Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Box done wrong or what to do?

Subz is offline The Shallow Type

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Box done wrong or what to do?

My single 12's box volume recommendations called for .5-1.0 cu. sealed (same ported actually). The manufacturer states that for best performance on sealed or ported a .8cu. airspace would be best.

Trying to get as close to .8 as I could while still allowing the box to fit, I got to around .71cu. Yet another thing the manufacturer suggested sound dampening material to go inside a box. For dampening I used the foam stuff you can buy for a bed matress for like $10 for a 4x6' piece or something and stapled that to the inside of the box. I did this on all internal sides so my question is:

Should I have kept the bigger airspace, and left out the dampening, or is sacrificing some airspace for good dampening a better choice? I'm looking for as loud as possible considering the box itself.

And specs say at .8cu to go ported I need a 3" dia port at 8" long. Since my box is not .8cu exactly especially after the dampening and sub displacement, how can I find out exactly what the dimensions of the port need to be if I decide to port the box?

#1 Thanks for taking the time to read that, and #2 thanks for all the help/replies.

Ride: '87 Toyota Pickup Reg. Cab 4wd

HU: Pioneer DEH3700
    XM Receiver: Delphi Roady2
    Fronts: Pioneer 4" In Dash
    Rears: Pioneer 6x9's In Q-Logics
    Sub: Pioneer TS Shallow 12" Custom .7CuFt Box
    Amp: Profile AP400 EFX Wiring

squeak12 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Box done wrong or what to do?

Yeah, I just added you.

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

use polyfill

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

jujumantb is offline Duke of Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that foam stuff will likely "increase" the volume, not decrease it. Also, .7 is TINY for a ported box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subz
    My single 12's box volume recommendations called for .5-1.0 cu. sealed (same ported actually). The manufacturer states that for best performance on sealed or ported a .8cu. airspace would be best.

Trying to get as close to .8 as I could while still allowing the box to fit, I got to around .71cu. Yet another thing the manufacturer suggested sound dampening material to go inside a box. For dampening I used the foam stuff you can buy for a bed matress for like $10 for a 4x6' piece or something and stapled that to the inside of the box. I did this on all internal sides so my question is:

Should I have kept the bigger airspace, and left out the dampening, or is sacrificing some airspace for good dampening a better choice? I'm looking for as loud as possible considering the box itself.

And specs say at .8cu to go ported I need a 3" dia port at 8" long. Since my box is not .8cu exactly especially after the dampening and sub displacement, how can I find out exactly what the dimensions of the port need to be if I decide to port the box?

#1 Thanks for taking the time to read that, and #2 thanks for all the help/replies.
    .71 with some polyfill will be good. You wont notice much of a difference between the two.

For the port... it will still be a 3" diameter, but smaller box means that the 8" will need to be longer to keep the same tuning. If you dont mind it being tuned higher dont worry about it and keep it at 8"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jujumantb
    that foam stuff will likely "increase" the volume, not decrease it. Also, .7 is TINY for a ported box.
    I agree completely but...

The vented box sizes recommended by Pioneer range from 0.5 cu/ft to 1.0 cu/ft. Within this range, the ideal size recommended by Pioneer is 0.8 cu/ft, so this is the enclosure recommended by Crutchfield. One 3" diameter x 8" long port should be used with a 0.8 cu/ft enclosure.
    And no, I don't judge my boxes by what Crutchfield says... I was just using that as an example to show what was said for the specs.

Also, thanks for that jntar.

jujumantb is offline Duke of Earl

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Subz
    I agree completely but...

And no, I judge my boxes by what Crutchfield says... I was just using that as an example to show what was said for the specs.
    Also understand that manufacturer's box recommendations are usually not optimal for performance. They almost always suggest a smaller box to appeal to uninformed people who dont want to have a huge box in their trunk. As with so many things in the car audio game, its alot of marketting gimmick.

Closed Thread