Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Alpine Type R 10 Single Cab S-10 Enclosure

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alpine Type R 10 Single Cab S-10 Enclosure

I'm looking to build an enclosure... and I've read and researched as much as I can, but I still can't seem to find an answer for my application.

I've got a standard cab s-10, and I'm thinking of building a ported wedge enclosure.

Here's the information that I've put together so far...

Here's what I've got. Again, just some figures that I put in. Still not sure exactly how to build it or even what's best....

Here are the specs on the 1022D speaker...

1,500 Watts Total Output
    500 Watts RMS
    Frequency Response: 26 Hz to 500 Hz
    Sensitivity: 85 dB
    Dual 2 Ohm Voice Coil
    Mounting Depth: 7"
    Sealed Box Volume: 0.5 - .8 cubic feet
    Ported Box Volume: 0.6 - 1.25 cubic feet
    Kevlar Re-enforced Pulp Fiber Cone

I decided to go with the WEDGE 2 DESIGN...

Here are the parameters:

WIDTH: 24 inches
    HEIGHT 1: 12.5 inches
    HEIGHT 2: 2.5 inches
    DEPTH: 12 inches
    THICKNESS (Of material): .75 (3/4 MDF)

TOTAL= 0.82031 cubic feet of interior volume

Here's the information on the port size....

Round Port

Quantity: 1
    Enclosure Volume: .82031
    Desired Tuning Frequency: 35 Hz
    Port Diameter: 2 inches

Vent length: 6.96 inches

I've never built an enclosure before, but I want this system to sound as good as possible. I'm looking for low bass, so I went with 35 Hz. Correct me if I'm wrong, but if I stick to around 500w RMS this shouldn't damage my sub, right?

The big thing is, if I wanted to sacrifice room, I couldn't. I don't care where the passenger seat sits, but I'm 5'11'' and would like to at least have a little bit of room. The good thing is that I have power seats, so I have a bit more options than a bench seat.

I read the box designs sticky up at the top... but I'm curious as to what the figures mean... Would, say, 1.9@35 mean 1.9 cubic feet at 35 Hz?

Only problem is that those box designs are for a square box. Is there an easy way to build a ported box? Especially in a wedge design? Also, do the measurements for my box as well as the port length look OK? I'm thinking that the port should be PVC at 6.96 inches in length at 2 inches in diameter, right? Again, I've never built an enclosure, so I'm not even sure if this will work.

Plus, if anyone has some good information or a link to how to build a ported box, that would be great. I'm not sure exactly how to glue / silicone the piece of PVC pipe into the box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

QUESTION 2:

I hear that if you invert the sub, it sounds exactly the same, just more aesthetically pleasing. To try and make MORE ROOM and give myself some more cubic feet, I'm wanting to build a box / console.... the box would be a wedge type that went behind the seats, and would be a seperate chamber from the console. The console would connect to the box and go between the seats (duh) just paint a picture.

The console would go up to the wedged box at an angle, and the sub would be inverted, but stick out between the seats. Following me?

Would it be better to put a port in the box? Or would it be better to leave it sealed? I'm looking for the most bass possible.
    Last edited by sdimeconcept; 11-13-2006 at 03:46 PM.

sdimeconcept is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Alpine Type R 10 Single Cab S-10 Enclosure

Hmm.... interesting. No replies? Has this question been asked 100 times, and I just can't find the thread?

BaseSteala112 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You seem like your interpreting everthing ok. Port calculations seem good. I don't personally have any experience with the Type R but Tommyk can lead you in the right direction. Some guys do go with a single inverted sub between the seats so they can get by the mounting depth issue.

Oh and you probably haven't gotten many replies because no one felt like reading your post. Try shortening it up next time. Good luck though if you try and build it.

Truck
    1999 S-10 Extreme Reg. Cab

System
    HU - Alpine 9813
    Fronts- JL XR 6.5" CSI
    Subs- (4) 8" JL W0
    Component Amp - Memphis MCA3004
    Sub Amp - JL 500/1
    Battery Terminals - Stinger SXBTM/SXBT
    Wires - Monster Cable

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah, it is a little scary when you first look at it...

I figured if I didn't put all that information in, I may not get the right answer. Just wanted to make sure I was doing everything right. I'm going to build the box hopefully in the next weekend or two. I'll post some pictures when I get it finished.

I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to do the console, and whether or not I'm going to connect it to the sub box. I guess I'll just have to build the box and see.

Thanks for the help.

juststartin is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ive personally had a type R in my reg cab ranger, and it was a bit of a hasle building the box to the specs, and trying to maintain good leg room. i had a sealed box, and it sounded good. but i just recently switched it out for 2 L5 10's and just one of em sounded better then the 1 type R ....with less power goin to the L5, so....but hope it turns out good for ya

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The great thing is that I have leather power bucket seats, so I can get a bit more room behind the seat without sacrificing too much leg room.

I hear the type R's sound really good in a ported box, so hopefully it will all work out. As soon as I can get it built and in the truck, I'll let you know how it sounds and what I built the box too.

I think I'm going to build it to 1.57 cubic feet though, with a port of 7.7 inches and 3 inches in diameter. I didn't really know how to calculate the port, the braces, and what not to figure out how much room I had lost. I figure if I go with the higher number, then if I lose a little cubic feet, I'm still good to go.

Closed Thread