Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: New box help

Mick87 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

New box help

I currently have 2 12" Kicker CVR's in a small sealed box (approx 2.5CF). I am NOT getting the sound I want out of them and I am powering them by a Kenwood 9152D 1800W Amp. I would like to hear ALOT more LOWS and alot LOUDER sound. I feel that my box is limiting them and I am killing my subs in this box. My current box is divided into 2 sections. 1 for each sub (approx 1.2 CF per sub)

Could I cut a port into my sealed box that I have right now? If so, where should I cut it and how big?

If not, then...

I want to build a ported box for them but I am not sure what dimensions I need or the proper way to port the box. I have never dealt with ported boxes before so if anyone could help a n00b out a little bit, it will be greatly appreciated.

What size ported-box do alot of people build for 2 12" subs?
    What are the dimensions of the box and/or ports?

Thanks in advance and any information is appreciated

yne721 is offline SWINE FLU!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: New box help

i'm no genius, but if you turned a sealed box into a ported box, it probably wouldn't be big enough to sound good..

edit: read the manual on the sub, and look at the required space for a ported box for 1, then multiply that number by two. that's how big your box should be, at least.

Давайте познакомимся

Mick87 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yne721
    i'm no genius, but if you turned a sealed box into a ported box, it probably wouldn't be big enough to sound good..

edit: read the manual on the sub, and look at the required space for a ported box for 1, then multiply that number by two. that's how big your box should be, at least.
    Thats what I was thinking but I wasn't exactly sure. Unfortunately I lost the manual for the subs, so I am not sure what recommended CF I need to port the box or what the subs need. Does anyone know what 2 12"Kicker CompCVR's need? As far as Cubic footage??

Thanks

Mick87 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

My current box dimensions are 30.5"X13.5"X16.5" if that helps at all. This box is sealed with a divider in the middle. I am looking to go bigger and port it. thanks

Mick87 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cmon! help a guy out

Mick87 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So your telling me that nobody on this site has any advice???

Mick87 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I was searching around for boxes and I came across this one: http://www.millionbuy.com/hbx12vega.html

Will I hear a significant difference in my sound? Also, is this a decent price for a box like this? If not, what are some other sites that sell sub boxes? What are some boxes that you guys recommend?

Let me know,

thanks

joeldirt is offline Integrity

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

PM PV audio for a design... he'll hook you up...

if he can't.... go to powenaudio... they are good designers willing to help.. they charge but its woth it... Also... there are options for designs in Moe Lesters sticky at the top of the box building forum page.... go to the kicker website and scope out what they recomend... the kicker web site has plans for the speakers I believe... Moe has some options that are self explanitory to build...
    good luck.

I wouldnt recomend turning your sealed box into a ported one... it is not worth the effort due to it just isn't going to increase volume of out put because you actually decreased the volume of the enclosure by adding port area, and as small as the box is it just wouldnt work...

Mick87 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by joeldirt
    PM PV audio for a design... he'll hook you up...

if he can't.... go to powenaudio... they are good designers willing to help.. they charge but its woth it... Also... there are options for designs in Moe Lesters sticky at the top of the box building forum page.... go to the kicker website and scope out what they recomend... the kicker web site has plans for the speakers I believe... Moe has some options that are self explanitory to build...
    good luck.

I wouldnt recomend turning your sealed box into a ported one... it is not worth the effort due to it just isn't going to increase volume of out put because you actually decreased the volume of the enclosure by adding port area, and as small as the box is it just wouldnt work...
    Thanks for the help I think I am just going to buy one on the internet cause I dont have that kind of money and/or time to get a design all drawn out.

Will the box I found be louder than mine now? If so, will it be significantly louder or just a little?? Also, does anyone know the recommened Cubic footage that the CompVR's require? I cannot find out. Personal opinions welcomed

Any other information is appreciated. Thanks!

Mick87 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So how about this box I wanna buy? Ya think its worth it or not? Will I hear a difference?

DarkFox is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Kicker says for deep bass you need at least 2.25cu. ft. per woofer. You can see specs here: http://www.kicker.com/06/tech-suppor...b%20Manual.pdf

Also, I like to use this site hear http://www.darkscience.com.au/caraudiohowto/slotcalc/ for figuring port requirements. When I dont want to take the time to plug everything into winISD that is.

Assuming two woofers with 12.64 mm Xmax, and tunned to 34 hz. your looking at a minimum of 47.09sq." of port area. The easy way to do a port is make it fit from the top of the box to the bottom... So I usualy go with like a 14" tall box for 12s unless I need more or less space. So when you go to calulate the port, I do someththing like, 50/14 = 3.57XXXX I like to round up to the nearest 1/4" so i would do a port 14" X 3.75" and you get 52.5sq. " of port area. put that into a
    4.5cu. ft box and you need a 19.34" port for 34Hz.

This is all assuming you want to tune for something like 34Hz and that you are using the 05 or above versions. also, the calculations are assuming you already took out sub displacement and port displacement. Good luck though, and remember, this isnt a whole desighn, just what I came up with in about 5 minutes... If your stuff is diffrent then just follow the process and find/fill in your information

Mick87 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the reply but I dont think I am going to build my box. I dont have the time right now. I was just inquiring about this box: http://www.millionbuy.com/hbx12vega.html

I wanna just make sure its the right CF which I found it to be 4.6cf and I wanna know if it will be alot louder from my current box: 3.93cf SEALED.

Any help??? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

4.6 is outer dimensions, inner probably like 4.3 - the two ports (no tunning given) - the subs... its gonna be smaller then what you want. and who knows what its tunned too.. For that price, just build your own... you probably can do it with 1 sheet.. 2 tops. It would be cheap and you would know its built right.

Mick87 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hrmmm... ****! Cause I dont have the time or knowledge to tune it correctly or to know what I want. If someone gave me some plans with dimensions for each cut I could do that for sure. But I am not sure on the port size or tuning or how to figure any of that stuff out.

Who can draw me some plans??? I am willing to pay also.

Thanks again guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Why are people so quick to throw money at a problem... Theres a sticky with like 100 desighns.... i would use this one for that setup http://img35.imageshack.us/my.php?im...725sqin9vp.png

leaves you with 4.5 cubis feet tunned to 35hz. Will give those subs the space they need and should bump well. just make sure it will fit in our car before you build it. Also, takes pics and post a worklog so that others may learn.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast