Closed Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Reload Thread: Too Many Choices!

  1. #1
    novaman64's Avatar
    novaman64 is offline Some Squid



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NorCal, CA
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Too Many Choices!

    So I am totally new to having a system in my car... I recently got my hands on a Pioneer TS-SW2541D sub. Still trying to figure out a affordable amp to go with it but thats a whole different story.

    Heres the deal. I listen to rock (metal) about 90% of the time, the other 10% is a tossup between reggae or alternative rock. I am going to build my own box, but my question is should I go with a bandpass or ported box? I was told those 2 are the best for the types of music I listen to, should I consider a sealed box? This is all going in a Mazda King Cab pickup tuck, an little 91' B2600i. I don't care if the car next to me can hear/feel my base, I just want something that sounds good inside my truck.







  2. #2
    Jarred's Avatar
    Jarred is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Australia, South
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Many Choices!

    Im fairly new too, but if you are building your first box, will proberly be alot easier just to build a sealed rather then a ported, unless you can get someone else to design it all, and you are good with carpentry skills.




  3. #3
    novaman64's Avatar
    novaman64 is offline Some Squid

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NorCal, CA
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Many Choices!

    I can handle my own with wood/metal or anything mechanical. Have full access to routers, lathes, mills and anything else I could possibly dream of needing. Building it is not the issue, its a matter of selecting the type of box to build for my vehicle/music tastes.




  4. #4
    msujeepaholic's Avatar
    msujeepaholic is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lake charles, Louisiana
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Many Choices!

    I'd go with a sealed box for the fact that some metal has double bass and in my experience sealed is the only way to go with double bass.



    System:
    Deck:Alpine 9835
    Components: JL xr
    Comp. Amp: Profile AP400
    Substage: Two assasin 8s
    Sub Amp: Orion1200D



    Refs: Chevyaudio,Fi car audio,Mlstrass

  5. #5
    Immacomputer's Avatar
    Immacomputer is offline Cloud disappear



    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Ocala/Oviedo, FL
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,670
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Many Choices!

    Quote Originally Posted by msujeepaholic View Post
    I'd go with a sealed box for the fact that some metal has double bass and in my experience sealed is the only way to go with double bass.
    That depends on the sub. You may just be experiencing enclosures that are too large for the drivers to sound decent with double bass. I have heard plenty of sealed subs sound terrible and sloppy with double bass.



    Video 1
    I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
    Your sperm's in the gutter -- your love's in the sink.
    Video 2

  6. #6
    msujeepaholic's Avatar
    msujeepaholic is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Lake charles, Louisiana
    Posts
    152
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Many Choices!

    Good point on that, and that is exactly why I'm still learning.



    System:
    Deck:Alpine 9835
    Components: JL xr
    Comp. Amp: Profile AP400
    Substage: Two assasin 8s
    Sub Amp: Orion1200D



    Refs: Chevyaudio,Fi car audio,Mlstrass

  7. #7
    novaman64's Avatar
    novaman64 is offline Some Squid

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    NorCal, CA
    Posts
    12
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Too Many Choices!

    Quote Originally Posted by Immacomputer View Post
    That depends on the sub. You may just be experiencing enclosures that are too large for the drivers to sound decent with double bass. I have heard plenty of sealed subs sound terrible and sloppy with double bass.

    So with that being said I have the manufacturers recommendations for minimum volume, maximum volume and then their recommended volumes, as well as port lengths/diameter and everything else for the 3 types of boxes. Assuming that the box will be built correctly for my TS-SW2541D sub which box would work the best with metal?




Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum