Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Box building question.

Demi is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Box building question.

Alright im building a box for my 3 10" type Rs. Ive heard that 1 cubic feet per sub is ideal for a sealed box. What kind of wood am i looking for? Also whats the best way to cut the sub holes to get them as round as possible? And thirdly are the sub holes exactly ten inches or do i need to measure?

tRiGgEr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Box building question.

Use 3/4" MDF for the wood. Cutting the holes can be done a number of ways. Basic jigsaw, router, roto zip... The sub is 10" you cut a 10" hole and it will drop in to your box. Look for the cutout dimensions. That will be the size the hole needs to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydoo View Post
    Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!
    Irony?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. Irony indeed.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tRiGgEr
    Use 3/4" MDF for the wood. Cutting the holes can be done a number of ways. Basic jigsaw, router, roto zip... The sub is 10" you cut a 10" hole and it will drop in to your box. Look for the cutout dimensions. That will be the size the hole needs to be.
    What is mdf?

ravendarat is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Medium Density Fiberboard. Go to Home depot or where ever and pick it up. Its easy to find

VTEC is for people that want a fast and economical shopping cart

James Bang is offline Hand/Ear Coordination

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

the cutout should be 9.1" diameter for your 10" sub. domeski.. i see you.

leon is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My 12" type-r each have .8 ft^3. I'm building roughly to alpine's recommendations so you could go smaller if you want.

Get good glue. I used powergrab, but most people like liquid nails (basically the same as powergrab) or elmers. POUR IT ON. You want to put enough so the glue will squeeze out of the joints. Use a lot of clamps and screws. Pre-drill every screw and counter-sink them. You can seal the inside corners with silicon to ensure the box is airtight.

I used a router with a circle jig for the sub cutouts. A perfect, smooth cut every time. I had to do it four times because I double-stacked the front panel and my router bit wasn't 1.5" long. For the terminal cups, use a forsner (sp?) bit. Very nice and very clean cut for a small size.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc
    Did your Hype R's come with a template? I like kickers because they come with a template for cutting the hole.... makes it a lot easier to get the right size. I just use MDF and a jigsaw to cut the holed. 1 cf ought to be plenty of airspace for 10's.
    You know, i dont remeber, but i just order my 3rd one last night so i suppose i will see.

Thanks for all the help guys. Ill see what i can find.

tRiGgEr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by leon
    Get good glue. I used powergrab, but most people like liquid nails (basically the same as powergrab) or elmers. POUR IT ON. You want to put enough so the glue will squeeze out of the joints. Use a lot of clamps and screws. Pre-drill every screw and counter-sink them. You can seal the inside corners with silicon to ensure the box is airtight.
    Umm no. Do not use liquid nails. Use a WOOD GLUE. And don't POUR IT ON. If your cuts are correct only a small bead of glue is needed. You don't need it pouring out of the seams. And don't use a lot of screws, one every 3-4 inches is ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydoo View Post
    Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!
    Irony?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. Irony indeed.

Kagymp5 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tRiGgEr
    Umm no. Do not use liquid nails. Use a WOOD GLUE. And don't POUR IT ON. If your cuts are correct only a small bead of glue is needed. You don't need it pouring out of the seams. And don't use a lot of screws, one every 3-4 inches is ideal.
    Thats correct anything more is just a waste and a bigger mess to clean up.
    When working with woodglues less is infinately better

if she wants it that bad. hit it from the front, shove a broom handle up her ***, and shove your fist down her throat and yell "TAKE IT ALL *****!"

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg View Post
    I find it funny how sometimes fat girls wear a pushup bra to squish their big fat tittys in your face then they take it off and their ******* a pointing straight down like cow udders

Ref's: PepsiFiend69, matt_martin87, negativezeroz, dB Dom

Closed Thread