Closed Thread

Reload Thread: F150 custom build

LOYD is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

F150 custom build

New to the forums....Great site!

Been out of the car audio world for probably 10 years now, but I have the itch.

I have a 2000 F150 4x4 Ext cab.

I am going for the most boom (SQ) that I can cram into it.

I have added spacers(bought a kit) that raised the back seat 4.5''.

Now for the obstacles.... I have a support about 15 inches from the driver side holding the back seat up where it splits and a small hump to work around. I feel I can just build around both without too big of a problem. The support is at the back of the truck and will have to notch the box up about 6 inches to go around it.

My plan is to build a Fiberglass/MDF box. With the front,top,sides, and the divider out of 3/4" MDF. I am going to buildthe bottom and the back out of fiberglass, to be able to use up all the available space from the backwall to the rest of the box.

Now my question, will the fiberglass "set" to the wood securely and not "shake loose and create seal and vibration issues. Once I get the bottom of the box molded and check the fit I will mount the top of the box and glass the entire box.

One, figuring the airspace of a box with all the curves in the bottom back of the box and finding the true center(to equal out the volume of both sides) may be difficult.

Once I get the max voulme I can attain in each compartment I can then pick a set of subs and reduce the volume if needed.

My main point of the post is will the glass and MDF work together, would birch work out better?

Price isnt a huge concern(dont want a grand in the box alone...lol) I'm sure I could pay someone less to build it for me, but I used to live and breath this stuff and really want to do it myself(part of the fun).

Well I will await the answer on the glass/wood combo and then move on from there.

I hope to have enough room for two 10W7's and 2 JL 1000.1 . Prolly not gonna be enough room, if not I will do some research and go with something else. I just want this thing to rattle my teeth...lol

THX in advance,
    LOYD

LOYD is offline Junior Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: F150 custom build

Got the answers I needed from fiberglassforums....thx for the link!

Went and picked up my supplies today after work. Hope to get the MDF cut out tomorrow and get the back seat out to start FG the bottom of the box tomorrow afternoon/night.

Will take pics of my journey, will most likely need to ask a few questions when I run into a problem.

First FG job ever, and first box in years and years.

I have very high hopes though.

The W7's are a NO GO...just not gonna have the room. Will have to go with something else.

Blove1991 is offline Single Cabin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: F150 custom build

2 Fi Q's or BL's maybe

Daily: 94 POS Accord

Project: 86 2dr Chevy Blazer

Refs: BMXbikes, Wragold, Tommyk, ThumpinTitan, NewAgeKing, BushJ311, l7runner, jco1385, Big Joker, SPY, xxxbasshead

Closed Thread