Closed Thread

Reload Thread: My ported box design

shendrix777 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon14 My ported box design

I have an 89 ford ranger supercab and im putting 2-10.1 infinity perfects in it. Due to the lack of space im designing something creative. Don't worry about dimensions I have it measured out to be almost exactly the rated 1.0 ft^3 I just need to know if the design will work. I have never built a ported box before so I am going off research alone, any input and design ideas similar to this will be helpful. Sorry that my drawing *****.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails My ported box design-myboxporteddraft.jpg  

Mr Cabinetry is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: My ported box design

Quote Originally Posted by shendrix777 View Post
    I have an 89 ford ranger supercab and im putting 2-10.1 infinity perfects in it. Due to the lack of space im designing something creative. Don't worry about dimensions I have it measured out to be almost exactly the rated 1.0 ft^3 I just need to know if the design will work. I have never built a ported box before so I am going off research alone, any input and design ideas similar to this will be helpful. Sorry that my drawing *****.
    Well, if you calculated the total volume @ 1.0 cu.ft. for what you have your already boned since your using 2 subs ya need 2.0 cu.ft.

Next, your design shows only 1 round port for 2 subs, your boned in terms of port noise since your doing the subwoofers common chamber ported and if you use the spec's provided per Infinity's pdf enclosure, the enclosure is going to sound like azz because the port tuning is going to be way off.

The design concept is good but you will need increase the enclosure size to bring the volume inline with the spec's and you will also have to re-calculate for multiple ports in a common chamber if you want to maintain the tuning frequency spec'd as well.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry I made a mistake it is 2.0 ft^3, 1.0 per/sub. But I'm not sure what you mean in reference to the ports. I will need 2 ports for 2 subs? If you could explain that I would be very greatful.

PowerNaudio is offline the power of audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

since you have 2 10" subs 1 4" port even though it will get you the tuning you need, is too small in diameter to support the amount of air being forced trough it, and the end result will equal port noise. so youll need to increase the amount of ports used to bring port noise down to none audible. so to achive that youll need at least 2 4" ports per sub.

AIM:powernaudio,yahoo:powernaudio,email address: powernaudio at gmail.com contact me if you need any help.

Portafolio
    builds
    more builds
    saturn l300 build
    videos

References:Mr.Loki,dubbinjet,trucktoy,fancynapkin, netherland,Datdudedru,hockey1playa33,
    donbon86,PhatTonyDeMar,Saywhat?,vosschs,ChuckKlock er,budlightman361,baseballer1100,elslug,
    bdogg321,projectpat06,eatank,BodegaBay,playboyclic ,cbrrocketrdr,iwanturmags,pboulos,DaBeholder,
    bholtmeier,beatthis27,OldManTod,MTXman,Gianotti.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the sub specs it recommends a 3in port being 10.4 inches long. If I use a 4 in port what would be an ideal length?

xluben is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

In the sub specs it recommends a 3in port being 10.4 inches long. If I use a 4 in port what would be an ideal length?
    do you realize you need to account for port and sub displacement when figuring net volume?

so for that 3" port and a 10" sub you could assume around 0.12ft^3 of displacement.

but that recommended port is only 7in^2 of port area and tunes the box to 38Hz.

port is too small, and tuned too high.

i'd go for at least two four inch ports (for both subs combined) and tune to 35Hz or lower if possible.

assuming a decent amount of driver displacement and the correct port displacement:

to get a 2ft^3 box tuned to 32Hz you need:

2.65ft^3 of internal volume (before displacement)
    two, 4" diameter ports, each 30" long

just an example, but i hope that helps!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you that makes alot more sense now. My box is 2.3 ft^3 if i still added the port would there be any possible ways to make the design work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thank you that makes alot more sense now. My box is 2.3 ft^3 if i still added the port would there be any possible ways to make the design work.
    hmm, you're really pushing it.

making a too small ported box will have a very peaked response, and probably not sound good with most music.

1ft^3 seems small to begin with, sometimes manufacturer recommendations aren't always best. if you had t/s parameters you could model it with winisd or other software to get a better idea of how small is 'too small'

maybe just try a sealed box?

or figure out a way to get a little more space?

Pyro_By_Nature is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not even going to try and read all the notes.Just go sealed.

BTW: You don't need 2 4" ports for 1 10" sub.

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction. - Bob Marley
    2005 Subaru WRX
    1990 Honda CRX Si

Refs.: NHustlar, t00p, Kenny Pollock, vitveet, defj., mendon99, trevor87, saltyreefguy, willster, Iammurph, Dimensions684, kungfoojesus, karleon, bonestock, highhorsepwr, digital_ripper04, scottie johnson, stevew007, slammed, joshs98runner, PBateman, Sakura, duece212, mtx11, dirtye30, queball, audioarsonal, KHARPS. Not including box designs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer Man View Post

i was suggesting 2 4" ports for 2 10" subs.

Pyro_By_Nature is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by xluben View Post
    i was suggesting 2 4" ports for 2 10" subs.
    No no no no lol, I was referring to powernaudio.

Herb is the healing of a nation, alcohol is the destruction. - Bob Marley
    2005 Subaru WRX
    1990 Honda CRX Si

Refs.: NHustlar, t00p, Kenny Pollock, vitveet, defj., mendon99, trevor87, saltyreefguy, willster, Iammurph, Dimensions684, kungfoojesus, karleon, bonestock, highhorsepwr, digital_ripper04, scottie johnson, stevew007, slammed, joshs98runner, PBateman, Sakura, duece212, mtx11, dirtye30, queball, audioarsonal, KHARPS. Not including box designs.

PowerNaudio is offline the power of audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mountaineer Man View Post

you dont need 2 4" per 10" sub. but 2 4" per sub will most likely keep the box port noise free.

AIM:powernaudio,yahoo:powernaudio,email address: powernaudio at gmail.com contact me if you need any help.

Portafolio
    builds
    more builds
    saturn l300 build
    videos

References:Mr.Loki,dubbinjet,trucktoy,fancynapkin, netherland,Datdudedru,hockey1playa33,
    donbon86,PhatTonyDeMar,Saywhat?,vosschs,ChuckKlock er,budlightman361,baseballer1100,elslug,
    bdogg321,projectpat06,eatank,BodegaBay,playboyclic ,cbrrocketrdr,iwanturmags,pboulos,DaBeholder,
    bholtmeier,beatthis27,OldManTod,MTXman,Gianotti.

Mr Cabinetry is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

To the OP,

Just bag using round ports and use one larger slot port to handle the the increased air pressure that two subwoofers common chamber will need to move to reduce the chance of port noise occurring.

In order for you to properly calculate the correct net volume plus subwoofer displacement for your design merely subtract the volume being displaced by the port per Inifinity's spec'd ported design.

Then, use whatever design program you like to re-design the enclosure to properly calculate for a single slot port to port tuning you want, but more important, to provide enough port area so you don't get any port noise based on the amount of power you intend to push the subs with.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for all the help guys I went with the sealed enclosure to be on the safe side. Ill get some pics on here when I get to my comp.

Closed Thread