Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Buying MDF tonight but can't decide between two of Moe Lesters slot port boxes

Phreaker is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Buying MDF tonight but can't decide between two of Moe Lesters slot port boxes

Well I am going to go to Home Depot tonight to get a sheet of 3/4" thick MDF to build a ported box for my two 12" 2005 Alpine Type R's powered by a Lanzar OPTI2000D at 1 ohm.

I'll have them do the cuts for me just becuase I don't have access to any saws and a buddy of mine is going to cut the circles for the speaker baffle.

I am stuck between two of Moe Lesters Slotport boxes for my Type R's.

Would the 4 cubes tuned to 35Hz wang or would I get a more noticable difference in SPL output with the 5^3 tuned to 34Hz?

Box 1: http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?im...z50sqin5bn.png

Box 2: http://img35.imageshack.us/my.php?im...z75sqin1us.png

Ingleside is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Buying MDF tonight but can't decide between two of Moe Lesters slot port boxes

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Buying MDF tonight but can't decide between two of Moe Lesters slot port boxes

Whoops,forgot I had posted this before LOL.

How big a of a difference would there be between the 4 cubes at 35 and the 5 cubes at 34Hz?

I think I might do the 4 cubes at 35Hz just becuase it seems a bit easier and no bracing where as the 5 cubes would need it.

Do you think I'll have a problem using that box while powering the Type R's with one Lanzar OPTI2000D at 1 ohm?

xpl0it is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'd even go 36hz to be honest. I heard a similar setup except the box was bigger, going from 32hz to 37hz made a huuuge difference.

springy101 is offline village idiot/racist

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i think you should do 5 cubes, 2ft3 is alright for a type r but you could go bigger

I must follow in eugenics' footsteps, for he is great

Ref's: Ebay

VOA_NIGHTMARE, Blados, frankga2, allenzo, bamaboy x2, Crown_amps, violentrapture, adio x3, bumpin_blazer, fi car audio, haunther, sbcaprice305 x2

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

How would I go about tuning higher,would I just make the port wall shorter or something or just wider?

Is 40Hz not musical at all and would my low ends ****?I listen to alot of Lil jon,36 Mafia,Dem Franchize Boys,Pual Wall, a couple ICP tracks....

Is 37Hz as high as I would want to go?I am after more SPL then SQ but don't want to sound like azzhole or anything.

swimfreak26 is offline I am cool

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I personally dislike anything over 35Hz for tuning.

~29 is optimal for my tastes, I can handle 35, but going higher I think is a huge mistake. SQ is all subjective though, so take my opinion for what it's worth.

Fuc, how come when I copy and paste **** it never gives me the cool blue thing in my sig. Sonofa*****withhotredtabascosauceonmynutz!!!!!
    References: g30ffr3y,Cjjackson85,Pearldrummer, Rattlebrain, Harrison486, excelerater, ax600, XtrmAudioCncpts

j3bus2k3 is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

35-36 is about 60-40, maybe 70-30 mix of SPL-SQ...If you need help I'm local and more than willing to help. Didnt you want help with big-3 wiring too?

AIM: SPL Performance1
    /////Alpine 9835
    Active Processing via Coustic XM7
    Dayton 7" Mid-woofer with Seas Neo Tweet
    JBL/Crown 1100 & Power 300.4
    12" TC3000 Based Custom in 2.25ft^3 at 32hz

Wallet say But I say

References:Moe Lester, PV Audio, sss18734, DJ-Torn, dleccord, jiggy2dmax, Negativezeroz, Bama350z, TeamPSI, dB Dom, Kenny Pollock, Flossinon24s, Patfitz9 (x2), AppleBonker, BassAddictJ, the727kid, skadude016, CaliKid, Thumper88, Djman37, TeamQuakeCelica, Cerob, Pimpedout97x, Troy_Audi0, got_focus?, Karleon, Jamaica2G, rtillare, dumple, JohnnyBusa, mattmcss, whitem1ke88, nineball

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by j3bus2k3
    35-36 is about 60-40, maybe 70-30 mix of SPL-SQ...If you need help I'm local and more than willing to help. Didnt you want help with big-3 wiring too?

Actually I have figured how to do the big 3 on my own and that will be getting done next week or so.

What do you think of the 4 cubes at 35 Hz?

I think That's what I am going to do for right now and it will only cost me the sheet of MDF to mke a bigger one.

If I wanted to tune higher to say 40Hz the what would I have to do to the port on that 4ft^3 box?Would I have to add any bracing?

If I do go with the 5ft^3 tuned to 34 Hz what would I have to do to tune higher to like 37-40Hz and on that box there is supposed to be a brace in the back corner,what should I use for bracing?

j3bus2k3 is offline Si vis pacem, para bellum

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well....bigger and higher tuned would probably get you louder. 5ft^3 net at maybe 38Hz would be insane. With a given tuning frequency say 34 for example, to tune it higher you'd have to take out some port length. I'd say with both boxes, bracing would NOT hurt at all. Corner brace it, frame brace it or hell, use some threaded rod. You could also look at the idea of chambering them. In doing that the middle divider for the port and the second port wall would act as the brace. I can do the design for you if you want and give you all the necessary numbers for the chambered design. If you want the loudest, 5ft^3 net at anywhere from 37-40. For SQL, I personally would do 4ft^3 tuned no higher than 34hz. Let me know man. You need to come out to the meet, too

AIM: SPL Performance1
    /////Alpine 9835
    Active Processing via Coustic XM7
    Dayton 7" Mid-woofer with Seas Neo Tweet
    JBL/Crown 1100 & Power 300.4
    12" TC3000 Based Custom in 2.25ft^3 at 32hz

Wallet say But I say

References:Moe Lester, PV Audio, sss18734, DJ-Torn, dleccord, jiggy2dmax, Negativezeroz, Bama350z, TeamPSI, dB Dom, Kenny Pollock, Flossinon24s, Patfitz9 (x2), AppleBonker, BassAddictJ, the727kid, skadude016, CaliKid, Thumper88, Djman37, TeamQuakeCelica, Cerob, Pimpedout97x, Troy_Audi0, got_focus?, Karleon, Jamaica2G, rtillare, dumple, JohnnyBusa, mattmcss, whitem1ke88, nineball

Lakota is offline Doesn't Know $hit

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tune the R's low... My new box is around 34 or 35 and I don't like it much (I can change the tuning, it's an aerobox, btw). My old box was tuned around 32, and sounded so much better on the lows.

Ben Hemp
    1992 GMC Sonoma Ext Cab NEW BUILD
    2008 MECA S1 KY State Champion, 151.0 dB
    2008 MECA S1 WorldChampion, 151.8 dB
    2010 MECA scores: 150.9 dB S2, 151.6 dB S3
    Refs: smd4life, Subst4nce, wccoug21, dacheatham, thegreatestpenn, jshak07

joeldirt is offline Integrity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phreaker
    Well I am going to go to Home Depot tonight to get a sheet of 3/4" thick MDF to build a ported box for my two 12" 2005 Alpine Type R's powered by a Lanzar OPTI2000D at 1 ohm.

I'll have them do the cuts for me just becuase I don't have access to any saws and a buddy of mine is going to cut the circles for the speaker baffle.

I am stuck between two of Moe Lesters Slotport boxes for my Type R's.

Would the 4 cubes tuned to 35Hz wang or would I get a more noticable difference in SPL output with the 5^3 tuned to 34Hz?

Box 1: http://img10.imageshack.us/my.php?im...z50sqin5bn.png

Box 2: http://img35.imageshack.us/my.php?im...z75sqin1us.png

I would go with the larger enclosure if you have the space for it.

Closed Thread