Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Fiberglass... but how??

Cam
    Cam is offline Captain McNutbag

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fiberglass... but how??

Okay, here's the scene... I have a ~2.5cuft box, custom, underfloor, sealed. One IDMAX should be arriving next week, and I'd like to install it in this box, but uhh, it's too big. So, since I'm considering going to twin IDMAX's down the road with the same box, what I wanna do is put a divider in the box, so I can just run one sub for now, and have half the box dead. Not tooooooo tough, ja? welllll...

The box is pretty amorphous and weird shaped, so I'll have a real tough time figuring out where the hell to put the divider in it. (o, *****..)

One idea I had was to get 1.2cubic foot of plasticine and cram it in the box, then foberglass over it and peel out the putty... which would work, but YOU try finding a cubic foot of plasticene. What I'm left with it the rather pain in the *** idea of turning the box on it's side, and putting a dummy baffle on 2/3 of it, then filling it with the appropriate volume of sand or something, and fiberglassing over the packed sand (yuck). Anyone got a bright idea?

ramos is offline Still learning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)

Re: Fiberglass... but how??

got any pics ? Would make it a lot easier . But from your description you just want to put a divider in your current glassed enclosure right ? Why not use some cardboard to make a template of all the little curves and such . Get it trimmed up so it fits perfect. Then cut the shape out of mdf.

5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

i3abyjay25 is offline Get F'n Loud

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

cardboard is your friend!!!!!

Fs/t

Orion 2500d
    Orion 4004
    250 amp alt w. external voltage reg. for a ford explorer

Refs: Electrodynsmic, Millerboy, Ugaboiii, Ezekiel81923, Toaster, Team Psi, KickerCivic1, MatrxxDude, TommyK90, Xterra02_Pat

Cam

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll try to grab some pics a bit later today. I could use cardboard for the actual construction - the thing that's got me stuck is where exactly I need to put the divider - I want to have equal volumes on either side of the divider, but there's no way to calculate where to put it with the way the box is (it's shaped like a seriously radiated potato or something).

I also thought maybe using water or sand with the box tilted at an angle to find WHERE the divider should go, and marking it with a sharpie or something, then going with cardboard.

dbornotdb is offline Custom Fabricator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some nice pics and some overall dimensions will help us out.

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than
    the sweetness of that cheap price!

Cam

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'll take pics of it just for giggles, but the problem worked itself out actually... I measured the box several years ago when I made it, but I was cracked out or something, because the mofo is only 1.4 cubes (I measured it last night). Bit o bracing and she ought to be just fine for a single MAX

Closed Thread