Closed Thread

Reload Thread: ? about how much material for 1st fiberglass project...help needed.

bikinpunk is offline G-g-g-g-g-unity!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

? about how much material for 1st fiberglass project...help needed.

Doing a small spot near my a-pillar.
    I just need a general idea of how much resin, and mat I would need. I'm going to try to do this tonight if I can. Working on a budget, which is why I'm asking. Otherwise I would just get a lot and not worry about it. Thanks in advance.

Here's pics.

2006 Civic LX Sedan
    Pioneer P9. Audison BitOne. JL Audio HD. Scanspeak. Acoustic Elegance.

DIYma Refs:
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/itrader.php?u=1891

Caraudio.com refs:
    Groggy23, Radridd, bdubs767, 6spdcoupe, Cahm Rohn, Soydeedo, Lil_KB

E-bay Feedback: bikinpunk

LUV2BHATED is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: ? about how much material for 1st fiberglass project...help needed.

1 quart of resin should be more than enough not really sure about how much matt you would need i would go with 5 yards if its something small like you said but i guess you can wait for a expert to answer but thats what i would think

ONLY GOD CAN JUDGE ME SO FAQ WUT U THINK!!!!

req
    req is offline am a mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

a quart of resin and 8sqyd of matte will be overkill. but its the least amount can really get.

so what are your actual plans, i remember your thread. you could theoretically take the pillar off right? then tape off the area and put a layer of glass down. and let it get hard. then cut it back so the glass is maybe .5~1.5 inches larger than the pane of glass there.

make the panel like 1\16 inch thick (like 2 or 3 layers of glass) and then mount your tweeter thing on there aiming how it should. (test different angles before you glass it in).

then tape off the a pillar and all the surrounding area and go get some real thin stretchy material, like pantyhose type crap. and stretch it on your mould using hot glue or ca glue to mount it to the back.

then take some hot-glue and squirt it onto the glass pane and stick your glass thing where it should go. install your taped off panel. make sure it fits and its all good.

then take the panel off and apply resin to the thin material and re-install panel (make sure you dont get resin on anything)

wait till it dries and then take the panel off and pour resin on the inside and mix it around for some added strength. you may want to squirt expandi foam in there because there isnt much strength to this enclosure.

you could try adding glass to it, but the junction between the pillar and the edge of the glass is real tight, should hold it in place for you. you could try putting a few layers of glass on the thing when its wet and then putting the pillar on. might help. but you gotta make it smooth.

id wrap it in tan vynl.

hope that helps.

bikinpunk is offline G-g-g-g-g-unity!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by req View Post
    1. a quart of resin and 8sqyd of matte will be overkill. but its the least amount can really get.

2. so what are your actual plans, i remember your thread. you could theoretically take the pillar off right? then tape off the area and put a layer of glass down. and let it get hard. then cut it back so the glass is maybe .5~1.5 inches larger than the pane of glass there.

3. make the panel like 1\16 inch thick (like 2 or 3 layers of glass) and then mount your tweeter thing on there aiming how it should. (test different angles before you glass it in).

then tape off the a pillar and all the surrounding area and go get some real thin stretchy material, like pantyhose type crap. and stretch it on your mould using hot glue or ca glue to mount it to the back.

then take some hot-glue and squirt it onto the glass pane and stick your glass thing where it should go. install your taped off panel. make sure it fits and its all good.

then take the panel off and apply resin to the thin material and re-install panel (make sure you dont get resin on anything)

wait till it dries and then take the panel off and pour resin on the inside and mix it around for some added strength. you may want to squirt expandi foam in there because there isnt much strength to this enclosure.

you could try adding glass to it, but the junction between the pillar and the edge of the glass is real tight, should hold it in place for you. you could try putting a few layers of glass on the thing when its wet and then putting the pillar on. might help. but you gotta make it smooth.

4. id wrap it in tan vynl.

5. hope that helps.
    Numbered your questions to make it easier to answer.

1. okay

2. Yea, I could take the pillar off, but I’ve changed my mind about that. I am now going to make a mold of the window area, out to the edge of the pillar. Then I will use 2 rings for tweeter & midrange. I’m going ahead and doing the midrange now, though I won’t cut the cloth for the speaker yet…just doing it now so I won’t have to later.
    Basically I’ll be making a small enclosure with the back molded the shape of the window/pillar interface.

3. okay, though I will be doing most of the 'glassing in the car now. But, that still helps.

4. Ideas on where to get that?

5. it definitely does

6. (my own). Suggestions on how to get it to stick well? Do you think it will stay on its own, or should I just get some 3m tape to hold it in place?

Thanks again.

2006 Civic LX Sedan
    Pioneer P9. Audison BitOne. JL Audio HD. Scanspeak. Acoustic Elegance.

DIYma Refs:
    http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/itrader.php?u=1891

Caraudio.com refs:
    Groggy23, Radridd, bdubs767, 6spdcoupe, Cahm Rohn, Soydeedo, Lil_KB

E-bay Feedback: bikinpunk

Closed Thread

User Tag List