Reload Thread: Idea for a fiberglass trick

Cam
    Cam is offline Captain McNutbag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Idea for a fiberglass trick

Anyone tried this? I might give it a try next time I'm f'n around:

On a hot day, you want to mix your resin/hardener hot enough to cure so you can get back at it, but you don't want your sh*t to cure in the bucket while you're still putting it on... so how about putting your resin bucket in an ice bath so it stays cool, so you can take your sweet time applying it, and as it warms up to the temp of whatever you're applying it to, or to air temp, it cures.

You might even be able to do two coats with one batch this way.. I gotta give it a try. Only concern I'd have is condensation forming in the resin bucket.

amedeuce is offline :crap:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Idea for a fiberglass trick

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Anyone tried this? I might give it a try next time I'm f'n around:

On a hot day, you want to mix your resin/hardener hot enough to cure so you can get back at it, but you don't want your sh*t to cure in the bucket while you're still putting it on... so how about putting your resin bucket in an ice bath so it stays cool, so you can take your sweet time applying it, and as it warms up to the temp of whatever you're applying it to, or to air temp, it cures.

You might even be able to do two coats with one batch this way.. I gotta give it a try. Only concern I'd have is condensation forming in the resin bucket.
    IDK if that would work, I dont think hot/cold temp or around the resin/catalyst matters, it's a chemical reaction. I'm not 100% sure though. Just my guess.

References

Sold to jamesdean,jonny101abc,LowLinc,bumpinaintEZ,TurboDu devr4,SVT RELAMPAGO,mk_ ,Burnout956,bonesninja,yenwen,bhsdriller,dalucifer ,BoondockSaints,WillyG4444, alfmoney,btnhfan,dB Dom

Bought From TeamPSI,ace_800, Zxcvtypo,bjfish11,atoz350,timbre-audio,Derrick824, lastcall,eclipsefool,rtillaree,PioneerPimp,6spdcou pe,ctmike,Thieroff

Quote Originally Posted by bumpin buick View Post
    /yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by elmor001 View Post
    I don't think I'm the dumb one here. You just told someone to go divide themself.

H/U Alpine 9887
    Mids Seas ER18RNX
    Tweets LPG 25NFA
    Subs 2 10" Memphis Audio Shallow Mount Subs
    Mids/Tweets Amp Kicker ZX850.4
    Sub Amp Kicker ZX1000.1

Cam

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Temperature has a huge effect on curing times. All resin mixture instructions are temperature dependant - hotter ambient temp means add less MEKP or the ***** will harden too fast and crack.

iamamp3pimp is offline Bass Heads Entertainment

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

i think you'd be better off using less hardner

www.BassHeadsENT.net for all your custom enclosure needs
    Offering build service and expertise in the Tampa area as well as enclosures shipped nationwide!
    Robin@BassHeadsENT.net

Check this thread for all the build logs being posted.
    http://www.caraudio.com/forums/suppo...ks-thread.html

amedeuce is offline :crap:

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Temperature has a huge effect on curing times. All resin mixture instructions are temperature dependant - hotter ambient temp means add less MEKP or the ***** will harden too fast and crack.
    I'll agree on the temp affecting the curing time, but the only way to slow down the hardening effect is to adjust the MEKP/Resin mix. It is a chemical reaction.

References

Sold to jamesdean,jonny101abc,LowLinc,bumpinaintEZ,TurboDu devr4,SVT RELAMPAGO,mk_ ,Burnout956,bonesninja,yenwen,bhsdriller,dalucifer ,BoondockSaints,WillyG4444, alfmoney,btnhfan,dB Dom

Bought From TeamPSI,ace_800, Zxcvtypo,bjfish11,atoz350,timbre-audio,Derrick824, lastcall,eclipsefool,rtillaree,PioneerPimp,6spdcou pe,ctmike,Thieroff

Quote Originally Posted by bumpin buick View Post
    /yourself
    Quote Originally Posted by elmor001 View Post
    I don't think I'm the dumb one here. You just told someone to go divide themself.

H/U Alpine 9887
    Mids Seas ER18RNX
    Tweets LPG 25NFA
    Subs 2 10" Memphis Audio Shallow Mount Subs
    Mids/Tweets Amp Kicker ZX850.4
    Sub Amp Kicker ZX1000.1

Cam

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I know it's a chemical reaction... and as with every other chemical reaction, it requires a minimum activation energy to start each chemical recombination. The lower the amount of energy that is present in the fluid (temperature) the fewer chemical recombinations (molecules polymerizing into chains) will occur per unit time.

Let me put it this way, I know (from using resin at various temperatures) that it will harden faster if it's warmer, and sometimes it's a b!tch to get it to harden at all if it's cold enough where you're working. The only thing I'm not sure of is if you can damage the resin by overcooling it, or if someone's done this and there is an established 'good way' to do it.

Flashy rims on an SUV are like big **** on a fat chick.

Pitchblack98 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've done something simular to this... I've kept resin in the fridge between projects. It does slow the curing time just slightly. Not by much though. Only problem is the resin will cure while its cool, once it starts to warm up the shrinkage sets in. Shrinkage cracks are pretty bad when doing this. They are very small cracks that are hard to notice. Put some load on it and they all of a sudden become large cracks.

Closed Thread