Closed Thread

Reload Thread: soo im building a new box again, quick question.

tank65 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

soo im building a new box again, quick question.

well after sub displacement its 8.66cubic ft.

wanted it tuned to 30hz. minimum area for the slot port would be 100.55inches.

so i did 16.5in. by 7in giving me 115.5in. area.

so when using http://www.carstereo.com/help2/Articles.cfm?id=31

i put in 1 port and the rest of the info and it gives me 27.57in. in length.

But if i wanted to do 2 ports, lets say one on each side of the box towards the back couldnt i just do two ports at 16.5x3.5 at 13.78in. in length?

or am i doing that all wrong?

Mr Bojangles is offline Bullhockey

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: soo im building a new box again, quick question.

you will need to enter 2 ports and it will recalculate for you.. Not exactly sure if it will be exactly half if you go with two ports instead of one big one. You would think, but i'm not sure if that's right

F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat in need of SQ!

Bought From:
    153dbcivic, gentlejax, waggs, roscod1, tapout, pioneerpimp, sundownz, fletch, Inferno333, sxpimpin, loudwhat?
    Sold To
    XCaliber, billabongcr

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well if i do enter 2 ports then would i enter only half of the width of a single port in the Area section?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

anybodyyyyyy??? lol come on i know this is probably a noob *** question but i knew absolutely nothing about car audio up until half a year ago and i think im doing pretty good. this part is just buggin the hell outta me. I thought i knew the answer but then im like hmm what if im wrong.

jcbabb is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Since you're using 2 ports, my understanding is that you divide the volume of your box by 2. Use the half-sized volume, and use the half sized single port dimension as well. Then your volume becomes 4.33, the number of ports is still 1, Each port (at 16.5 by 3.5)should end up being 32 inches long.

Actually, it also works if you just enter 2 ports using your complete volume, and enter the half-sized port dimension(16.5 x 3.5) as well.

rpfuror is offline sound envy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't get the same output based on your inputs. First you want to make sure that you are using the volume of port displacement and substracting it from the gross internal volume. If this is not done your tuning will be way off.

As far are your data given I get
    Length Slot=31.05" @ 7" port opening
    Last edited by rpfuror; 01-17-2007 at 01:51 PM.

**rpfuror_designs**
    ** Ask me about box design and construction **

Build: bigmike8771, bama350z, nismos14, speedyg76, onnoff7, orioles26, Airman21

Design: RFmustang, e22s, Platestacker45, lilgator, diminishedpower, hannibal05

Buy/Sell: 00maxima, Flyhalf, CaliforniabOY5, angrytrucker78, shawnfleming, dre2390 , IM IN HERE, Spellman, LazyRider, mikescanlon, AZ-ss, BLD 25, x1le woofercooker, Twisted_0912

jcbabb is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

RP, make sure you click "yes" on the "slot port" button. I also noticed that if you switch height for width on the square vent dimensions(in other words, input a port height of 7 and width of 16.5 versus 16.5w and 7h), the port length changes. To me, it doesn't seem like it should, but using this calculator, it does.

Also, using that particular calculator, you can't take your port volume into account( in order to subtract it from your box volume) because you don't have a port length yet. I was assuming you would keep the net volume a constant(8.66 total AFTER speaker and port displacement), but then your box would need to be bigger(8.66 plus the volume of the port(s)).

mazdakid is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)

when using more than 1 port you dont just divide the length of the port into 2 separate ones, dual ports will have to be longer than a single one

traded-pickup1, power-fanatic07, fbi90909
    sold to-superspank, dumple, JoeRa22, sub-FATHER, TrlcKed_OuT, rosrock, dcole18, RaiN, BassAddictJ, tommyk90, MANTI5, Micah_Jones, mrflamboynt, g6ryder, rebelfromva, n8skow

Closed Thread