Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Mek + Mekp?

Insomniac119 is offline i can't sleep

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mek + Mekp?

Hello,

So I didn't use enough hardener when I was glassing today, and it's still sticky in some spots and even kinda gelly and soft. I heard that to fix this you can mix some hardener (MEKP) and thin it with some acetone and brush it over the problem spots.

The thing is I don't have any acetone at the moment, but I do have some MEK. Could I mix MEK with MEKP? I just thought I'd ask, it might be nothing but I though maybe something weird would happen if I mixed a solvent with it's peroxide. And I don't want to mess up my project.

Thanks for any advice.

58customs is offline KICK! JOE! KICK!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Mek + Mekp?

I did that once. Only I didn't even add MEKP to the resin.

I just mixed more resin with a slightly higher amount of MEKP (like 5%) and brushed it over the entire piece. The resin you add should dry along with what ever is already there.

Hopefully that helps.

Refs: Mr. Loki, woc47, M Dot Holla, krisfnbz

blue93corsica is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i believe mek and mekp have different properties, well mekp actually only has proxide over mek but i believe the resin needs all of the properties, lets see if i can do it, methel-ethel-ketone-proixide is what the reisn requires to properly activate the chemical recation and thus providing the resin to cure

just mix up a really hot mix of resin and mekp and brush it over your project dont worry about acetone, then once its cured go back and grind it back down to remove the additional layer or resin added making sure that it has fully cured underneath

For all your fiberglassing needs, come check out Fiberglassforums.com

nVRuckus is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 58customs
    I did that once. Only I didn't even add MEKP to the resin.

I just mixed more resin with a slightly higher amount of MEKP (like 5%) and brushed it over the entire piece. The resin you add should dry along with what ever is already there.

Hopefully that helps.
    The owner of select products told me that anything over a 4% ratio of MEKP will cause failure in the resin. it will easily break under stress. .

58customs is offline KICK! JOE! KICK!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nVRuckus
    The owner of select products told me that anything over a 4% ratio of MEKP will cause failure in the resin. it will easily break under stress. .
    It all depends on the climate in your area. I've mixed higher ratios in cold weather and it's still taken awhile to set. Never had problems with it cracking or breaking under stress.

Refs: Mr. Loki, woc47, M Dot Holla, krisfnbz

Closed Thread