Closed Thread
Results 1 to 4 of 4

Reload Thread: Do I have my stuff straight

  1. #1
    Flipx99's Avatar
    Flipx99 is offline Violator of Terms



    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Building 100
    Posts
    23,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Do I have my stuff straight

    I have tried building boxes using bbp 6 and either I am idiot or something because they don't come out correct. I am trying to construct a box for my friends two L7 15s and I want to be sure my thoughts are indeed facts

    a) you tune the box, not the subs

    b) you make the box bigger to account for the sub displacement. Ie a box that held two subs that displaced .5 cf would have to be acutually build 1 cf bigger. For instance, if you wanted 2.5 cf per sub, you would make the box 6 cf to account for this used area.

    This is actually a question:

    1) Do port length calculators, such as the one for precision ports take into account the displacement of the port. The port does displace some area, correct. And that area would affect the volume of the box and therefore affect port length tuning. If it does not, I would have to make the box bigger correct?

    2) What is the displacement of a 2006 L7. I learned through the sticky it is Sd x Xmax, neither which are published in the manual.

    Thanks,

    Josh




    Black cat, white cat...all that matters is that it catches mice. -Deng Xiaoing


    I do homework for money. I specialize in finance. PM me for estimates.

    If someone uses me as a reference, please contact me first.




  2. #2
    tRiGgEr's Avatar
    tRiGgEr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Age
    32
    Posts
    12,794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I have my stuff straight

    Quote Originally Posted by Flipx99
    a) you tune the box, not the subs

    b) you make the box bigger to account for the sub displacement. Ie a box that held two subs that displaced .5 cf would have to be acutually build 1 cf bigger. For instance, if you wanted 2.5 cf per sub, you would make the box 6 cf to account for this used area.

    This is actually a question:

    1) Do port length calculators, such as the one for precision ports take into account the displacement of the port. The port does displace some area, correct. And that area would affect the volume of the box and therefore affect port length tuning. If it does not, I would have to make the box bigger correct?

    2) What is the displacement of a 2006 L7. I learned through the sticky it is Sd x Xmax, neither which are published in the manual.

    Thanks,

    Josh
    A.) Correct
    B.) Correct, if each sub displaced .5ft^3 you would make a 6ft^3 box to get a net volume of 5ft^3. But you also have to account for port displacement...
    1.) No it does not calculate port displacement for you. Yes the port displaces internal volume. Net volume is the enclosures internal volume after you deduct the driver and port displacement. You tune with the NET volume. So you need to deduct both port and driver displacement before calculating the tuning.
    2.) Sd x Xmax = Vd not displacement. Vd is the peak diaphragm displacement volume . How much air the cone will move.

    You find the driver displacement from the manufacturer. 0.09ft^3

    Edit - I'm assuming you have 12's...



    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydoo View Post
    Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!
    Irony?

    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. Irony indeed.

  3. #3
    Flipx99's Avatar
    Flipx99 is offline Violator of Terms

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Building 100
    Posts
    23,971
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Do I have my stuff straight

    Quote Originally Posted by tRiGgEr
    A.) Correct
    B.) Correct, if each sub displaced .5ft^3 you would make a 6ft^3 box to get a net volume of 5ft^3. But you also have to account for port displacement...
    1.) No it does not calculate port displacement for you. Yes the port displaces internal volume. Net volume is the enclosures internal volume after you deduct the driver and port displacement. You tune with the NET volume. [bold]So you need to deduct both port and driver displacement before calculating the tuning.[/bold]
    2.) Sd x Xmax = Vd not displacement. Vd is the peak diaphragm displacement volume . How much air the cone will move.

    You find the driver displacement from the manufacturer. 0.09ft^3

    Edit - I'm assuming you have 12's...

    Not mine, but they are 15s.


    As for the bolded part: you tune to net and port length is determined by net box size. Would you say you increase the box size afterwards to include net.


    For instance:

    I want each sub to have 5 cf so:

    a) I start with 10 cf (5 cf per sub)
    b) then add .16 * 2 = .32
    c) then add .305 (volume of each port*4 [four ports])

    So the actual box volume I will need to make the dimension to is :10.625 cf
    Last edited by Flipx99; 06-28-2006 at 01:34 PM.




    Black cat, white cat...all that matters is that it catches mice. -Deng Xiaoing


    I do homework for money. I specialize in finance. PM me for estimates.

    If someone uses me as a reference, please contact me first.

  4. #4
    tRiGgEr's Avatar
    tRiGgEr is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    San Diego, Ca
    Age
    32
    Posts
    12,794
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Do I have my stuff straight

    Quote Originally Posted by Flipx99
    Not mine, but they are 15s.

    As for the bolded part: you tune to net and port length is determined by net box size. Would you say you increase the box size afterwards to include net.

    For instance:

    I want each sub to have 5 cf so:

    a) I start with 10 cf (5 cf per sub)
    b) then add .16 * 2 = .32
    c) then add .305 (volume of each port*4 [four ports])

    So the actual box volume I will need to make the dimension to is :10.625 cf
    That is correct. You are getting the hang of it



    Quote Originally Posted by Scoobydoo View Post
    Before poking fun at others at least learn to spell. I won't go into all the gammar mistakes!
    Irony?

    Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Your sig... Im trying to figure out if you think he spelled grammar wrong. Because, he didn't. Irony indeed.

Closed Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum