Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Blown glass flared ports

joeldirt is offline Integrity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Blown glass flared ports

Working on a project with blown glass flared ports that will be illuminated with leds... They will be inside out blown about 1/4" thick hard pyrex. Imagine the sickest blown glass pipe and translate it to ports... 3/4" acrylic face on the enclosure black or graphite laminate interior, maybe black carpet... With Solid glass rod bracing...

answers to concerns... No the glass will not resonate I have already proven this on a test.

2nd the glass will not break, crack shatter or anything else... IT is as much or more beefy then standard PVC tube ports.

cost each will be about 75 bucks per port...

pics will come in about a month or so, but I wanted to discuss the issue here just fo the hll of it. Let me know what you think of the concept.

Beat_Dominator is offline Yea, thats Mecha Godzilla

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Blown glass flared ports

Hmm, interesting plan......

Comming Spring 2009

I make rear-loaded, double crabshell, isobaric enclosures.

project f-150 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I was going to ask about strength but looks like you already answered that. cant wait to see it!!

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

boooooo with no pics. on the idea i dunno it sounds awesome but at 75 bucks per port plus the cost of the rest of the box, you're talking a **** load of $ for a box. it could look good but at the same time, it could end up looking funky.

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

heyman421 is offline Veteran Camel Master

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

are they colorchanging?

Beat_Dominator is offline Yea, thats Mecha Godzilla

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Glass can be extremely strong, it'll just be the weight, cost, and mounting that'll be tough.

Comming Spring 2009

I make rear-loaded, double crabshell, isobaric enclosures.

PatFitz9 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sounds like a slick idea, but mounting glass to wood securly might be tough.

refs...
    twoohfour, PRIVATEpastry, hellomota, DBfan187, etznova, iamamp3pimp, btnhfan, XylerB, Digital B, Showrides, Thunder9500, Termlab, fawd06, PepsiFiend69, bholtmeier, Megalomaniac, bjfish11, j3bus2k3, probmxstyle, brigante, massiveaudiocw, JoeHemi57, BigRed98Ram, inapontiac, CFaber, VarsityBumper, 3.5Max6spd, Geezerpoop, phatcat600, Pimpdaddyq, XaznKewLguyX, ABSOLUTEAUDIO, lslugz, mgbcs, TeZ, mazdakid, Reson8, LaserRed38

nferra2 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

They do it all the time in buidling custom aquariums with silicone. I think it'll be fine.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nferra2
    They do it all the time in buidling custom aquariums with silicone. I think it'll be fine.
    I actually have a similar solution... I'll get picks when I get it all done... I just wanted to throw it out there to get a feel for what this forum would give on feed back whether it would be logical or not... It wouldnt be a production model, it would be as an option for someone to want something sick and unique... The colors don't necesarily change, but there would be nothing about it other then one of a kind and unique only to JDAudiobox... Finally got the shop and slowly getting more operational... THe local market is getting utilized for sure... Looking forward to doing the internet business... Will get allot of pics within a month or two... Alls I am now is this guy without a camera doing all this **** and no way to comunicate with visual aid... That hurts for sure and I apologize for that... No worries though.

Bolognablake is offline Redefining body roll

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Spending $200 on a decent digital camera is worth-while business investment.

1996 Jeep Cherokee 4x4 2-Door
    4.0L I6 | AX15 5-Speed | NP231 TC | 2" RE BB | 31" Bridgestone Dueler M/T | Trimming

2006 Chevy Trailblazer EXT
    4.2L I6 l Auto l 2WD l Stock
    Facebook

bumpin_blazer is offline Only the Strong Survive

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

man if i spent 200 on my girls digi cam she'd throw it on the floor and drive over it lol. i think i spent close to 4g's for hers.

2006 Bright Island Blue 6s: stock 6 disc in dash, Hertz Hi-Energy 6.5" comps, MB Quart Ref 12", eclipse 5-channel sub amp.

Car mods: Lowered on Mazdaspeed springs with Koni Yellow shocks, Racing beat front/rear sway bars with AWR end links, LED turn signals, tail lights, front side markers, 18" ADR Cypher rims, 55w HID's in low beam and fogs, 5% tint all the way around. No go fast mods yet...tuning and Mazda6 don't go well together .

Steve a.k.a. ss3079: So this one lady goes, "These ignorant people who drive around blasting there music, they cant hear emergency vehicles"
    So that set me off, and I said "Well then why do they let deaf people drive?"

AOL: JmKeenen

PV Audio is offline The Vision of Sound

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Except........those aquariums that you're talking about are made of acrylic and aren't being fastened to wood.

Keep us updated Joel, I don't know where the *** you get your ideas from

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PV Audio
    Except........those aquariums that you're talking about are made of acrylic and aren't being fastened to wood.

Keep us updated Joel, I don't know where the *** you get your ideas from

I don't know I'm a nut case at times... I just found out I got adult add... While I'm at work suposed to be building a receptionist desk, I am off day dreaming about blown glass ports being as though glass blowing is my newest thing... I haven't learned how to do it yet my self, but my friend has been blowing for his own business for over 10 years and is going to set me up in a booth to do some random **** for him, and I can do my own **** too...

Actually... It's hard to explain how I am going to be making the mounting flange for the glass... The glass is going to be formed into a mold at one end of the flared port so that it exactly matches the flange on the 1 1/2" upper wall of the enclosure... These boxes will be double walled if allowable, and used with high end high powered subwoofers... Not your every day enclosure with these... The cost of glass, torch time, and overall labor... along with the only box builder thus far with this out on the market coupled with LED's... bla bla bla... worthless without pics... I wasn't trying to show the work though... Just discuss the concept.

I would like to get a nice camera... Trying to save for a down payment on a new CNC, and just getting into a new shop kind of hinders the abilities to just get what ever I want. Maybe a 200 dollar job will work...
    Last edited by joeldirt; 07-01-2006 at 10:18 AM.

MrSector9 is offline Sparkomatic Rep.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bumpin_blazer
    man if i spent 200 on my girls digi cam she'd throw it on the floor and drive over it lol. i think i spent close to 4g's for hers.

what is it?

References - swc204, DiabaseM (carstereos.org), ckyskater733
    NOODPOOPLER IS A PIECE OF LIE'ING BOTTOM FEEDER CRAP

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I actually use the same adhesive used in joining Corian... I use black... Black pigmented resin will work well also you have over 3 inches of glue surface. They don't move, and you have to really try to pry them off of the flange... They don't just come out. Once they are in there, they are in there for good.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast