Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: Ported doorpods?

phantom240 is offline ALL YOUR INTERNETZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ported doorpods?

Well my brand spankin new kenwood comps came in todayand i hooked em up for a bit of fun just to see how they would sound, and these things have some mad excursion for such little speakers, which got me thinking. What if i were to make my doorpods PORTED? That would be fuggin sweet. See I dont have my sub amp on 100% of the time, meaning when i DONT have it on, ill still need a bit of bass comin from my doors. Has anyone ever done this? Lemme know what u guys think.

Quote Originally Posted by 18lexusowner View Post
    If your not a liberal cockbag than it's funny.
    Refs: Lostsoul, DaGh0st, Jadeaudio, mhschiefs806, revrider1, GavinVoy, maximpakt

zachzchw is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Ported doorpods?

I think UndercoverPunk had some ported pods.....he might be able to point you in the right direction.

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Most comps out there are designed to reproduce midbass in an IB configuration...Mount them with a new baffle and deaden the **** out of the doors for the best result...

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

vpkb1998 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast1one View Post
    Most comps out there are designed to reproduce midbass in an IB configuration...Mount them with a new baffle and deaden the **** out of the doors for the best result...
    why do most people have them in sealed kicks?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by vpkb1998 View Post
    why do most people have them in sealed kicks?
    Most people dont have them in sealed kicks, and those who do spend time making sure they will sound good in a sealed app...There are a few comp systems out there that do prefer sealed, which is why you see sealed kicks as well as doorpods The average enthusist doesnt have the time or skills to make kicks, which is why there is an overwhelming amount of IB woofers in the market...

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fast1one View Post
    Most people dont have them in sealed kicks, and those who do spend time making sure they will sound good in a sealed app...There are a few comp systems out there that do prefer sealed, which is why you see sealed kicks as well as doorpods The average enthusist doesnt have the time or skills to make kicks, which is why there is an overwhelming amount of IB woofers in the market...
    With that being said, which one will sound better IYO? Sealed or Ported? Or is it dependant upon the speaker itself?

Quote Originally Posted by xploit2 View Post
    OneKrazyKeebler BEST AVATAR EVER!! OWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
    Refs:
    so long ago, they dont effin count anymore, get over it

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah but heres my dilemma... and you know this as well as i do fast1one.. stock speaker locations on a 240sx's door **** big hairy nads. and deadening it ***** as well. Would you even ATTEMPT to deaden a 240's doors? Me either, so lets talk about making pods on my doorpanels. lol.

Refs: Lostsoul, DaGh0st, Jadeaudio, mhschiefs806, revrider1, GavinVoy, maximpakt

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by OneKrazyKeebler View Post
    With that being said, which one will sound better IYO? Sealed or Ported? Or is it dependant upon the speaker itself?
    Completely speaker dependant...im not an expert, but I know enough that each specific speaker requires its own environment, just as some subs rather be sealed or ported...

And Phantom, I know what you mean, but that seams to be your only option. See if you can find your speaker specifications and maybe you can work with them...you CAN make kicks and still have them in an IB configuration, All you have to do is seal the rear wave from the front wave, The wheel wells would act as the IB environment. Not sure how much room there is in a 240 since I havent worked with them as far as stereos go...explore your options and experiment.

And I would rather cut my fingers up a little and deaden the doors, as i do not have experience in the field of glass...if your good at it, go for it But run them sealed...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I tried doing ported pods last year.

Not worth the trouble IMO. I may try again, but not in the near future.

I'm happy with my GINORMOUS sealed pods for now.

Caraudio.com - Where the average member couldn't wire a SPST toggle if they had to.

More proof.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_as View Post
    I need a program or something that will help me find mounting depth without having to build box and such...
    No, Andy, I'm sure the context is fine.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ginormous + 240sx leg room = no left foot for clutch pedal. I fuggin hate my car. Its a love hate kinda thing. Ill never give er up, but making her into what i want it a BISH. Besides, the openings to get my hands into the door panels are too small for my fat *** hands to do much good. Not enough room to really work around much and i know jack-schit about deadening. On the upper though, im getting some of those second skin speaker pads that someone on the forum posted. Freebies FTW. So infinate baffle ftw? meh. Ill just make some sealed pods... or something. But water killed my last speakers in there (i think) or possibly distortion. gawd im starting to regret loving my 240.

Immacomputer is offline Cloud disappear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

What year 240? I had a 93 SE and it sounded amazing with no deadening at all. I made a baffle for my mids where the stock 4x6s were and everything fit great. I had tons of room left over behind the magnet of my CWM6 mids and they're pretty beefy.

The baffle looks like this:

I miss the sound of them in the 240. I'm in an integra now and I hate the door setup. It's terrible and I don't have time for door pods. I also don't have money for any deadening so my mid bass is really lacking.

azbass is offline the salty ca.com mod

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

mine are some what ported....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just remember, the door pods may have to be big...major cutting will probably be involved...just replace all the whether stripping in on your doors and deaden. Read the sound deadening threads...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immacomputer View Post
    What year 240? I had a 93 SE and it sounded amazing with no deadening at all. I made a baffle for my mids where the stock 4x6s were and everything fit great. I had tons of room left over behind the magnet of my CWM6 mids and they're pretty beefy.

The baffle looks like this:

I miss the sound of them in the 240. I'm in an integra now and I hate the door setup. It's terrible and I don't have time for door pods. I also don't have money for any deadening so my mid bass is really lacking.
    She's a 91. i also made baffles, but the speaker surround and cone had a habit of rubbing against the door panel, which is what im trying to avoid. That and the fact that they were open to the inside of the door and 240s, as you know, arent NEARLY water tight. ... though i do have some plastic rear baffles layin around from my other, hatch cover-mounted 6.5's... hmm... ill have to look into that. Yeah my baffles were mdf, and swelled and split and stuff... no good. I think ill use 1/4" mdf this time. Last time i used 1/2".. Ill try that before going into doorpods.

BTW, i only see 1 screw.. how did u attatch em to the doors?

Immacomputer is offline Cloud disappear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yea, mine actually started to swell up as well about a month after I took mine out. To keep from hitting the door panel, I cut them using a razor and some pliers (the razor put the knotches in and the pliers bent the fiberboard until it broke).

If you use some wood stain and laquer, you can avoid the swelling issues. I did that with my integra.

I used one screw on the underside that you can't see and that held it in place VERY tight and I never had issues with it rattling. The other door, I has to use three though.

Oh, the brown stain on the panel was from a coke that exploded in my car one summer day.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast