon, RyanM923, yama168, Amalan, Corollacrazy42, zues, twistedfreak, ZeusMoose15, jesse59672, Mynameismcgyver

FS: (2) RSD 12's - $130 shipped: (1) TC9 10" - $110 shipped

mazdakid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    924 Post(s)

whats the board for inside your port?

traded-pickup1, power-fanatic07, fbi90909
    sold to-superspank, dumple, JoeRa22, sub-FATHER, TrlcKed_OuT, rosrock, dcole18, RaiN, BassAddictJ, tommyk90, MANTI5, Micah_Jones, mrflamboynt, g6ryder, rebelfromva, n8skow

mazdakid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    924 Post(s)

or is that the port? where does it come out of the box at?

traded-pickup1, power-fanatic07, fbi90909
    sold to-superspank, dumple, JoeRa22, sub-FATHER, TrlcKed_OuT, rosrock, dcole18, RaiN, BassAddictJ, tommyk90, MANTI5, Micah_Jones, mrflamboynt, g6ryder, rebelfromva, n8skow

jeremiah is offline edit me but not ****? ok?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

is that box 19"H? your trunk is 44"W/12"H/32"D right?

cha0 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceLee View Post
    i'm not too big of a fan of misaligned pieces of woods...

i like your circles, i'm gonna stop at that...
    i promise you nothing is misaligned. a square and table saw was used for all the pices. everything is perfectly square. so, yes, you better stop at that... seing as the only thing you like is the hole which was cut with a saber saw. so basicly thats the only thing that was done "wrong".

Quote Originally Posted by mazdakid View Post
    whats the board for inside your port?
    the port isnt the whole length of the back. it had to be done like that because of the trunk. theres a lip in the trunk. kind of hard to explaine.

Quote Originally Posted by jeremiah View Post
    is that box 19"H? your trunk is 44"W/12"H/32"D right?
    those are the dementions of the back of my trunk where the back stage comes down under the speakers. DJ made this box to sit in the front of the trunk where i had the room.

DeuceLee is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i guess i didn't say it correctly, i didn't mean misalign as in not straight, my bad...

i meant i didn't like the fact that the front panel didn't line up with the top and bottom pieces...thats just me tho...

yes, i thought it was a pretty weird lookin port as well...but i guess you gotta do what you gotta do to accomodate your car...

Refs - PESteele, xploit2, djdilliodon, RyanM923, yama168, Amalan, Corollacrazy42, zues, twistedfreak, ZeusMoose15, jesse59672, Mynameismcgyver

FS: (2) RSD 12's - $130 shipped: (1) TC9 10" - $110 shipped

mlstrass is offline Shaggy DOA

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1169 Post(s)

Paint is messed up and the camera flash brought it out. Need LIGHT when painting to see the imperfections. Nothing a little sanding won't fix...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceLee View Post
    i guess i didn't say it correctly, i didn't mean misalign as in not straight, my bad...

i meant i didn't like the fact that the front panel didn't line up with the top and bottom pieces...thats just me tho...

yes, i thought it was a pretty weird lookin port as well...but i guess you gotta do what you gotta do to accomodate your car...
    I hear ya brotha, i figured most people wouldnt like that lip. its the same thing on the bottom as well. as for the port, the bottom has to be cut. the piece that you see that obviously dosnt belong. i just wanted to run the one piece from the top of the box to the bottom to make sure the port was perfectly square. so now i have to go back and cut that bottom part. hard to explain but ill take another pic when its done.

Quote Originally Posted by mlstrass View Post
    Paint is messed up and the camera flash brought it out. Need LIGHT when painting to see the imperfections. Nothing a little sanding won't fix...
    now man, thats what i thought too. i took it out in natural sunlight and there is nothing there. maybe it was there. i put like 8 real light coats on. but even after i took the pic i looked close at the box and the weird blemish you saw in the pic was not there. or atleast not visible to me in sun light.

rlcowboy is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I can see it plain as day, that front piece does not go all the wat down flush with the bottom nor does it go flush with the top,lol. So is it square, maybe so but the wood is still mis alligned like the other guy pointed out. Now, u did the question "what do yall think" did'nt you? So I get so freakin mad when I see someone ask that then take it all personal when everyone does'nt just shower them with praises. You asked and he told you!! Even the best sander aint gonna fix that mess! And that fleck stone spray paint looks cheap as He##! I remember when it came out yrs ago & all the kids where spraying it on thier dash boards,lol. Anyway if u cant take the answer don't ask the question!!

03 EXPLORER SPORT
    HEAD UNIT..........ALPINE CDA-9855
    FRONT STAGE......JL XR570 Csi COMPONENTS
    REAR STAGE........JL XR570 Cxi COAXILS
    SUBWOOFERS......JL 12W6V2 X2
    4 CH. AMP...........JL 300/4
    SUB AMPS...........JL 500/1 x2
    ENCLOSURE..........2.5 SEALED
    BATTERY.............YELLOW TOP D34/78
    WIRE..................JL AUDIO & STINGER

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

lol, no man, i didnt get upset. its just not misaligned. its lined up perfect. i cut the top baffle an inch and a half to small so theres a lip. thats not misaligned. its aligned exactly how i wanted it.

its on the top and bottom. im sorry you cant grasp. that concept and i appreciate your input.

Edit. BTW, i do agree that this stone paint looks horrable. i have never seen it on anything as you stated everyone doing it. so all i knew was i wanted something besides carpet... ahh well, its going in the trunk anywaise.

Closed Thread

User Tag List