Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Bend/Elbow in circular port

I am in the process of designing my box still, and wanted to know if I put in an Aeroport will a bend/Elbow affect the tuning or add port noise. I want the box to take up less depth so would it be better to just make it mdf or is the bend/elbow a viable option.

disturbedfuel15 is offline So Is Life

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Re: Bend/Elbow in circular port

It wouldn't be a very good idea, unless you can do some sanding to the inside of the pipe(s) so that there isn't any sharp angles or anything like that. I hope you know what I mean, it's really kind of hard to explain. When the elbow meets the pipe, the pipe is smaller than the elbow, causing it to not be smooth all the way through. To minimize port noise, you need to make the sound waves as happy as possible by minimizing sharp bends, edges, etc. Thats why when you see the MDF ports with many bends, they usually make 45 degree corners so that the sound waves will travel easier through the port. Catch my drift?

Refs: IMXELITE, Relax, JustStoppingBy, KnightWhoSaysNI, btdickey99
    eBay: (tmiks07 & X_gamer7)

Wonger is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by disturbedfuel15 View Post
    It wouldn't be a very good idea, unless you can do some sanding to the inside of the pipe(s) so that there isn't any sharp angles or anything like that. I hope you know what I mean, it's really kind of hard to explain. When the elbow meets the pipe, the pipe is smaller than the elbow, causing it to not be smooth all the way through. To minimize port noise, you need to make the sound waves as happy as possible by minimizing sharp bends, edges, etc. Thats why when you see the MDF ports with many bends, they usually make 45 degree corners so that the sound waves will travel easier through the port. Catch my drift?

Believe it ot not, I know exactly what you're saying.

136.7 MECA

Ref:cd6551, southstylestang, QtrHorse, malic, Toxic Tuan, matthewo, bigeasy79, eBay:syfm

djman37 is offline SOLID

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

partsexpress now sells DIY port kits w/bends.

Doug Blohm
    Team Southern Bass

GemaRastem is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

You have no idea what you are talking about.

op, as long as the port is large enough in diameter, you shouldn't have to worry about port noise with a single bend in the pipe. I would recommend atleast a 4" pvc pipe and a single bend, make sure you still have 4" from the opening of the port in the box, and the box itself.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

rarg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

There was a guy at the last even I was at that had a ext-cab setup with 4 6" elbows store bought and was hittin high numbers. The ports were coming up from the box and facing forward. Kinda odd, but i liked how "out of the ordinary" it was.

Quote Originally Posted by xploit2 View Post
    OneKrazyKeebler BEST AVATAR EVER!! OWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    Refs:
    so long ago, they dont effin count anymore, get over it

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by GemaRastem View Post
    You have no idea what you are talking about.

op, as long as the port is large enough in diameter, you shouldn't have to worry about port noise with a single bend in the pipe. I would recommend atleast a 4" pvc pipe and a single bend, make sure you still have 4" from the opening of the port in the box, and the box itself.
    No, you have no idea what you are talking about you dumb ****. I don't make these things up off the top of my head, I listen to what others say, and then compare it to real world expirience. If sharp edges make no difference at all, then why the **** do the most expirienced box builders on these forums make 45 degree corners in their boxes with long ports? Just quit typing before you make someone else dumber

GemaRastem is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

No, you have no idea what you are talking about you dumb ****. I don't make these things up off the top of my head, I listen to what others say, and then compare it to real world expirience. If sharp edges make no difference at all, then why the **** do the most expirienced box builders on these forums make 45 degree corners in their boxes with long ports? Just quit typing before you make someone else dumber
    hey, guess what dumb****, sound waves aren't traveling through the port, and you don't have to make them "happy". It's air traveling through the port, and people take out the edges in order to improve airflow. Go **** a ****.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

rarg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Miller: [url
    www.hometheaterfi.com]Also[/url], a large volume of air pushed through a relatively small opening may generate turbulence, or a chuffing sound. Ports can be shaped (flared at the openings) to limit turbulence, however, so the compromise doesn’t have to arise, but must be dealt with.
    I will give you that it's the air going through, but you'll never convince me that having sharp spots isn't a bad thing. Why do aeroports claim to add a noticable difference? The design inside of them. The tiny ridges they put in them. Every little bit counts. I don't have to prove anything to you, though. Instead of trying desperately to prove me wrong, how about you help wonger answer his question? You started this whole thing by saying I have no idea what I'm talking about, which is completely wrong by all means.

phantom240 is offline ALL YOUR INTERNETZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 18lexusowner View Post
    If your not a liberal cockbag than it's funny.
    Refs: Lostsoul, DaGh0st, Jadeaudio, mhschiefs806, revrider1, GavinVoy, maximpakt

Closed Thread

User Tag List