Closed Thread

Reload Thread: big @ss sealed box

M@nJo is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

big @ss sealed box

have any of you guys ever just builded a big @ss sealed box and just threw in some sub(s) to see how it sounded?

refs: jalverson, hccafan, seth305, kevokrook77, bjfish11, jmanjr, allenzo, spy, erthshker, morgans432, Fuknmovin, evilsaint, Goindef154

creyc is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: big @ss sealed box

Well, it's not really that exciting. In fact it approaches an infinite baffle setup as the box gets increasingly larger.

Low end extension improves but power handling is lowered overall.

The yellow line is an RE SE12 in a 1 cu ft sealed box. The red line is a 10 cu ft box. A 5dB improvement at 20Hz, falling to a 2dB improvement at 30Hz. Above 30 and it gets worse in this example. Not even accounting for the reduced power handling.
    Last edited by creyc; 12-09-2006 at 07:22 AM.

"last time I checked ohm was short for ohmega... " - Death By Bass

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: big @ss sealed box

I've built a way larger than required box before. I did it and put more pieces of MDF in it gradually to see what size of box sounded best in the vehicle. Eventually, I decided on a size and cut part of the box off, making it go from 5.?? cubic feet, down to about 3.2 cubic feet. It overexcurted way too easily in larger than 4, and there wasn't any audible difference in the lowend of things between the largest size, and the 3.2 cuft size. Above 50hz, the largest size suffered alot. Bumping it down to 3.5 boosted it dramatically, and cut down on the "overexcursion without alot of sound" problem. Then, cutting it down even further to 3.2 cuft, there was minimal audible lowend loss, so thats where it stayed. The box still sits at that size. Thats the first box I built. It housed a Kicker C18C, which is no longer made. Pretty fun if you are bored enough.

Refs:
    Bought. Team H&K (x1), scottiej (x3), JohnnyCuttz (x1), Kevokrook77 (x1), AudioBliss84 (x1), azngotskills (x1), AudioXtremes (x2), tukn18s (x1), RyanM923 (x1), TheMommyVan (x1), sqhertz (x1), HawaiianBassHed (x1), xplicitACTS (x1), Toxic Tuan (x2), DeViOuSoNe (x1), X5ballin (x1), Korn4Life (x1), Colt9699 (x1), lil_italy773 (x1), bk12321 (x1), matthewo (x1).

Sold. IonSql (x1), cd6551 (x1).

Closed Thread