Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Box design.

Hurro is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Box design.

OK, first and foremost, above all else, etc etc. DO NOT LAUGH! I **** with Photoshop. :-p

www.tritechservice.com/crude.jpg

Barring dimenions, would this be an OK idea for a custom box design, mechanically, that is. How would it sound if I had the subs in the trunk, and the port went into the cab? Has anyone done this before? Or is it not done for some obvious reason I'm missing. I don't know whether to have the subs face the seat or the rear. If they faced the seat I would think I need to seal the box from behind (bandpass styles). Could I flip the phase if I left the cone facing forward? If that's even how phasing works.

Well I don't know what else to ask until I get shot down on my design... Soo...hopefully someone can suggest something.

BTW; this will be going into a 1978 Buick Regal if anyone has one kicking around. I'll get pics as soon as I can dig up my camera.

Thanks in advance,

Hurro

gsxrjjordan is offline SR20/GSXR Pilot

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Box design.

I have the rear speakers out of my rear deck in my 240sx, so I thought about putting the port firing up into the empty space in the rear deck, but couldn't do it because the port is longer than the box is tall (and remember you need at least one port diameter in clearance on the inside as well), but it is a good idea.

As far as where to point the speaker(s), pointing back is the best. It gives the bass waves (which are very long) time to fully form before you hear them - just sounds better.

================================================== ================
    S14 240sx w/SR20DET + GT28R/etc + sound system you can't hear unless the motor's off
    - Alpine CDA-9855 w/Ipod adapter (so I can listen to compressed crap and end up puttin in CDs anyway)
    - TRU Technology T4.100 w/BB IC upgrade
    - CDT 6.5" components (in .3ft^3 sealed door boxes) with 560 x-over and CenterStage (tweets in A pillars and mid of dash)
    - Soundstream Reference 10" (old school, efficient, +SQ) in a 1.9^3 ft - Fb 32Hz, F3=38Hz

'05 GSXR1000 track bike w/ipod + Shure headphones

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Box design.

go for it, when doing your calculations factor the trunk as the sealed part of a bandpass enclosure, and things will be a little more predictable.

This assumes you have the coffin trunk with only the rear speaks open to the cabin.

Closed Thread