Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Could i design a box like this?

CJL
    CJL is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Could i design a box like this?

I've seen boxes with flared ports on the side but will a slot port work also?

REFS:
    eatank,mikescanlon,BoominBeast,Pistonsfan70,90accordman,bizflawless,Mazdakid,Boyle465,LiquidClen,dman4486,
    KickerSoItBump, SPY,1000101,infamous_e46

Bought-Sold-Traded

SAG3 is offline ________

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Could i design a box like this?

yes

CJL
    CJL is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Should i make the subs be on the farest part of the box or should i make them be right in front of the port?

REFS:
    eatank,mikescanlon,BoominBeast,Pistonsfan70,90accordman,bizflawless,Mazdakid,Boyle465,LiquidClen,dman4486,
    KickerSoItBump, SPY,1000101,infamous_e46

Bought-Sold-Traded

bimma85 is offline Can't be ****** ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd say on the left, near the port however there are people more qualified to answer your ? than me

REFS:JimJ, DBfan187, jimj, ology audio, excelerater, private pastry, kenny pollock, priosonnumber6, johnnyber, mattmmcs, vosschs, lax916, davidfre21, iceteebone, cd6551, vladd and others that I cant remember off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by snb778
    I feel like when im bumpin once it gets dark....the street lights often go out. I was driving home the other night and like 3 street lights went out in like 15 minutes.
    Does this happen a lot to any of you??
    Also if you have had the twix ice cream......isnt it amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleNTheTrunk
    damn. 8 10"s?........80" of cone area FTW!

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bimma85
    I'd say on the left, near the port however there are people more qualified to answer your ? than me
    Honestly, now I could be wrong, but I dont think it would matter. Either way the movement of the sub is going to have the same affect no matter where its positioned. Its going to move air molecules and they will bump eachother until they reach the only opening in the box (theoretically); The port.

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

Spud2388 is offline "The Spud-n-ator"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is only a thought, but where you have them positioned now, the entire box will not see even pressure because the air the subs move will be able to escape very easily since the port is right behind them. If they are on the left, the pressurized air will have to reflect off the port wall, and make its way to the right side of the box, then escape through the port. So, in my opinion, the subs should be on the left, but I highly dought you will be able to tell a difference where they are, well unless you're Chuck Norris. I wouldn't worry about it too much and just put them where they look best to you.

1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee

Alpine CDA-9857 w/ iPod
    Alpine PXA-H510 (for sale)
    ED NINe.1
    ED NINe.4
    CDT CL-62 (soon to be Rainbow SLC 265 )
    (2) Alpine SWR-1242D (4.5 cuft. @ 32 hz)

helotaxi is offline Kilroy was Here

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Spud2388
    This is only a thought, but where you have them positioned now, the entire box will not see even pressure because the air the subs move will be able to escape very easily since the port is right behind them. If they are on the left, the pressurized air will have to reflect off the port wall, and make its way to the right side of the box, then escape through the port. So, in my opinion, the subs should be on the left, but I highly dought you will be able to tell a difference where they are, well unless you're Chuck Norris. I wouldn't worry about it too much and just put them where they look best to you.
    It doesn't work that way. In a relatively small air volume, pressure does not localize or reflect. It is a very uniform increase and reduction in pressure throughout the airspace in the box. If it wasn't there would be no point in trying to model an enclosure generically. The shape of the inside of the enclosure and the sub and port opening location within the enclosure would have more influence on the response and tuning than the volume of air in the box. That isn't the case because that isn't how it works.

Artificial Intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers.

Life's tough...it's even tougher when you're stupid.

Fast1one is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by helotaxi
    It doesn't work that way. In a relatively small air volume, pressure does not localize or reflect. It is a very uniform increase and reduction in pressure throughout the airspace in the box. If it wasn't there would be no point in trying to model an enclosure generically. The shape of the inside of the enclosure and the sub and port opening location within the enclosure would have more influence on the response and tuning than the volume of air in the box. That isn't the case because that isn't how it works.
    The point that I was trying to get across...better description from your part

References: Lax916, AcidicDreams , Altima98 , mr Tibbs, Majette, giantgloworm, mattmcss, riogigalo, mysilver02alty, Woc47, Hintzyboy, oglejust, APitBullT, foreman, jhubbell, tmcilroy, pioneerpimp, Dre_ATL

Plus a ton more I never added, lol. If you are not on the list and you had a pleasant transaction with me, PM me!!!

Closed Thread