Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Staples Or Screws

johns is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Staples Or Screws

I was wondering I've seen alot of people using staples to build subwoofer boxes instead of screws.
    My question is what size staples to use and are they as strong as screws if you
    use alot of them

thank you for your comments

azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Staples Or Screws

its all personal preference, how people build boxes.

baseballer1100 is offline My life be like....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use staples. Its my preference

References:
    Caraudio.com
    Luckyt,Hotown,Thunder9500,Vladd,Mikeyb,kngoftheprk nglot, cd6551(x3),bolognabake,dalucifer,phrozen5100, frito,bring97, avs20,Resonant18,djman37,Showrides,Fi car audio(X2),jeeper07(x2),pimpedout97x,matrxx dude(x3),flakko(x2),mega1268,powernaudio,iamamp3pi mp.bamaboy,Daishi(x3).angrytrucker78,impalafan95.n etherland, down,blue200sx(x2),QtrHorseThecybe,jiggy2dmax,stc1 709,musclehead,NDMstang65v2,alxmlr789
    Carstereos.org
    Wackii,BrownNoiseBob
    Explorer4x4.com
    Fordexplorer157
    Mp3car.com
    StLB5,Coolskys05
    I know there is more ill try to find them.

kickerlivinloud is offline Banning survivor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

11/2" staples will work fine. They are plenty strong with glue, we use them at work all the time, and they have yet to fail us. I build houses for a living...

Jon

djman37 is offline SOLID

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by johns View Post
    I was wondering I've seen alot of people using staples to build subwoofer boxes instead of screws.
    My question is what size staples to use and are they as strong as screws if you
    use alot of them

thank you for your comments
    just keep in mind, it is the GLUE that holds the box together. Screws or staples just let you keep building while the glue dries.

Doug Blohm
    Team Southern Bass

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You dont need anything with perfect cuts...use a table saw and wood glue, nothing else

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

PowerNaudio is offline the power of audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wood glue is a very strong method to fasten your together, with out issues.
    but by personal preference i would never use that fastening method alone, since to me it seams to be kind of the prefab way. again personal preference here. nothing agains those who use that method alone.

now one of my personal prefrence and used more often then i like to is to use glue and brad nails, its fast and easy. who doesn't like that. lol

now my favorite method of fastening an enclosure together, although it takes longer and some people would say its a total waist of time and money, is the glue and screws fastening method.

the glue being titebond II again personal preference, i like the fact that it has a fast curing time. the screws, i use the 1 5/8" long coarse screws, reason for that is because if you drive the screw 1/8" deep on a 3/4" mdf panel. you'll have close to a 1" of screw on the other side of the panel for the mechanical hold. now i use a kind of special screw driving bit on my electric drill, that stops the screw at 1/8" below the panel.
    now a solid technic is to have 6" of separation between screws and predrilling with a 3/32" drill bit, that way youre sure to not split the wood, using the 3/32" drill bit, i have found that the screw gets more bite on the wood. while not spliting the wood. of coarse make sure you stay at least 1.5" to 3" away from any corners to avoid spliting of the wood if it was to happen.

AIM:powernaudio,yahoo:powernaudio,email address: powernaudio at gmail.com contact me if you need any help.

Portafolio
    builds
    more builds
    saturn l300 build
    videos

References:Mr.Loki,dubbinjet,trucktoy,fancynapkin, netherland,Datdudedru,hockey1playa33,
    donbon86,PhatTonyDeMar,Saywhat?,vosschs,ChuckKlock er,budlightman361,baseballer1100,elslug,
    bdogg321,projectpat06,eatank,BodegaBay,playboyclic ,cbrrocketrdr,iwanturmags,pboulos,DaBeholder,
    bholtmeier,beatthis27,OldManTod,MTXman,Gianotti.

jmanpc is offline CA.com Nostalgist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, I use Titebond (We pronounce it "***-e-bond") and 1 5/8" coarse drywall screws.

2007 Red Ford Focus ZX4 SE
    - Clarion DXZ955MC -
    - MB Quart RSD216 - 2 MB Quart RWE-354 in 4 cubic feet sealed -
    - MB Quart DSC4125 - Audiopipe AP1500.1D - Optima Blue Top -

Team High Sexage

teylix is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah doesnt matter.

glue is all you need really. screws will fail LONG before anything happens to the glued connections

2006 Tiburon SE
    Orange Crush~

Speaker Setup:
    Rainbow SLC 265 Components
    JBL Stock Coaxials
    Eclipse CD5000 HU
    JL 500/1 Amp
    JL 300/4 Amp
    2 JL 10W6v2 Subs

Bumpn Focus is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I like using screws. Pretty much because thats how I was taught, and I've pretty much stuck with it.

Team That Hertz
    2003 Ford Focus ZX3
    Loudest USACi SB2 Competitor in VA (Avg over 30 secs: 145.2[OLD SETUP])

New Equipment:
    (4) 12" Exile Audio XP's
    (1) Exile Audio 2400.1
    Lots of Peel and Seal
    147.1 at 41hz on the TL

Quote Originally Posted by Rmsanger View Post
    Wisconsin people aren't all that scary with all their cheese and ****.

rpfuror is online now sound envy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have used both many times. I like the braid nailer approach as it is much quicker and you don't have to counter sink anything. The only thing with either is that if you get to close to the edge of the wood you WILL split it.

With straight cuts and time, I just glue, clamp and let dry.

**rpfuror_designs**
    ** Ask me about box design and construction **

Build: bigmike8771, bama350z, nismos14, speedyg76, onnoff7, orioles26, Airman21

Design: RFmustang, e22s, Platestacker45, lilgator, diminishedpower, hannibal05

Buy/Sell: 00maxima, Flyhalf, CaliforniabOY5, angrytrucker78, shawnfleming, dre2390 , IM IN HERE, Spellman, LazyRider, mikescanlon, AZ-ss, BLD 25, x1le woofercooker, Twisted_0912

PowerNaudio is offline the power of audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by teylix View Post
    yeah doesnt matter.

glue is all you need really. screws will fail LONG before anything happens to the glued connections
    hmm that is very interesting. would you be kind enough to elaborate and provide more detailed information on how a screw will fail LONG before anything happens to the glue connection.
    im not arguing your knowledge on this subject, just trying to get more info so i can increase my knowledge on this particular subject.

AIM:powernaudio,yahoo:powernaudio,email address: powernaudio at gmail.com contact me if you need any help.

Portafolio
    builds
    more builds
    saturn l300 build
    videos

References:Mr.Loki,dubbinjet,trucktoy,fancynapkin, netherland,Datdudedru,hockey1playa33,
    donbon86,PhatTonyDeMar,Saywhat?,vosschs,ChuckKlock er,budlightman361,baseballer1100,elslug,
    bdogg321,projectpat06,eatank,BodegaBay,playboyclic ,cbrrocketrdr,iwanturmags,pboulos,DaBeholder,
    bholtmeier,beatthis27,OldManTod,MTXman,Gianotti.

bjfish11 is offline FisherCustoms.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use screws and wood glue. This is because I dont clamp my panels. I personally dont think brads (or staples) alone will pull the panels together tight enough to make a good joint. Screws take longer, but to me, its not worth it.

Authorized SSA Loaded Enclosure Dealer

kickerlivinloud is offline Banning survivor

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bjfish11 View Post
    I use screws and wood glue. This is because I dont clamp my panels. I personally dont think brads (or staples) alone will pull the panels together tight enough to make a good joint. Screws take longer, but to me, its not worth it.

2X!!!!! Screws are the best for pulling the panels together.

Jon

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PowerNaudio View Post
    hmm that is very interesting. would you be kind enough to elaborate and provide more detailed information on how a screw will fail LONG before anything happens to the glue connection.
    im not arguing your knowledge on this subject, just trying to get more info so i can increase my knowledge on this particular subject.
    Its very hard to get a good answer on that...on one hand its obvious that glue is stronger than the screw, conduct a simple test yourself. Screw two panels together and glue the other two with wood glue. The screws will snap or sheer the wood off before the wood glue fails. Ive done it

However, its hard to tell if using nails/screws in conjunction with glue will increase or decrease the strength of the joints. The way i see it however, if the glue is stronger than the wood itself, why would you need anything else?

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast