Closed Thread

Reload Thread: please help me out?

hottieb99 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

please help me out?

Hi
    I am new on the forum and I have a couple of questions for school. I am doing a report on the advantages of ported sealed and band pass boxes but I need to know the simple definitions of
    what a dbl is
    what a subwoofer does and why do we prefer to have them
    what is a hertz
    what is watts
    can someone please help me out? I would greatly appreciate it. I don't want to keep asking my boyfriend for everything, I just don't want to frustrate him
    thank you so much

mykeys is offline URABUS

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    DB = decibels it is the standard means of measuring how loud something is..airplanes..stereos etc.etc

A subwoofer is a speaker (transducer) that plays frequencies lower than most musical instruments or voices can go.. Lower harmonics... If that doesnt help ask the schools music teacher or band instructor..

Hertz = is the measurement of frequencies low numbers like 25 hertz would be played by a subwoofer.. 15000 hertz would in the range of a tweeter.

Watts is a means of measuring electrical power..A library would have better explanations than I can give you.. I know the how and why but explaining it would just confuse you..at least coming from my fingers.

As for the differences in enclosures there are pros and cons for all of them.
    Sealed.. Is generaly very tight and accurate but lacks in the lower frequencies.

Ported is louder and will play lower than a sealed encl. but also isn't as accurate and uses a larger enclosure.

Aperiodic enclosures Use small enclosures like a sealed but with a thin mmbrane that resists the movement of air from the speaker. Most often you need a specific size of the aperiodic material for a given enclosure size...anyway it give you tighter bass than ported but also plays lower than a sealed.

Bandpass enclosures are basically a hybrid.. both ported and sealed simultaneously..They are more sensitive to wattage ( less power to creae the same volume) The downside is that they have a very narrow frequency response..

Anyway hope this helps some..let me know how the report comes out.
    Mike

Your friendly neighborhood subaru freak!

Wonderbread is offline Against Avatar Theft

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    http://www.eatel.net/~amptech/elecdisc/caraudio.htm

go there, read it, and you will soon know more than most of the people on this site

MSN - pnenis@hotmail.com
    Add me if you have any questions!
    Quote Originally Posted by PT Teal
    I woke up one morning and found a cop at my door telling me he found my car on fire in the middle of the desert.
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerupper View Post
    Some people have told me that the chrome reflects sunlight, therefore the amp doesn't get as hot as others. Is this true?

Closed Thread