Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 8 inch mids in 92' Civic Doors? Impossible or not?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon32 8 inch mids in 92' Civic Doors? Impossible or not?

I have a 92' Honda Civic Sedan. Looking to put some 8 inch mids in the doors. Is this even possible? My idea is to find somone who knows fiberglass, and have some cutom panels built. Even then I dont know if they will fit due to the deptness of the drivers. That is, without having them sitting in your lap when you close the doors. I'm assuming that more than a few people on this forum have dealt with these cars, as they are fairly popular on the mod scene. If you look at any 92-95 civic 4 door you should have a better idea of what i'm up against. I'll post some pictures of the panels and the inner door skin soon. Anyone have any suggestions or ideas?

Current project:
    -Premier 880prs
    -Front Stage: Dayton Reference series 8' midbass, tweeters.
    -Front Amp: RF851x 4ch
    -1 15" PG Titanium Sub in custom sealed box
    -Sub Amp: Orion 1200D or ED NiNe.1
    -Full Sound Deadening
    Last edited by PollyCranopolis; 05-31-2006 at 04:17 PM. Reason: more descriptive title

sampson is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 8 inch mids in 92' Civic Doors? Impossible or not?

Any room down by the feet in the door or does it have to be up in there lap? Fiberglass would definately be the way to go with this one, no question about it. If I knew anyone with that car around here I'd offer to do it myself, but I don't so I can't help personally. But yeah just depends on what 8's you go with and pics would really help out in determining if it could be done or not. Could you put them in the kick panels, maybe avoiding the problem of having the 8 in the persons lap?

Refrences:
    EFFENDI, rc10mike, BodegaBay, fosgate140, Snebes, badazzDD, NikosBuddy, toaster, blackgeltabs, ax600,ruckus, 954runner, redderthanafeut, dracul, RFmustang, lilpnoybreaker, repo24, Bigrick31, BlkMica 03, Strecker25, Davesexplorer, nmehta211, Ivoryblade, wj94, GTO Zeta, suckit, Juanderosa, bibby, tweet02, NoLimit, nismos14, JessAlba452, kasimo420, hoxie08, busabob, konechiwa, Silvercoupex, Integra2468, audiofreak, Andrew_as, JamesKarr,
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?p=2761025#post2761025
    http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showth...hlight=sampson
    http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showth...hlight=sampson
    http://forums.caraudio.com/vb/showth...282#post933282

req
    req is offline am a mod.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

you are going to need to take pictures of the innards of the doors and how much money you are interested in spending on 8's - and what you want them to do. if you have an active crossover and all kinds of crap, first you need to have a solid idea of what mids you want to use, what crossover you are going to use, and how much modification you want to do.

ill say yes, ive done it before. kinda lol.

i never finished the project because the car had an accident and i downgraded to 6.5" mids.

mikey060 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nothing is impossible

pwnt by pat is offline Pat for Prez 2024 - vote!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Fitting SMALL 8's (beals bros) behind the stock door skin in a Toyota Matrix is impossible.

carputer - h701 - c701 - dynaudio mw170s - si mag 15 - ss rubicon 604 x2 - ss rubicon 1002

coming soon:
    seas w15cy - alpine spx177r tweeters

PollyCranopolis is offline Bees!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Heres some pics of the outside followed by some links to the speakers i'm generally thinking about. No metal pics yet as I don't feel like ripping the panels off after a long day of work. I can tell you that underneath, the metal is pretty much flat all the way across. The holes for the 6 1/2's barely fit the magnet, and already have a baffle built over them for dept. The only other holes are located high up and back, by the door lock. Going active, so the crossover will be taken care of at the deck, with a Premier 880 running to a beefy RF 4 channel. As far as speakers, looking for excellent loud SQ overall,(thats the whole point) with strong midbass throughout. My SPL days are over.

Mids: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=295-366

Tweets: http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=275-130

Keep in mind the Dayton mids are available in 7 and 6 inch models as well.

Current project:
    -Premier 880prs
    -Front Stage: Dayton Reference series 8' midbass, tweeters.?
    -Front Amp: RF851x 4ch
    -1 15" PG Titanium Sub in custom sealed box
    -Sub Amp: Orion 1200D or ED NiNe.1?
    -Full Sound Deadening

bimma85 is offline Can't be ****** ;)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If you're having custom panels made, I dont see what the problem is. If you are still worried about depth...the kicker rmb8 is pretty dam shallow

REFS:JimJ, DBfan187, jimj, ology audio, excelerater, private pastry, kenny pollock, priosonnumber6, johnnyber, mattmmcs, vosschs, lax916, davidfre21, iceteebone, cd6551, vladd and others that I cant remember off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by snb778
    I feel like when im bumpin once it gets dark....the street lights often go out. I was driving home the other night and like 3 street lights went out in like 15 minutes.
    Does this happen a lot to any of you??
    Also if you have had the twix ice cream......isnt it amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by RumbleNTheTrunk
    damn. 8 10"s?........80" of cone area FTW!

Skip01 is offline Diggy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Yeh if you get custom panels i dont see a prob.
    But i have the same exact car and had trouble getting in 6.5 Bostons.
    Annoyed me since the factory is 6.5.

thadman is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

You're going to regret installing 8s in your doors, due to the fact that the 8s will be incredibly strained trying to blend with the tweeters.

If you dont care about midrange though, then

The Peerless XLS 8 is a far better midbass driver than the Dayton 8, if you havent already purchased the drivers.

It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong. - Richard Feynman

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

If i could find a guy locally to do it for maybe a couple hundred or less a panel I would be thrilled. I'm not willing to dump $500+ into panels though. The whole cars only worth about $1000. The equipment can be transplanted.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Any drivers with a good range of both? Going with a little advice from everyone here, including this post from Jaredl:

"You'll want to change basically everything from that setup. First, you probably won't want rear fill for an SQ setup. You'll also want components that keep up with your subs.

If your subs are in the trunk, you will need to cross them below 60-70hz to prevent localization and keep bass up front. A sub like the Ascendant Audio Arsenal should give you great sound at an affordable price, I wouldn't buy more than two for an SQ setup.

I would suggest a 2-way to start, since a 3-way is much more complicated and expensive. You will want a midrange speaker capable of playing down to 60hz or so, which will probably be 7" or 8". If you want to use cheaper speakers, Dayton Reference (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=295-374) would be a good choice. If you choose to spend more, Seas Excel or Scanspeak Revelator are some of the best drivers around. If you run a 2-way setup, the Dayton Reference will work well with the Dayton Reference large-format tweeter, the RS28A (http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...umber=275-130). The Dayton Reference 7" and RS28 should work well together, and only cost around $160 for the set."

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...ange+sound+car

dbornotdb is offline Custom Fabricator

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I don't see a problem fitting 8's in there.

Bring it on down and I'll do it for $175 a panel. And while you are down here, I'll fix those dents in your door. }-]

The bitter after-taste of a poor quality job will last far longer than
    the sweetness of that cheap price!

Closed Thread