Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: This Box Just Cant Be Right or Is It????????

SmartOJ is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This Box Just Cant Be Right or Is It????????

im going to summarize this into the shortest story az possible. this is my second box ive had built buy this guy since im trying to get away from prefab. the first box i had built was for 2 15's with comp vr speakers in it. I cant deny at all that it absolutely slammed, and when it came to low notes it was something serious. Sounded like i had twice the powere and twice the speakers. He said the box wuz 10 cubes but according to several calculators with just outer dimensions not including port displacement was 8.1 cubic feet. the box was still huge as hell so i decided to downgrade to 12's, have another box made so it can still slam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: This Box Just Cant Be Right or Is It????????

With port it's probably 10.

I'm lazy...

walkychalky is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

what are u gettin @?.....u give no dimensions and the thread has no real question......u **** at life

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i bought 2 audiobahn 1200v 12's off ebay. I know they are audiobahn but hey ive dealt with them before and had no regrets. but anyway once the box was ready and speakers mounted, the subs were hitting hard as hell on high notes. but after trying to play some songs that could show me how low they can get, they blew complete booty. its like when i play low stuff its like lows are non existent, the sub just sounds really nasty when it drops, but it hits like 4 12's when playing non below 50hz or so. so im basically trying to see if i got ripped off? or maybe the box is too small or too big? He tuned the box too high? or is the box ok , but the subs just ****??? and also the 15" box was not built to spec for the vrs, it was just a general box.. I need lots of input, because i dont feel too happy right now.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

no just with the outer dimesions of the whole box was 8.1 cf. if u subtract the port and sub displacement its even less than that.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

heres the box............

Crown_amps is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the subs **** dude a alpine type e is better than a lot [ not all] autobling products which are all show no bass lawl

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The box is constructed of 3/4" mdf.the outer dimensions of the box is 36"W by 14.5"H by 21.75"D.

and for the port its 5 1/2" wide. im not good at describing measurement of ports so ill describe it to the best of my ability. If u think about the inner L-shape that makes the port INSIDE the box it is 15 1/4" from the front of the box then it is 6" after the 90 degree angle. he also told me that the box was tuned to 37hz. so tell me if hes been lying to me, and the 15 box just happened to sound good or should i not return to him.thanks alot guys

jeepintn is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that sounds about right... and dont forget, a lot os 12's, especially cheaper ones *cough cough* just dont have the "low" in em, thats why they're cheap

anyone around nashville who needs an install done pm me

REFERENCES:
    smd4life(x2), scottiej(x3), army killa(x2), mike yayo, showrides, livinlife, pimpedout97x, PILOT 04, krouchchocolate, bigoso, blados, iamamp3pimp, xxxruckaz, joelowrider, CLJ, pesteele, danm7890, CrEaTrE, seth350, saywhat?, pepsifiend69, xxxpower, jadon087, 9512ds, skitzafit, billabongcr, ddeitz, ryanm923, massiveaudiocw, karkrazee96, tuck05, aeon, dcole18, purposesoap, morgans432, path2spl, krisfnbz, hessdawg, haunther, el_chupo_,

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well not to justify for audiobahn i had 2 audiobahn 1500w's and they were dropping in a prefab sealed box. thats the only reason i bought the 12's because ive dealt with them b4 and had no complaints.i have to ball on my own level bcuz right now i just cant see myself spending 4-500 bucks on just subs right now. if I could I would, but i cant so i aint......................

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

ok i provided all the info and getting alot of views but no replies. where did all the box experts go??? and is that box really tuned to 37 of is it higher

PowerNaudio is offline the power of audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SmartOJ View Post
    The box is constructed of 3/4" mdf.the outer dimensions of the box is 36"W by 14.5"H by 21.75"D.

and for the port its 5 1/2" wide. im not good at describing measurement of ports so ill describe it to the best of my ability. If u think about the inner L-shape that makes the port INSIDE the box it is 15 1/4" from the front of the box then it is 6" after the 90 degree angle. he also told me that the box was tuned to 37hz. so tell me if hes been lying to me, and the 15 box just happened to sound good or should i not return to him.thanks alot guys
    results.
    enclosure before displacement = 5.25cuft
    enclosure after displacement = 4.292cuft
    port displacement =.963cuft
    enclosure tuning =39.82Hz

results are aproximations only since i have no idea what your sub displacements are.

i would rather have an enclosure with an F3 of 25Hz, and tuned lower. it would bring the lows allot stronger and louder.

PS: even if the subs where crap they would still put out a decent amount of bass even at lower freqs, what you get with lower end subs. is distortion, lower power handling, and bottoming out. among others. but a well designed enclosure would bring the best out of most crapy subs.
    Last edited by PowerNaudio; 09-01-2006 at 12:54 AM.

AIM:powernaudio,yahoo:powernaudio,email address: powernaudio at gmail.com contact me if you need any help.

Portafolio
    builds
    more builds
    saturn l300 build
    videos

References:Mr.Loki,dubbinjet,trucktoy,fancynapkin, netherland,Datdudedru,hockey1playa33,
    donbon86,PhatTonyDeMar,Saywhat?,vosschs,ChuckKlock er,budlightman361,baseballer1100,elslug,
    bdogg321,projectpat06,eatank,BodegaBay,playboyclic ,cbrrocketrdr,iwanturmags,pboulos,DaBeholder,
    bholtmeier,beatthis27,OldManTod,MTXman,Gianotti.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks for that info. so isnt 2 cubes per sub after displacement still pretty good in general for a ported 12 to get low? and i believe that 15 box wasnt tuned lower than this one. i think he said it was tuned to 37 also. So do we box to the conclusion that the box wasnt right or the subs just cant get the job done. I want to keep this box becuz i dont have the money to get another one made and this one is well constructed. but i can buy different subs eventually if the subs are the culprit.when i play low stuff (30 something hz range) the subs move like crazy but they sound like they cant hang but not distorted and like i have the subsonic filter on but i dont. just want to conclude if its box or subs. and pleas dont bash the sub just becuz its audiobahn. i need real explanations. thanks guys

PowerNaudio is offline the power of audio

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

could you provide the model of the sub youre using that would help to answere the questions youre having.
    that will help find out if your enclosures where modeled around the subs. or did he just use generic values to build you the enclosure. and we can also find out . what the theorical output should be of the sub on the enclosure and farthere troubleshoot. your issue.
    laters

AIM:powernaudio,yahoo:powernaudio,email address: powernaudio at gmail.com contact me if you need any help.

Portafolio
    builds
    more builds
    saturn l300 build
    videos

References:Mr.Loki,dubbinjet,trucktoy,fancynapkin, netherland,Datdudedru,hockey1playa33,
    donbon86,PhatTonyDeMar,Saywhat?,vosschs,ChuckKlock er,budlightman361,baseballer1100,elslug,
    bdogg321,projectpat06,eatank,BodegaBay,playboyclic ,cbrrocketrdr,iwanturmags,pboulos,DaBeholder,
    bholtmeier,beatthis27,OldManTod,MTXman,Gianotti.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

well i can tell u right off the bat that it ws built off generic values and not sub specific. the sub is a audiobahn AW1200V model. and also once u figire everything out could u name some inexpensive but not cheap subs that would perform well with my current box. thanks

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast