User Tag List

Closed Thread

Reload Thread: volume & tuning suggestions (3 l7's)

ajm
    ajm is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

volume & tuning suggestions (3 l7's)

Im looking for some box suggestions for 3 10" L7's. Currently they are in a box that is 3.5 cubes tuned to 37hz and pretty much sound like crap and it doesnt seem to get a real deep bass sound. Just more of a burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr sound. Overall I have 50" x 10.5" x ~25" to play with. The box is going in the back of an extended cab f150 (no back seat).

Im not asking you guys for designs. Im just wondering what you guys think (volume and tuning frequency wise) will give me nice results. Overall im lookin for something thats loud as possible yet still holds a decent bass sound not a "burrrrrr" like I have now.
    Last edited by ajm; 10-25-2006 at 05:06 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: volume & tuning suggestions (3 l7's)

I would tune near 30 so you don't cause them to move too far in the lower 30s, that may be your problem with the "burrr"sound... overexcursion.

ajm

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    I would tune near 30 so you don't cause them to move too far in the lower 30s, that may be your problem with the "burrr"sound... overexcursion.

I never thought about the overexcursion being a problem but it does make sense. With low volumes things seem reasonable but once I crank on it the sound goes to hell in a hand basket. Basicly it just seems like a giant vibrator where the back seat should be. The sound it makes is actually pretty freakin annoying which is the main reason I want to do away with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

L7s don't have alot of excursion do they? Do they use the same motor on the 10s, 12s and 15s? I know some companies use motors with smaller excursion limits on smaller subs than their bigger versions... probably to get people to ugrade or something.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, companies love to do that in order to make a profit.

Woops. I just replied to my own reply. I is n00b.

Refs:
    Bought. Team H&K (x1), scottiej (x3), JohnnyCuttz (x1), Kevokrook77 (x1), AudioBliss84 (x1), azngotskills (x1), AudioXtremes (x2), tukn18s (x1), RyanM923 (x1), TheMommyVan (x1), sqhertz (x1), HawaiianBassHed (x1), xplicitACTS (x1), Toxic Tuan (x2), DeViOuSoNe (x1), X5ballin (x1), Korn4Life (x1), Colt9699 (x1), lil_italy773 (x1), bk12321 (x1), matthewo (x1).

Sold. IonSql (x1), cd6551 (x1).

PowerNaudio is offline the power of audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

are all the sub in phase. while playing some low freq test tones look at all the subs and see if they are all moving in the same direction. a sub out of phase will couse it to sound like as,s when you crank the volume, since you have 3 and not 2 subs, at low volume the two that are in phase will out do the one thats not and sound ok, but at higher power it becomes notisable.

L7 can take quite a bit of power, so i doubt that they are over excurting is such a small enclosure.

also make sure that the voice coils are wired properly. had a guy playing two subs with dual voice coils and one of the sub had once voice coil wired backward. so the sub was fighting to move forward and back at the same time.lol very noisy.

you havent mensioned what amp youre using with these 3 subs?. also what is the voice coil configuration and how do you have them wired to the amp?

laters

AIM:powernaudio,yahoo:powernaudio,email address: powernaudio at gmail.com contact me if you need any help.

Portafolio
    builds
    more builds
    saturn l300 build
    videos

References:Mr.Loki,dubbinjet,trucktoy,fancynapkin, netherland,Datdudedru,hockey1playa33,
    donbon86,PhatTonyDeMar,Saywhat?,vosschs,ChuckKlock er,budlightman361,baseballer1100,elslug,
    bdogg321,projectpat06,eatank,BodegaBay,playboyclic ,cbrrocketrdr,iwanturmags,pboulos,DaBeholder,
    bholtmeier,beatthis27,OldManTod,MTXman,Gianotti.

ajm

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The amp is a power acoustic a3000db. Theyre dual 2's wired to 1.5 ohms.

ajm

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ive done some talking with kicker through email. Given the dimensions I have to play with he says a box built to the following dimensions 50 x 13.5 x 25 with a port that is 100 square inches at the opening and 18 inches long. Should provide me with what im looking for. Something that will hit hard and low yet still be loud.

Closed Thread